Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-30-2019, 04:52 AM   #1
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Is pw4 firmware 5.12.1 flawed

Hello guys,

Since when I updated my kindle to fw 5.12.1 I noticed that my battery drains EXTREMELY fast.
I used to stay... I don't know, at least a couple of weeks with one charge (probably more).
Now I loose half the charge with less than two days.

Is this a thing, or just my imagination?
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:34 AM   #2
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
If you have that anti-update folder in your visible top level USB directory, then probably yes, the battery drain increases.

I remember there was a discussion on that about a week ago.
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2019, 05:48 AM   #3
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
If you have that anti-update folder in your visible top level USB directory, then probably yes, the battery drain increases.

I remember there was a discussion on that about a week ago.
update.bin.tmp.partial?
I do. And endless try-and-delete loop?
Let's see!
Old 07-30-2019, 06:12 AM   #4
Ruskie_it
Fanatic

Uhmm nope. Removed that, but the cpu consumption is still sky high...
Old 07-30-2019, 08:09 AM   #5
_graham
_graham began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I had a similar issue with my Oasis whereby the battery drained very quickly after updating to the latest firmware.

Restarting the device didn't seem to help and in the end the solution for me was to allow the device to completely drain its battery (until the battery expired image appeared on the screen).

After which I charged it back up to full and the issue seems to have disappeared, with battery consumption back to normal.

Hopefully the same trick will work for you! =)
_graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2019, 10:11 AM   #6
Ruskie_it
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by _graham View Post
I had a similar issue with my Oasis whereby the battery drained very quickly after updating to the latest firmware.

Restarting the device didn't seem to help and in the end the solution for me was to allow the device to completely drain its battery (until the battery expired image appeared on the screen).

After which I charged it back up to full and the issue seems to have disappeared, with battery consumption back to normal.

Hopefully the same trick will work for you! =)
Hmm... I'll try this, too!
So you had your kindle show the large drained battery icon?
Old 07-30-2019, 10:21 AM   #7
_graham

Yup, I let the battery go down (clicking okay to the low battery warnings) until it had completely discharged and the large battery depleted icon was shown.

Then charged it up to full again and everything seemed to be back to normal.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:25 AM   #8
Ruskie_it
Fanatic

Quote:
Yup, I let the battery go down (clicking okay to the low battery warnings) until it had completely discharged and the large battery depleted icon was shown.

Then charged it up to full again and everything seemed to be back to normal.
Thanks, I'll try!
Old 07-30-2019, 10:32 AM   #9
_graham

Sweet, let me know how you get on.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:26 AM   #10
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
My battery last for only two or three days. Wait, never mind, I'm using it.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:04 PM   #11
Ruskie_it
Fanatic

Quote:
Sweet, let me know how you get on.
Hey Graham,

I think I solved that in another way.
I asked a related question in the developer's subforum, and through the logs I learned that my boy was trying and failing to connect to the network, over and over again.

So I disengaged the airplane mode and let it roam free for a few minutes, then engaed it back.
Now cpu sits at 5-10% as normal (or almost normal, I have no idea what the regular consumption should be).
I'll keep the thread updated in case this does not solve the issue.

Thanks for helping!
Old 07-30-2019, 12:05 PM   #12
Ruskie_it
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
My battery last for only two or three days. Wait, never mind, I'm using it.
Yeah, but it's not normal. You can try one of the two workarounds mentioned here and see if it works
Old 07-30-2019, 12:09 PM   #13
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskie_it View Post
Hey Graham,

I think I solved that in another way.
I asked a related question in the developer's subforum, and through the logs I learned that my boy was trying and failing to connect to the network, over and over again.

So I disengaged the airplane mode and let it roam free for a few minutes, then engaed it back.
Now cpu sits at 5-10% as normal (or almost normal, I have no idea what the regular consumption should be).
I'll keep the thread updated in case this does not solve the issue.

Thanks for helping!
If it was repeatedly trying to connect to the network while in airplane mode, then the answer to your question is yes, 5.12.1 firmware is flawed.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:22 PM   #14
Ruskie_it
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
If it was repeatedly trying to connect to the network while in airplane mode, then the answer to your question is yes, 5.12.1 firmware is flawed.
Lol, oookay, then yes it is!
Know what, though? I wouldn't SWEAR on that, but I think that I kinda noticed this in at least one other case right after a fw upgrade... Maybe it's "normal".... maybe one should allow some time online after the upgrade? Who knows.

I'm thinking (might be hugely wrong here): I normally download the .bin fw and upgrade it manually since I am jbroken and control that process quite strictly. When I update the fw, the Kindle is in airplane mode, as it always is, for me.

BUT, the "usual" way the fw is updated is via automatic download once you are connected, right? Maybe the update process erroneously supposes that the kindle is online, and so tries to send something back to the amazon servers (like: DeviceID Gxxxx-xxxx-xx-xxxx has updated to fw ver 5.12.1), trying over and over, because, it THINKS, the device must be online...
Don't know, maybe I'm just being stupid huh, just my 2c.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:34 PM   #15
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskie_it View Post
Lol, oookay, then yes it is!
Know what, though? I wouldn't SWEAR on that, but I think that I kinda noticed this in at least one other case right after a fw upgrade... Maybe it's "normal".... maybe one should allow some time online after the upgrade? Who knows.

I'm thinking (might be hugely wrong here): I normally download the .bin fw and upgrade it manually since I am jbroken and control that process quite strictly. When I update the fw, the Kindle is in airplane mode, as it always is, for me.

BUT, the "usual" way the fw is updated is via automatic download once you are connected, right? Maybe the update process erroneously supposes that the kindle is online, and so tries to send something back to the amazon servers (like: DeviceID Gxxxx-xxxx-xx-xxxx has updated to fw ver 5.12.1), trying over and over, because, it THINKS, the device must be online...
Don't know, maybe I'm just being stupid huh, just my 2c.
Not stupid, that is plausible. But if so, it is definitely a bug because people can have internet access without wifi and amazon has made firmware updates for installation over USB available for a long time.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote