Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-23-2019, 05:16 PM   #1
lucasrato
Enthusiast
lucasrato began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4
Will I lose Amazon support if I Jailbreak my Kindle?

So, I'm with a Kindle with factory firmware jailbreakable, but I didn't do it because I'm doing some processes at Amazon and I was afraid I would lose its support. But now they're asking for me to update my Kindle, so I thought of jailbreaking it, then updating it and send the logs to them, but for sure they'll notice it. If so, Amazon will block me or something like that?
lucasrato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:10 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasrato View Post
So, I'm with a Kindle with factory firmware jailbreakable, but I didn't do it because I'm doing some processes at Amazon and I was afraid I would lose its support. But now they're asking for me to update my Kindle, so I thought of jailbreaking it, then updating it and send the logs to them, but for sure they'll notice it. If so, Amazon will block me or something like that?
Jailbreak is don't ask don't tell. There should be no problem with support.

Amazon always asks everybody to update whether it has anything to do with the problem or not. Updating to the version of your choice should be done after the jailbreak and before adding any packages. You can do your business with amazon after that update.

Be warned that if you update to 5.12.x it is very likely you can no longer block automatic updates without staying in airplane mode.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2019, 06:14 PM   #3
lucasrato
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Jailbreak is don't ask don't tell. There should be no problem with support.

Amazon always asks everybody to update whether it has anything to do with the problem or not. Updating to the version of your choice should be done after the jailbreak and before adding any packages. You can do your business with amazon after that update.

Be warned that if you update to 5.12.x it is very likely you can no longer block automatic updates without staying in airplane mode.
Yep, but there's no problem in updating it AFTER the JB, right? I know if I update it BEFORE I won't be able to JB it anymore, but my question is just because they were asking for me to send some logs and they would notice the JB
Old 07-23-2019, 06:18 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Yep, but there's no problem in updating it AFTER the JB, right? I know if I update it BEFORE I won't be able to JB it anymore, but my question is just because they were asking for me to send some logs and they would notice the JB
I don't think JB shows up in logs.

JB with hotfix survives updates, but 5.12.x will very likely do bad things to JB Kindles.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:24 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I do somewhat extensively rely on system logging (which is why I keep asking people for them when there's an issue ;p).

So, the install process will log, and most of my stuff will log.

It's pretty much never been an issue, given the fact that logs have been uploaded silently by default in a regular manner by Kindles since pretty much forever.
Granted, those automated log uploads probably rarely go through human parsing, but, still.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2019, 08:24 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
The jail break is a single file, not subject to being logged.

What do you mean by "factory firmware"?
That term gets misunderstood a number of different ways.

NOTE:
What you need to do, in order:
*) Jail break the Kindle.
*) Install the "hotfix" (which among other things, makes the jail break viral - but it is a good kind of virus).
*) Install a customer firmware (avoid 5.12.anything if possible).
If you don't know how to select previous customer firmware packages on the Amazon server - ask someone here.

WHY:
*) that installs our package signature certificate, same location that Amazon uses for their package signature certificates.

*) HF - An Amazon update package will over-write our signature certificate, but the logic of the viral "hotfix" will auto-replace it when the new update package finishes.

*) Customer firmware - If you really, actually, have a "factory firmware", which has the update package name of "factory" installed from one of our servers, then you really, really should replace it with a customer-use firmware build.
(and that might also 'fix' whatever problem you must be having)

Last edited by knc1; 07-23-2019 at 08:26 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:00 PM   #7
lucasrato
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The jail break is a single file, not subject to being logged.

What do you mean by "factory firmware"?
That term gets misunderstood a number of different ways.

NOTE:
What you need to do, in order:
*) Jail break the Kindle.
*) Install the "hotfix" (which among other things, makes the jail break viral - but it is a good kind of virus).
*) Install a customer firmware (avoid 5.12.anything if possible).
If you don't know how to select previous customer firmware packages on the Amazon server - ask someone here.

WHY:
*) that installs our package signature certificate, same location that Amazon uses for their package signature certificates.

*) HF - An Amazon update package will over-write our signature certificate, but the logic of the viral "hotfix" will auto-replace it when the new update package finishes.

*) Customer firmware - If you really, actually, have a "factory firmware", which has the update package name of "factory" installed from one of our servers, then you really, really should replace it with a customer-use firmware build.
(and that might also 'fix' whatever problem you must be having)
Ok, so here's the full story:

My kindle was presenting some issues, I asked for support at Amazon, they sent me a new kindle. I turned it on, without internet, created the folder to avoid auto-update, and put it in airplane mode. That's what I meant when I said "factory firmware", it's the 4.10.0.2 (or .3, can't remember, I'm not near it right now). And was using the blacklisted kindle normally, doing updates on it.

Today the attendant called me and said: "hey, I just saw through your logs and your kindle is in an older version, we'll need you to update it to see if your problem goes on" then I said "oh, I've updated it, but the problem continues" because that's what I did with the blacklisted one. Then she said: "are you with your kindle nearby? we'll need you to do some procedures in order to sync with us, because it is still showing that you're outdated".

So, supposing I do the JB, then update it to 5.12.1, what's the possible outcomes?
1. I'll lose the JB, if so, will I be able to JB it again? I don't think so, right?
2. It will brick, if so, will Amazon help me with that?
Old 07-29-2019, 02:02 PM   #8
lucasrato
Enthusiast

So, I just jailbroken my kindle

already installed KUAL and KOReader, it's awesome!

The thing is: I'm still with 5.10.1.3 (and I believe it's still factory). How do I know if I can update it to 5.12.1. Or even how do I know what's the last version the hotfix works?

Old 07-29-2019, 02:14 PM   #9
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
@lucasrato,

To be safe, don't install 5.12.x just yet. It might have new measures to force auto-updates, as was discussed on this forum earlier.

You can install customer firmware like 5.11.x (from Amazon Update page for your Kindle) and then immediately apply JB Hotfix, reinstall all packages and you are good to go.

(Essentially, you needed to install a customer firmware before you install KUAL, etc)
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:26 PM   #10
lucasrato
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
@lucasrato,

To be safe, don't install 5.12.x just yet. It might have new measures to force auto-updates, as was discussed on this forum earlier.

You can install customer firmware like 5.11.x (from Amazon Update page for your Kindle) and then immediately apply JB Hotfix, reinstall all packages and you are good to go.

(Essentially, you needed to install a customer firmware before you install KUAL, etc)
Is there a way to know if my hotfix is fully working? I'm afraid I update it to a customer firmware and lose it all...
Old 07-29-2019, 04:51 PM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
If you can install the hotfix, your hotfix is working. Plus, doing that will triple-check that your hotfix will keep working. .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:07 PM   #12
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
@lucasrato,

Yeah, you are essentially safe! Just make sure NOT to install the 5.12.x firmware.

Let me get a direct link to 5.11.x for you (currently there is only the latest 5.12.x available for direct download, but you can just change the numbers in the end of the download link):
https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredow...ite_5.11.2.bin

Again, make sure to install the hotfix right after you update!
Then reinstall all packages you already have to make them work.
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:23 PM   #13
lucasrato
Enthusiast

I still did not updated it. Because of laziness and some kind of fear I'll lose my JB.

The thing is: They just called me from amazon and collected my logs to see about the problem I told about

What is going to happen?
Old 08-09-2019, 06:20 PM   #14
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
I still did not updated it. Because of laziness and some kind of fear I'll lose my JB.

The thing is: They just called me from amazon and collected my logs to see about the problem I told about

What is going to happen?
Depends upon what the logs show. If the logs show it to be a known issue they will tell you what they have found will solve it, if a solution is known. They might need to ask you to take further actions, such as downloading and working with a known book and sending them logs again, if your logs don't show clearly what the problem is.

If they tell you the issue is fixed in a later firmware, ask what level it was fixed in. As noted earlier in the thread, stay away from the 5.12.x series at this point unless you are ready to keep the unit in airplane mode and transfer all documents via USB.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:22 PM   #15
lucasrato
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
Depends upon what the logs show. If the logs show it to be a known issue they will tell you what they have found will solve it, if a solution is known. They might need to ask you to take further actions, such as downloading and working with a known book and sending them logs again, if your logs don't show clearly what the problem is.
Ok, but my fear is: I'm Jailbroken, and I'm still using a factory version. This will show up in log. This won't generate any problems forme?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
stay away from the 5.12.x series at this point unless you are ready to keep the unit in airplane mode and transfer all documents via USB.
Wait. WHAT? If I update to the 5.12.x and the hotfix doesn't work, I'll lose not only my JB but also my connection to amazon?