Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 07-16-2019, 04:44 PM   #1
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
InkPad 3 native reader.

Currently I have the Kindle Voyage and the Oasis 2 but I want a bigger screen plus the smart light and thinking of purchasing the InkPad 3, what's the native reader like compared to the Kindle?.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:52 PM   #2
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO.PocketBook.ONYX
Hi !

It is very good, it also supports TTS in multiple languages, not just ENG as Oasis.
You also have the option to install SW like KOREADER on Inkpad and so on.
*Also the ePUB or CBR - CBZ format option

I think you will be satisfied overall ;-)

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 07-16-2019 at 05:55 PM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2019, 01:47 PM   #3
VladimirS
Connoisseur
VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
I have very good experince with default reader. Again, epub files are best for displaying and reading, and also well formated pdf files, scanned or not scanned, and using of margin cropping is awesome!
VladimirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 01:59 PM   #4
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by VladimirS View Post
I have very good experince with default reader. Again, epub files are best for displaying and reading, and also well formated pdf files, scanned or not scanned, and using of margin cropping is awesome!
I'm curious what you compare with?

Coming from Kobo I found it buggy and inferior.

It doesn't show images if in certain sizes. (I spent hours on this and sent a very detailed report to Pocketbook support. No changes in the new firmware...)

Some books with "not perfect" code simply hangs. Suppose you can't complain when it can't handle erroneous code, but it should say something and not hang (and pretty much most other reading software can handle the examples I happened to have).

It doesn't support a bunch of stuff in the epub specification, and probably none of the 3.x stuff.

And other various things.

But for most epubs it's ok and the screen and lightning is great and all-in-all a great product I'm happy with when reading.

(But there is a reason why pretty much everyone on the russian and german forums install coolreader directly.)
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:04 PM   #5
VladimirS
Connoisseur
VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
You are right. I am relatively new to erader story. I do not have experience with many different epub formats. My usage of Pocketbook default reader is mainly scanned PDFs. Mozilla have online epub converter that translates complete web pages to epub format. But you are right, some of the pictures and page elements are not converted properly...
But is very convenient if you want some intresting online staff to view on Ebook reader...
VladimirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2019, 05:34 PM   #6
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
As others have said the native reader is good. The physical user interface not so great; with the Voyage and Oasis you have buttons on the side(s). With the Pocketbook they are inconveniently located at the bottom. But if you prefer to tap or swipe the screen then that shouldn't be an issue.

The Kobo Forma has the best physical user interface of all in my opinion and a good built in reader. But you've probably seen the various complaints about uneven lighting so it's a crap shot if you order it online. Maybe get one from a local retailer (e.g., Walmart) so you can take it back if it's a dud?
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:01 AM   #7
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
If you like, please try this epub and see if all the images get shown. (If it does, please state what model and sw-version you have.)
Attached Files
File Type: epub bildtest - 0.02.epub (7.30 MB, 222 views)
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:57 PM   #8
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
If you like, please try this epub and see if all the images get shown. (If it does, please state what model and sw-version you have.)
Model PB740, software U740.5.20.1010.

For the second series of the rock in the sky/lake with text under it, the 1900x2026 did not display; I got a blank page. The first two of the vegetables did not display; blank page.

On the Kindle Oasis, 9th gen, previous firmware, all images displayed correctly. Although the azw3 file was "malformed" when I let Calibre convert the mobi to azw3 because the Kindle said it was the end of the book after the first creative self hypnosis cover. Then I used Amazon's kindlegen.exe and converted the epub into a dual mobi (it contains the obsolete old mobi files as well as the azw3 files) and then it displayed everything.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:08 PM   #9
lumpynose
Wizard

I should add that although the Pocketbook failed patrik's image test, for my reading it doesn't matter. All I read is fiction/novels. The only time they have images is sometimes a fantasy novel will have a map at the beginning or on the inside of the front and back covers, but I've never needed them.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:25 AM   #10
macnuts
macnuts began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
I should add that although the Pocketbook failed patrik's image test, for my reading it doesn't matter. All I read is fiction/novels. The only time they have images is sometimes a fantasy novel will have a map at the beginning or on the inside of the front and back covers, but I've never needed them.
While a completely reasonable standpoint of a particular end-user; looks like a whole PocketBook dev team shares it too :-(.
macnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:28 AM   #11
eMole
Zealot
eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch HD, PocketBook Era
I cannot make a comparison to a Kindle, but I've had three other readers before the PB and this is my best so far.

Still, there's room for improvement. Like ePub3 support (at least the metadata), and extra-size pictures.
eMole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 05:55 AM   #12
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
I'm curious what you compare with?
Indeed it all depends on what one is comparing with. Kindle cannot be compared with any other device straightforwardly, because Kindle does not display epubs, while all other devices do.

In my experience, the inbuilt Pocketbook reader is sufficient. You can set margins and line density beyond what is needed, install your own fonts without obstacles, and this is enough for most purposes. The only thing I am missing is inverted screen, but this (plus a host of other refinements, such as adjusting pics embedded in epubs) is fixed by installing Coolreader and Koreader.

Different from Kindle, installing other software is unproblematic on Pocketbooks. And different from Kindle, Pocketbook devices open a bunch of formats instead of only those bought from Amazon. And the 7.8" screen is large enough for viewing pdf and djvu files of all sorts.

Last edited by mobama; 09-01-2019 at 05:57 AM.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote