Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-07-2019, 04:06 PM   #1
peter.falken
peter.falken began at the beginning.

Device: KT2, KPW3
Firmware downgrade over serial.

Good day everyone - I'm new here.
I recently acquire a second hand KT2 - and since it came with firmware 5.11.1.1 I realized after enough reading that it wasn't possible to do a JB over software. I have now soldered terminals to the serial port.

I was wondering if it is possible to just extract the rootfs.img from the factory update and rewrite the mmcblk1 partition with the content of this image using dd over the serial connection?

I can see that on the update images sometimes there is a uImage, which I believe to be the kernel, but I'm not sure if the kernel and the rootfs.img must match.
peter.falken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:50 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter.falken View Post
Good day everyone - I'm new here.
I recently acquire a second hand KT2 - and since it came with firmware 5.11.1.1 I realized after enough reading that it wasn't possible to do a JB over software. I have now soldered terminals to the serial port.

I was wondering if it is possible to just extract the rootfs.img from the factory update and rewrite the mmcblk1 partition with the content of this image using dd over the serial connection?

I can see that on the update images sometimes there is a uImage, which I believe to be the kernel, but I'm not sure if the kernel and the rootfs.img must match.
The rootfs.img and the kernel MUST match.
(The kernel's modules are inside of the rootfs.img - modules must match the kernel.)

Do not attempt to install the "Main" rootfs.img using fastboot, it is too big and will silently fail.

You would do best to follow the guides posted here.
Note, Amazon/Linux devices where dual boot;
The Google/Linux (a.k.a: Android) are dual mode, not true dual boot.
That KT2 is most likely one of the Androidized models, so you will probably need to re-work the serial, dual boot, tutorials listed here.

PS: Before doing all of that, see if your KT2 can be "Factory Use Only" jail broken.
For a long time, the KT2 could be jail broken.
Try:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=320564
First post only, then follow the directions in that post to find the correct copy of the KT2 factory image(s).
That factory image will either be rejected (error 12, downgrade attempted) or it will simply install (5 to 10 minutes).

- - - - -

Your name seems familiar, I will see if I can drag it out of my old memories.

Last edited by knc1; 06-07-2019 at 07:00 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
serial recovery