Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 04-05-2019, 01:48 AM   #1
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Trouble Connecting to CC? [Windows 10]

This is strictly informational. I often run a VPN from the same computer in which calibre resides. This VPN creates an unidentified public network to go along with my private network. Since, for all practical purposes, the VPN bypasses the router's firewall this makes sense.

Needless to say when I attempted to connect to calibre from CC it failed. This happens even though I am not using the VPN when trying to connect. The quick workaround for me is to simply turn off the public firewall (its not needed when not connected through the VPN). Connect to calibre via CC, do my business, disconnect from calibre and turn the public firewall back on.

Fortunately the public firewall doesn't affect anything else on my local network. Just thought this info might help someone else sort through a connection issue they might be having.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:13 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Thanks for the info.

Also for info: the problem arises because by default a "public" network blocks all incoming connections from the local network. You can change that setting, but that does open the possibility that apps other than CC can connect to the computer. You would, of course, need to allow calibre to accept connections when in "public" mode.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2019, 08:20 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Thanks for the info.
Obviously this info came from your FAQ, without which I may never had figured it out. I just repackaged it, so the thanks go to you.

Quote:
Also for info: the problem arises because by default a "public" network blocks all incoming connections from the local network. You can change that setting, but that does open the possibility that apps other than CC can connect to the computer.
I guess I never found this setting, but it makes no never mind. It seems the connection for all my other devices (Scanner, NAS, Roku, Printer etc...) are initiated from the computer so this firewall is not an issue. Since I infrequently need to actually connect CC to my computer I think I'll just stick to my work around. Thanks for the insight.

Quote:
You would, of course, need to allow calibre to accept connections when in "public" mode.
I did this but apparently without doing your step above it was unsuccessful and since I do use a VPN, most likely not finding that setting was for the best
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote