Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-20-2019, 12:58 AM   #1
madeleinelevy
Enthusiast
madeleinelevy began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Empty comment not identified by comment:false search

A comment:false search dosn't identified at least one book with an empty comment field.

Now what?
madeleinelevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:25 AM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Is the comments field actually empty or are there perhaps invisible tags when viewed in rich text mode?

e.g.
Code:
<div></div>
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2019, 07:15 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Is the comments field actually empty or are there perhaps invisible tags when viewed in rich text mode?

e.g.
Code:
<div></div>
Yep
Code view (HTML view) is your friend
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:41 AM   #4
madeleinelevy
Enthusiast
madeleinelevy began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Sorry, should have included that in my initial post.

HTML field empty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HTML.png
Views:	246
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	170330  
madeleinelevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:56 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeleinelevy View Post
A comment:false search dosn't identified at least one book with an empty comment field.

Now what?
shoulda caught that the first time
Code:
comments:false
Advert
Old 03-22-2019, 04:16 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Tip: When a search term doesn't produce the expected results try using Advanced Search (gear icon on far left of search bar), chances are you will spot any mistakes such as this one immediately.

AFAIK it's one of the few places reference is made to the actual lookup name 'comments', viz:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-03-23 071420.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	170339

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:43 PM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
shoulda caught that the first time
Code:
comments:false
Like author/authors, both "comment" and "comments" work for search.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:13 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Like author/authors, both "comment" and "comments" work for search.
Never knew that

I only recently discovered that 'date' can be substituted for the lookup name 'timestamp'. My gut tells me it's a recent innovation, interestingly the Advanced Date search dialogue uses the Header Names in its drop down selector.

BR
Old 03-22-2019, 05:25 PM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Never knew that

I only recently discovered that 'date' can be substituted for the lookup name 'timestamp'. My gut tells me it's a recent innovation, interestingly the Advanced Date search dialogue uses the Header Names in its drop down selector.
I didn't either. My gut reaction was because it's missing the "s" so I tried searching using comment:true and comment:false before I replied. Lo and behold, both worked.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:44 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
I didn't either. My gut reaction was because it's missing the "s" so I tried searching using comment:true and comment:false before I replied. Lo and behold, both worked.
Then I'm not sure we've solved the OPs problem

@madeleinelevy - if you search for comments:true does the book show up - if not then that seems bizzare, not true, not false - must be fake truth

Suggestion - the Bulk Metadata Edit dialogue has a button to set Comments to a common value - you'll need to select at lease two books, set them to something, then set them to nothing.

If all else fails save the book, remove the book, re add the book - with title and author from file name - i.e. no extra metadata.

BR
Old 03-22-2019, 05:51 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Then I'm not sure we've solved the OPs problem

@madeleinelevy - if you search for comments:true does the book show up - if not then that seems bizzare, not true, not false - must be fake truth

Suggestion - the Bulk Metadata Edit dialogue has a button to set Comments to a common value - you'll need to select at lease two books, set them to something, then set them to nothing.

If all else fails save the book, remove the book, re add the book - with title and author from file name - i.e. no extra metadata.

BR
I was originally thinking: White text. BUT the image is the HTML view for comments, and I don't know how that could be set to white on white
Old 03-22-2019, 06:36 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I was originally thinking: White text. BUT the image is the HTML view for comments, and I don't know how that could be set to white on white
WoW was my first thought too, but you beat me to it. Could it be some sort of weird unicode character(s)?

@madeleinelevy - if you have the book in epub and you use the update metadata option in Polish Book, then that will put the Comments into the opf.description. You can then look at what's in there using an epub editor, and IIRC Tools->Reports->Characters includes what's the opf file so you could also use it to see if there are any really weird characters.

BR