Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-01-2019, 07:27 PM   #1
Futuregrace
Zealot
Futuregrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, iPad Pro 11, Voyage
Nova Vs Nova Pro

I’m looking to get nova primarily as ereader for books, maybe occasional game of sudoku. Is there any advantage to buy the Pro version? Or are they the same except for one works with stylus?
Futuregrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:14 PM   #2
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
So far as I am aware, the only difference is the pro version includes the use of the stylus.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2019, 12:00 PM   #3
maximus83
Nameless Being

Do these devices from Onyx run 'pure' Android 6 and Google store? It looks like on their website they are talking about some kind of specialty 'e-ink store' of their own. If so, then I wonder if you HAVE to use their apps or can still use stock Android apps from Google store. I wouldn't think most users buying an 'Android' tablet would want to be locked into the Onyx proprietary app store (if that's actually the case).

Here's the comment from their site that made me wonder:

https://onyxboox.com/boox_nova
Quote:
Download third-party Apps for your Nova from our EInk App store

In order to provide better user experience to the third-party Apps on BOOX, we introduced BOOX EInk App Store from firmware V1.9.1. The Apps downloaded from the store would be more compatible with slower-refresh EInk screens.

Last edited by maximus83; 03-02-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:24 PM   #4
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Google Play Store works fine on my Onyx Note running the latest firmware. I have been able to download apps including apps which I already purchased on another device. My apps also get updated if I so choose.

I think they may have opened their own app store to offer/push apps that work well with eink. Although you can install thousands of apps from the Play Store, most of them won't work well on an eink device.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:10 PM   #5
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
Do these devices from Onyx run 'pure' Android 6 and Google store? It looks like on their website they are talking about some kind of specialty 'e-ink store' of their own. If so, then I wonder if you HAVE to use their apps or can still use stock Android apps from Google store. I wouldn't think most users buying an 'Android' tablet would want to be locked into the Onyx proprietary app store (if that's actually the case).

Here's the comment from their site that made me wonder:

https://onyxboox.com/boox_nova
I have a Nova and google play works fine.
From google play i use perfect viewer for cbr comics and pressreader for newspapers.
For pdf and epub i'm fine with default apps.
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2019, 11:36 AM   #6
maximus83
Nameless Being

Have you tried their e-ink store that they talk about? I wonder if those apps work better than some of the google play counterparts.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:54 PM   #7
Question Mark
Wizard

From what I recall, most of the apps are Chinese ones geared towards the domestic market as is the "Shop" for purchasing ebooks. There are a few other apps such as Koreade, Kindle and Kobo, which have apparently been optimized for eink ereaders. Haven't tried them as I don't really need them at the moment. The few which I've installed from the Play Store work fine for me.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:34 PM   #8
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
If the Boox eInk app store proves unsuitable, you might wish to try the Good e-Reader App Store for eInk. I installed it on my Monte Carlo 4 (which lacks a pre-installed App Store), and it seems to work okay -- though I haven't used it much.
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote