Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-03-2019, 05:37 PM   #1
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Using Calibre Tags as an alternative to Bookmarks?

Hi,

I'm having trouble keeping track of relevant passages, in relevant works, on various topics. A lot of the time these passages are relevant to smething I expect to return to, but can't work on just yet.

My current reader, Clearview, keeps its own bookmarks and notes, but can't keep too many bookmarks or notes. Many other readers either don't support my scrolling tools, or don't support bookmarks, or re-process files to attach bookmarks.

I'm thnking about adding yet another Calibre column, and using it to list projects and relevant pages.

My 1st concern is that I have rsi, and this can be a lot to type. My 2nd concern is that epubs and mobis don't usually come with page numbers. My 3rd concern is that with regular bookmarks, it's a lot easier to get to the relevant pages.

Have any of you tried something similar?

Thanks!
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 06:45 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@MarjaE - calibre version 4 will include a new ebook-viewer that will include annotations and such like, so you might not want to invest too much before seeing what it might provide.

Maybe Kovid will drop a few hints

And maybe the recently added Entities Manager plugin could be of some use to you. My take on it is this, it provides a set of 'building blocks" (notes, links and associations) with which one can build information networks about authors, books, series, publishers, tags, and user created 'entities'.

Maybe DaltonST will make some comments

Meantime I have another idea, but I need to 'experiment'.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2019, 10:10 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
version 4 will indeed have a new viewer, but sadly I dont think the annotations support will be done for 4.0, but will come after.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 10:18 PM   #4
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you both! I think I'm just going to add an extra column here...
Old 02-03-2019, 10:57 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Anyone know how to bookmark in the web viewer, or better yet highlight a passage of text, as in the selected text in this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	301.1 KB
ID:	169493

And is there a way to suppress/hide the 'action buttons' when I right click on the text, I want to use a clipper and it's obscuring what I want to clip.

@MarjaE - this relates to your issue

BR
Advert
Old 02-04-2019, 12:24 AM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
version 4 will indeed have a new viewer, but sadly I dont think the annotations support will be done for 4.0, but will come after.
Curious, how are you planning to implement annotations? EPUBCFI?

http://www.idpf.org/epub/linking/cfi/epub-cfi.html
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:47 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
yes the viewer already uses epubcfi for bookmarks and positions. The calibre viewer actually supported CFI before it was published in the epub standard.

bookmarks will come to the web viewer in calibre 4

IIRC there is now ay to turn of showing the controls when right clicking.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 05:22 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Meantime I have another idea, but I need to 'experiment'.

BR
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Anyone know how to bookmark in the web viewer, or better yet highlight a passage of text, as in the selected text in this:

Attachment 169493

And is there a way to suppress/hide the 'action buttons' when I right click on the text, I want to use a clipper and it's obscuring what I want to clip.

@MarjaE - this relates to your issue

BR
@MarjaE - my idea didn't quite work, the browser viewer lacks some features I thought it had -- I should have read the manual first

But one interesting sidelight, say you're reading a book in the browser viewer, and you want to remember a page - copy the URL into the clipboard, then paste that into a long text custom column using the Link tool with a suitable label. If the column is displayed in Book Details, and assuming the server is running, you can click the label and the page will be displayed in your browser. Something like bookmarks, but held within the library metadata rather than in the book, even in a another book's metadata or an Entities Manager Note attached to an Author or Series.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-04-2019 at 06:28 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 02-05-2019, 10:17 PM   #9
MarjaE
Guru

Hi,

I lost a couple bookmarks to link rot, but was able to write the remaining page numbers to Calibre, usually including info on the topics of these bookmarks.

Tags
bookmarks, calibre