Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-12-2019, 08:13 PM   #1
noisymime
noisymime began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
PW3 No USB mount. Can't copy jailbreak files

So, I've got what seems to be a bit of a unique problem on this PW3. The unit itself mostly works fine (Though has a strange reboot when waking up occasionally), but it will not mount the USB when plugged in. The storage itself seems to be OK, I can download books through the experimental browser just fine and they will work without a problem. When I plug in the USB though, I just get the normal USB connected screen, but nothing appears on the PC. The unit then appears to lock up, even when you disconnect the cable, and only a reboot brings it back.

I'm reasonably confident this is NOT a PC problem. I've tried 3 different laptops, different cables etc, it's just not there.

It's running FW 5.8.10.1 and doesn't seem likes it's ever going to update via OTA.

So I cracked it open, added the serial connection and removed the root password just fine (Including the DIY 3.3v->1.8v level converter that took some trial/error). But that's where I'm stuck. I can't get any .bin or other file onto the unit because it won't show the USB storage to a PC and the experimental browser only lets you download books. I can browse the contents of that partition just fine via the serial connection. I can create new files/directories through this as well, but can't copy anything from the PC.

Is there any method of copying files over the serial connection at all? Initially I just want to try putting the latest factory firmware on, if only I could copy the file. Being FW 5.8.10.1, there also doesn't seem to be any easy jailbreak in order to get SSH working.

Any ideas?
noisymime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:43 PM   #2
noisymime

Well, I managed to update to FW 5.9.7 by renaming the file from .bin to .mobi, copying it via the Experimental browser, then over serial renaming it back to .bin and moving it to the root of the storage area.... But the update hasn't fixed the USB problem
Advert
Old 01-12-2019, 10:18 PM   #3
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Still might be a "pc" problem or rather, a microsh*t bug.

I had a problem with my Mars ereader usb to load an updated firmware; did not work. Saw a report of a similar problem on a win10 newsgroup where the device did not show up on the taskbar for the "save removal" mobile icon; found I had the same non entry.

Checked for if there was an win10 update that fixes it; the updates I got was for Defender & a new usb driver that had "le mobile" as part of the info. My tablet's usb problem was now fixed with the win10 driver update. m$ is the culprit as they had sent notices to all usb adapter companies that m$ will provide the usb drivers some years back.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:20 AM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
You have serial access, so you get to peek into both system & kernel logs. That'd be a good start to rule out HW defect on the Kindle's side.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:19 PM   #5
noisymime

Thanks guys, I'll keep having a dig through the logs.

I've tried a Win, Mac and linux box, all have the same issue so I don't think it's driver or OS related. On the linux machine, dmesg doesn't even register anything when it's plugged in and on the kindle side dmesg only indicates that a charging device has been plugged/unplugged.

I'm leaning towards it being a hardware fault somewhere now, but it's an odd one as the most likely area (The storage itself) seems to be totally fine. I'd really been hoping that being able to flash the new firmware on would fix something that might've corrupted or gotten misconfigured somewhere, but unfortunately not.
Advert