Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-03-2018, 08:12 PM   #1
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Clara HD ignores Overdrive loan

I've got an Overdrive book checked out from my local library and when I sync, it doesn't download it or show up in my library. If I do an Overdrive search of the title from the Clara HD, it can't find it. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, how did you fix it?
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 08:34 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The OD integration works through the Kobo store. If the book in the library is not in the store, you won't be able to borrow it through the store, or have it automatically download when you borrow by other methods. There is also a related problem with the editions. If the book in the library is not the same as that in the store, it won't be borrowed as well. My understanding is that the match is on the ISBN in the two places. I believe you can raise a ticket with Kobo to fix the latter.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2018, 09:39 PM   #3
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The ISBN matches in the Overdrive details for the book and the Kobo store. I've opened an issue with my library, maybe they'll be able to resolve it on Monday or Tuesday.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:05 AM   #4
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The OD integration works through the Kobo store. If the book in the library is not in the store, you won't be able to borrow it through the store, or have it automatically download when you borrow by other methods. There is also a related problem with the editions. If the book in the library is not the same as that in the store, it won't be borrowed as well. My understanding is that the match is on the ISBN in the two places. I believe you can raise a ticket with Kobo to fix the latter.
Seriously? I had no idea of this. If I understand this correctly, then if my local library's ebook collection includes book A, but Book A is not also available for purchase in the Kobo Store, then I won't be able to borrow it? Or even if it's a different edition of Book A?

That seriously sucks! What's the point of promising Overdrive access to libraries if what it actually means "Overdrive access to books we can sell you - if we can't it to you, we won't let you see it" Al though, it might explain why the election I was being offered through the OverDrive on my Clara seemed so pitifully small.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:32 AM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
Seriously? I had no idea of this. If I understand this correctly, then if my local library's ebook collection includes book A, but Book A is not also available for purchase in the Kobo Store, then I won't be able to borrow it? Or even if it's a different edition of Book A?
Correct. I've seen it a massive 4 times since I purchased my KA1. You can still borrow it but that involves going old timey and using ADE. Oh, the horrors!!!

Quote:
That seriously sucks! What's the point of promising Overdrive access to libraries if what it actually means "Overdrive access to books we can sell you - if we can't it to you, we won't let you see it" Al though, it might explain why the election I was being offered through the OverDrive on my Clara seemed so pitifully small.
Perhaps that it works for 99.9% of books? I just tried a search against my local library's Just Added on my Clara HD and on their webpage. The search returned 1666 books on my Clara HD and 1668 on the library website (the Clara actually returned more results but the 1666 was the number of books which matched what playing with the library's maximum age search gave).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2018, 01:43 AM   #6
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Correct. I've seen it a massive 4 times since I purchased my KA1. You can still borrow it but that involves going old timey and using ADE. Oh, the horrors!!!

Perhaps that it works for 99.9% of books? I just tried a search against my local library's Just Added on my Clara HD and on their webpage. The search returned 1666 books on my Clara HD and 1668 on the library website (the Clara actually returned more results but the 1666 was the number of books which matched what playing with the library's maximum age search gave).
My experience here in Aotearoa/NZ is different, at least now I know why. The ebook catalogue at the website of the library associated with my Overdrive account on my Clara is several pages longer on my 28 inch monitor than on my 6 inch Clara. Because of that, I haven't done an exact numerical count of the difference
Old 11-04-2018, 01:57 AM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My experience here in Aotearoa/NZ is different, at least now I know why. The ebook catalogue at the website of the library associated with my Overdrive account on my Clara is several pages longer on my 28 inch monitor than on my 6 inch Clara. Because of that, I haven't done an exact numerical count of the difference
For my test, I used the Just Added section in the Library tab under Kobo Store. This returned a lot more results that the library web page for it's Just Added which was maxing out at 6 months. Playing games with the URL let me get results for 360 days so I used that and then skipping to around the same number of books on the Clara HD, I matched the last book from the library. A couple of revisions back, the library website would return every ebook as new if you didn't put in a date limit but that has been "fixed".
Old 11-05-2018, 09:02 PM   #8
bgalbrecht
Wizard

Quote:
Since several different versions of ADE all crash when I connect my Kobo readers on several different computers (maybe because they all have been upgraded to 128 GB and have about 17k ebooks on them, yeah, that's a problem.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:09 AM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
Quote:
Since several different versions of ADE all crash when I connect my Kobo readers on several different computers (maybe because they all have been upgraded to 128 GB and have about 17k ebooks on them, yeah, that's a problem.
For me, ADE is something I still use since I have run into those occasional books that do not sync with the Kobo store. Since I don't approve of removing DRM from library books (more since this removes the due date rather than worrying about the DRM removal itself), I need ADE to transfer them.

At times it seems a bit silly to almost automatically remove DRM from my purchases and yet to disapprove of removing DRM from library books. I suspect the library will still be there until I finish reading the book while I have had negative experiences with vendors who have suddenly exited the ebook business -- Microsoft, I'm looking at you.