Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-02-2018, 03:34 PM   #1
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Managing Collections The Old Fashioned Way

I've got the KO2 (32GB) with approximately 5,000 books on it. I organize all of these books into about 10 collections (use genres as my collections). Based on the type of books I typically read, some of these collections are much bigger than rest (for example, I'm approaching almost 1,000 books in my Mystery-Thriller-Suspense collection).

For several reasons I've decided not to jailbreak my Kindle, even though collection management is supposed to be much easier on a JB Kindle. Not sure if it's a "feature" or a "bug", but I've noticed that once any collection reaches approximately 900 or so books it stops allowing the addition of any more books to that collection. Is this normal behavior? If this is normal behavior, and something that must be "lived with" on an unjailbroken Kindle, are there any creative ideas for breaking up a large collection into smaller collections?

93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 04:00 PM   #2
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
How about dividing large collections into smaller ones? I don’t have as many books as you do, but I have several collections that cover your single one: Mystery - Classic (think Agatha Christie, Conan Doyle, etc.); Mystery - Historical (Brother Cadfael, Hangman’s Daughter, etc.); Mystery - Contemporary (Archie Mayor’s Vermont detective series, etc.); Thrillers - you get the idea. I find more collections makes it easier to browse as there are fewer books to go through, but that’s just me. Might be worth a shot...
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2018, 04:40 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It strikes me that "mystery-thriller-suspense" is grouping unrelated categories of books together. Many thrillers are not mysteries, and many mysteries (particularly those of the "police procedural" variety) involve neither thrills nor suspense. At the very least I'd split that into, say "Crime" and "Thrillers".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 04:51 PM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
Not sure if it's a "feature" or a "bug", but I've noticed that once any collection reaches approximately 900 or so books it stops allowing the addition of any more books to that collection. Is this normal behavior? If this is normal behavior, and something that must be "lived with" on an unjailbroken Kindle, are there any creative ideas for breaking up a large collection into smaller collections?
Report it in the LibrarianSync thread. If it's not a native Kindle issue, NiLuJe may be able to help.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:47 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I think if it is a problem it pertains only to Kindle: in the iOS app I see one of my collections is over 1000 items (I cannot see the exact number as the UI geniuses at Amazon did not allow enough space for 4 digit numbers). On my Voyage, it says there are 994 items.

However, there are some books which are not compatible with Kindle (Print Replica). So that may account for the lesser number there.

Speaking of the iOS Kindle app, I see they have added a new ‘virtual’ collection: ‘Uncollected’ (I have 644 books in there!). Cool.

Turns out that a number of the Uncollected 644 are magazine issues, and library books I have returned. Still worth going through this.

Last edited by tomsem; 11-02-2018 at 08:03 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2018, 09:15 AM   #6
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
BTW - if you do decide to break down your existing collections into smaller ones and get stumped trying to decide how to classify individual books, there’s always worldcat.org - a huge free catalog that provides info in where to find a book (to borrow or to buy) and provides subject breakdowns from general to more specific.
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:43 AM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
That problem has been on the non-jailbroken Kindles for a while. Perhaps from the very beginning, I'm not sure. My personal solution is that since 70-80% of my books are SF or fantasy, I don't put those in collections at all. My collections are for other genres, Historical Fiction, Mystery, Romance (I have a few of those, even though I rarely read Romance) etc. It might not work for you, of course.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:57 PM   #8
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
As a side note/question, I thought that there was not a jailbreak solution for the KO2?
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:10 AM   #9
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumadona View Post
BTW - if you do decide to break down your existing collections into smaller ones and get stumped trying to decide how to classify individual books, there’s always worldcat.org - a huge free catalog that provides info in where to find a book (to borrow or to buy) and provides subject breakdowns from general to more specific.
Awesome, thanks much for this tip!
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:30 PM   #10
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmitty View Post
As a side note/question, I thought that there was not a jailbreak solution for the KO2?
There is for the early ones. Newer ones and older ones that have been updated with newer firmware can not be jail broken at this time.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:45 AM   #11
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Samsung Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
.....for example, I'm approaching almost 1,000 books in my Mystery-Thriller-Suspense collection).

.... are there any creative ideas for breaking up a large collection into smaller collections?
Well further to the categories a couple of others have said, I would hazard a guess that with that many, you could well have a number of Cozy Mysteries, so you could use that or Cozies.

Personally, my collections are a mix of author names and then titles for the leftovers, similar to those suggested, but others like Various, Scifi and Fantasy etc.

My rule of thumb for an author folder, is two ebooks at least if I love them, but three usually if not so well loved. If they are one of the many freebies I get to try out via BookBub from Amazon, then 5 or more by the same author qualifies for a folder of their own.

It is a real pity to my mind, that the Kindle doesn't have another (sub) folder layer. That way, you could use a category like Mystery for a collection, and then a sub folder of the author name, as a collection within a collection.

But similar to music (etc), many of those designing these things really aren't proper book or music etc lovers ... just Nerdies.

Last edited by Timboli; 11-18-2018 at 10:51 AM.
Timboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:27 PM   #12
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
There is for the early ones. Newer ones and older ones that have been updated with newer firmware can not be jail broken at this time.
Hey j.p.s and others jailbreak knowledgeable: Is it correct that 5.9.2 on my Oasis 2 won't work? I would really like to get all of my series onto my kindle and think putting them each in a collection would be better than changing the name of each title to contain that information... making jailbreaking sooo tantalizing!

If not do you think there would be any benefit with new features to simply update to the latest FW version and would I lose all my books? I have less than 1000 on there atm so it would be easy enough to reload (have maybe 14k books/documents that I would eventually like to load). I presently have updates blocked to avoid auto updating in case our l33t friends in the Developer's Corner find a fix for my FW.

Sorry to the OP for going off topic, and thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer!
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote