Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-17-2018, 12:00 AM   #1
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Kindle PW4 vs Kobo Clara HD

So a few days ago I was pondering selling my KPW3 and picking up a new Clara HD. And then Kindle comes out with a PW4!
Which do you think is better, assuming that the ecosystem is not important. I liked the Clara for the ultra small size and weight although the new Kindle has gotten a little smaller and lighter over its predecessor. I like the option of having a comfort light (although I have no experience using one). On the other hand being waterproof is nice but not a deal breaker. I like the Kindle's dictionary better than Kobo's. Anything else that might send you one way or the other?
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:31 AM   #2
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

I LOVE my Clara HD - so compact and light, compared to my PW 2, or even my wife's PW3. The new PW though would give me serious puase, because of the waterproofing and the option of 32GB. Given that if I were still in the Amazon, I would probably stay and go for the PW4 over the Clara
Advert
Old 10-17-2018, 02:09 AM   #3
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
If there were just these two ereaders in the world (luckily not the case), then whatever differences these have become decisively important.

Such as pixel density and waterproofing. And size of bezels (comfier to hold in any direction!).

If compactness (smaller size + lighter weight + cheaper price = perfect fit for smaller pockets) is for you, go for Clara. Otherwise PW4 wins.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:48 AM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Compare Hardware processor speeds. & yes you Can add storage to the Clara HD ... some one changed the 8 gig to a 132 gig.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:53 AM   #5
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Compare Hardware processor speeds. & yes you Can add storage to the Clara HD ... some one changed the 8 gig to a 132 gig.
Yes, Kobo's storage is just a regular micro-SD card. All you need is to be comfy with opening your brand new device, detach its storage, install Kobo's soft on a new bigger micro-SD, insert it, and turn it on.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2018, 09:03 AM   #6
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I would choose Clara HD due to the flexibility in the reading experience for Kobo.

Just to make it even harder for you... have you taken a look at the new Pocketbook HD 3? Super light and waterproof.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:28 AM   #7
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
I would choose Clara HD due to the flexibility in the reading experience for Kobo.

Just to make it even harder for you... have you taken a look at the new Pocketbook HD 3? Super light and waterproof.
It's a shame Pocketbooks are so hard to get outside of Europe. When I emailed Pocketbook they simply said "we don't sell outside Europe, check ebay there may some retailers who will ship to NZ". They're already very expensive devices, much more so than Kindles or Kobos, and adding another 50 Euros or more shipping makes them very poor value
Old 10-17-2018, 09:42 AM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
Yes, Kobo's storage is just a regular micro-SD card. All you need is to be comfy with opening your brand new device, detach its storage, install Kobo's soft on a new bigger micro-SD, insert it, and turn it on.
Yep, this. MicroSD cards are very inexpensive nowadays (at least in the US - often on sale for 64GB/$15-20 and 128GB/$25-30).

If you use Calibre for ebook management, I believe you might have an easier time with Collections/Shelves on the Clara than the PW. On my PW3, jailbreak was required in order to manage collections with Calibre.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:16 PM   #9
Cahir Mawr
Cahir Mawr began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo glo HD
After my Kobo glo HD died I'm in the same situation, but I think I'm going for the Kobo Clara because I love to be unattached of Amazon, the flexibílity of almost any kind of ebook file and the confort light. I will miss the waterfroofing though.
Cahir Mawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 10:21 AM   #10
heyman
Connoisseur
heyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it is

Device: sony
you will not get the answer until you get both seeing with naked eyes
heyman is offline   Reply With Quote