Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-26-2008, 12:24 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Waiting for 2666 to arrive in 2008 - I WANT IT NOW!

I want it as an ebook.

I want it now.

And not next year.

I want desperately to read Roberto Bolaño’s novel, 2666, when it will be officially released in an English translation come Nov. 11, 2008.

Stay tuned.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:27 PM   #2
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I want it as an ebook.

I want it now.

And not next year.

I want desperately to read Roberto Bolaño’s novel, 2666, when it will be officially released in an English translation come Nov. 11, 2008.

Stay tuned.

Don
It's a great book no question about it. I bought an arc months ago and read it in 3 days or so and then reread it once and a half in another 3 days. I hope they will release it as an e-book but I do not know what the publisher stance (Farrar, Straus) is towards e.

The Spanish language e-book should be easily available underground due to the popularity of Mr. Bolano
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2008, 09:29 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
I want it as an ebook.

I want it now.

And not next year.

Stay tuned.

Don

From someone completely unfamiliar with the author and novel, why do you want it so badly? Synopsis please?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:12 PM   #4
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
From someone completely unfamiliar with the author and novel, why do you want it so badly? Synopsis please?
My mini-review on sffworld

"Composed by 5 interlinked parts revolving around a mysterious German writer which has achieved belated recognition late in life and is supposedly finally seen in the dark, grimy Mexican city of Santa Teresa and the string of murders/rapes of hundreds of women in the above city in a period of about 8 years from 1993 to 2001.

Filled with odd characters, dark humor, grim and raunchy, its 900 pages turn by themselves and it's a book you can read in one sitting if you have a day to spend on it, being so absorbing.

Part one details the rise in reputation of the German writer Benno von Archimboldi, born in 1920, but a mysterious figure never seen by anyone except its publisher and supposedly living throughout the world. This part has as main characters 4 University professors and major Archimboldian translators/critics, a Frenchman, a Spaniard, a somewhat crippled Italian and an English lady, their inter relationships and meetings with assorted odd characters. Finally in 2001 they get a tip that Archimboldi has been recently seen in Mexico and they follow there.

Part two is shorter and stranger, about a weird Chilean academic currently teaching in Santa Teresa and met by the critics in part one - his back story and the whys of his keeping an obscure math book by a Spanish poet hanged on his clothesline outside his house and quite a few other weird happenings

Part three is seen through the eyes of a Harlem reporter who by chance is sent to Santa Teresa to cover a boxing match - he reports on African American politics/social issues but the sports reporter just got murdered - and his involvement with the daughter of the academic above and the first glimpse of the issues involving the hundreds of murders/rapes in Santa Teresa

Part four is about the murders - it is a grim litany of the bodies, the following investigations, sometimes followed by arrests, sometimes not, interspersed with a lot of other related things, like the affair between a detective and the head of the mental hospital, the story of various weird characters, corruption and indifference and much more.

Part five returns to Benno von Archimbaldi and tells his story focusing of his war experiences and how he got to be a writer, and later why he goes to Santa Teresa at age 81 in 2001"
Old 10-26-2008, 11:17 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Wow. sounds incredibly deep.....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2008, 06:36 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
It's a great book no question about it. I bought an arc months ago and read it in 3 days or so and then reread it once and a half in another 3 days. I hope they will release it as an e-book but I do not know what the publisher stance (Farrar, Straus) is towards e.

The Spanish language e-book should be easily available underground due to the popularity of Mr. Bolano
The Spanish language book edition is available at every book store. (I live in Peru.)

A Spanish language ebook...I don't know...

Don
Old 11-02-2008, 08:47 AM   #7
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
if you buy a scanner, you could create your own versions. A book like that probably takes 2-3 days to complete raw scanning and converting to .pdf.(doing 2pages per scan,and then later edit could make you finish within 2 days, that is if you are so willing to give up reading another book for scanning this one)!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:46 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
if you buy a scanner, you could create your own versions. A book like that probably takes 2-3 days to complete raw scanning and converting to .pdf.(doing 2pages per scan,and then later edit could make you finish within 2 days, that is if you are so willing to give up reading another book for scanning this one)!
You're right: I could scan it. However, there are two obstacles to consider:

1) It would cost about $35 to ship the book from the U.S. to Peru.

2) I would need to buy a scanner and obtain some good [perhaps free] software.

I'm a book collector and quite familiar with Bolaño’s work, so I want this hardback as part of my collection. Also, because of its massive size, I want this as an ebook for the convenience of reading on my Reader.

I purchased The Savage Detectives in hardcover when it came out when I lived in the U.S., and then also from Sony when it became available as an ebook.

It WILL become available, as Bolaño is too important a writer for it not to come out as an ebook. Also, it's a front-list item (meaning it's a new book that is a literary treasure) and is considered his masterpiece.

Don

P.S.: I'll more than likely go ahead and order the hardback when I get my first check from teaching, in about 2-3 more weeks. Also, it'll be nice to treat myself to a birthday gift, since Nov. 16 is my birthday.

....but the waiting....
Old 11-02-2008, 12:28 PM   #9
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
well,I'd allready wish you a happy birthday, 16 days in advance!

I bought a while back an HP scanner and printer /copy machine all in one for about $100.
It came with some software (HP director something...) you can still download from their website. (one of the older HP PSC series)
When scanning you can load a program that will automatically convert the document to pdf,with a distinction between text, images B/W or color, or all together.
My software version would detect any scanner, including a webcam, and use it to scan and reconstruct a document.
I think HP's software has been updated,and the more modern versions only work with one of their devices; but maybe the older software still functions with a variety of scanners.

If you don't mind installing HP software on your computer for testing purposes, the following link may or may not work:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...product=427933
Try to download some PSC software bundles (usually around 166MB in size though).

You may need to refer to older downloaded software, and maybe upgrade some adobe things on there.
I never actually tried converting a book from my webcam, even if it is possible to do that with a higher resolution cam, but with the scanner things worked out pretty ok!
The version included even seemed to recognize the fonts used, but was pretty slow to work with (needing to confirm to continue or close the pdf document after every page).

Last edited by ProDigit; 11-02-2008 at 12:32 PM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:02 PM   #10
Liviu_5
Books and more books

Quote:
It WILL become available, as Bolaño is too important a writer for it not to come out as an ebook. Also, it's a front-list item (meaning it's a new book that is a literary treasure) and is considered his masterpiece.
Ask Thomas Pynchon about e-books and see why it's not a given that 2666 will be a legit e-book despite the above being absolutely true. As mentioned illegit Spanish e-books of his work should be very easy to find, though sadly I do not really read that language.

Savage Detectives is also superb, but 2666 is a true masterpiece of world literature and I hope this US edition that seems to have some buzz behind, will get the posthumous recognition for Mr. Bolano in the English speaking world that he has in the Spanish speaking world.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:05 PM   #11
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Ask Thomas Pynchon about e-books
What's his view on ebooks? And does this mean I should give up hope of getting any of his books as ebooks?

(and apols for threadjacking )
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:32 PM   #12
Liviu_5
Books and more books

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
What's his view on ebooks? And does this mean I should give up hope of getting any of his books as ebooks?

(and apols for threadjacking )
There are quite a few famous authors dead set against e-books and Thomas Pynchon comes to mind while JK Rowling is another one. That of course does not stop ilegit e-Pynchon all over the net and of e-JK Rowling that is well publicized

I would love to see 2666 as a legit US e-book but since Mr. Bolano is not with us anymore, I think it will all be up to the publisher and I do not know its track record with e.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:22 AM   #13
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
There are quite a few famous authors dead set against e-books and Thomas Pynchon comes to mind while JK Rowling is another one. That of course does not stop ilegit e-Pynchon all over the net and of e-JK Rowling that is well publicized
When will they ever learn.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:55 AM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

I would love to see 2666 as a legit US e-book but since Mr. Bolano is not with us anymore, I think it will all be up to the publisher and I do not know its track record with e.
Yes, but The Savage Detectives is available as an ebook, so I was projecting () the hopeful release of 2666.

Don
Old 11-04-2008, 10:49 AM   #15
Liviu_5
Books and more books

Quote:
Yes, but The Savage Detectives is available as an ebook, so I was projecting () the hopeful release of 2666.

Don
Who is selling the e-book of Savage Detectives? I checked FW and BoB and could not find it.