Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-24-2018, 03:46 PM   #1
Phrae
Phrae is a jewel in the roughPhrae is a jewel in the roughPhrae is a jewel in the roughPhrae is a jewel in the roughPhrae is a jewel in the roughPhrae is a jewel in the roughPhrae is a jewel in the roughPhrae is a jewel in the roughPhrae is a jewel in the roughPhrae is a jewel in the roughPhrae is a jewel in the rough

Device: none
Question Best device for Cross Platform Notetaking?

My main goal is:
  • I can also read from my PC and Android and directly sync the progress as I grass hop quite a lot. (The problem is that in PC how would I be syncing with non-PDF extension??)
  • Take notes in preferably 4 colors minimum (the point is to differentiate the notes and not enjoying having colors so if paperwhite devices have a way to differentiate multiple highlights in a hierarchy I can work with that)
  • Export notes to bulleted points or just point after point as paragraphes (preferablly organized with their chapter headings) (I can design a script worst case scenario but I need at least an export headway, someway to get the notes themselves out of the book)
    • This is only necessary for me to do in one device. I will export the notes to oneNote
  • Preferably not PDF format as I would like the font customizability of the other types. (The problem is extracting the notes)
    • I'm a big "Bookerly" font fan, which is the default for Kindle I think. I can stay with this font with different sizes and it will be sufficient.
  • I would like to use a decent PC reading app. I really like the Kindle PC app as it's just simple and clean but it will probably not work. I didn't like most of the mobi/epub readers as they looked pretty shitty tbh.
  • Sometimes not getting the books through their typical means and be able to do the above and sync, if you catch my drift.

The above is the absolute bare minimum that I can work with. What options are available to me? I have never ever used an E-reader. I think the total time I have been in physical contact with them is no longer than 5 minutes (+4 minutes margin of error).

I have no idea if the above is a really simple thing or a hard thing. I am in total ignorance of the matter.

I would greatly appreciate your assistance.

Last edited by Phrae; 07-24-2018 at 04:25 PM.
Phrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 03:57 PM   #2
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Colours and hierarchical notes are only possible on a tablet, not an ereader.

Gesendet von meinem SM-T585 mit Tapatalk
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2018, 04:53 PM   #3
Phrae
Phrae is a jewel in the roughPhrae is a jewel in the roughPhrae is a jewel in the roughPhrae is a jewel in the roughPhrae is a jewel in the roughPhrae is a jewel in the roughPhrae is a jewel in the roughPhrae is a jewel in the roughPhrae is a jewel in the roughPhrae is a jewel in the roughPhrae is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyOne View Post
Colours and hierarchical notes are only possible on a tablet, not an ereader.

Gesendet von meinem SM-T585 mit Tapatalk
So what happens when syncing Kindle e-reader with Kindle PC apps? Automatically they get to be yellow?
Old 08-01-2018, 12:45 PM   #4
Phrae

I have determined that I am looking for at least a mobile file extension reading format (EPUB/MOBI) in my consideration since I have to arrange text size.

So the following is a consideration of either EPUB or MOBI format:
  • Kindle works. For personal documents to sync with PC you have to do the following:
    • Click the sync on the phone/kindle. Close the PC app. Delete the matching .mbpV2 file in the kindle library. Now you open and sync and it loads the Kindle notes. You have to restart and delete each time. It's better to construct a script or some type of way to get rid of the file each time kindle app closes.
      • I don't know about MAC
  • KOBO seems to have a PC app but doesn't allow syncing side loaded e-books.
  • It is possible with EPUB using Google Play books. It is perfect for the above job. This guy was able to successfuly use it. However, I don't know about the performance and how to use that particular ink reader (seems to be different language) and the shipping will cost so that path is aborted.
  • BookFusion works but the PC web view is quite ugly and the phone app I really do not like and the sync is distracting.

Moonreader, FBReader, Cool Reader, KOReader, Calibre:
The first four don't have a PC app (with sync) and the last doesn't do highlighting and notes syncing. (EPUB/MOBI)

Pending work:
Test side loading Google Play app or even the Kindle app for more highlight potential on e-ink devices.

Other comments: (only to curious individuals)
  • Just use a tablet.
    • The cheapest/most pleasant to use.
    • Either Kindle/Google Books can be used as they have syncs and exports and decent PC viewing.
  • While I would like to test the PDF reformatting I don't know how it works with highliting and it's quite quirky it feels like and file dependent and possibly a big hassle and a distraction.

Tags
device sync notes mobile