Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-05-2005, 05:54 PM   #1
lasseelady
Banned
lasseelady began at the beginning.

Need a tester!

undefined
Lasseelady here! I am seeking info from anyone on this message board that owns any handheld reader. Since I can't afford one of my own, I need to
see if any unit is capable of downloading a short story.

The author I work for is thinking of offering some of his short stories that are
on his ebook site, www.markraney.com as downloads for the handhelds.

But before he goes to all that trouble, or should I say before I go to all that trouble, we need to know if the story will be readable on the screen.

If you would be interested in helping me out, please email me at lasseelady@yahoo.com - The free short story is called DREAM and is downloadable from Mark Raney's e-book site.
lasseelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 06:45 PM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I would recommend a Palm hi-res or better (320x320), or a Pocket PC with a 240x320 or VGA screen. But I, and a lot of others, like reading on the PDA screens so much that we prefer it over printed copies. Primarily for novels. Reference books might be another matter because you can't really flip through them. But even then it can be nice because of the electronic search features.

PalmDoc(.pdb) and iSilo and plain txt seem to be very common formats. They are the ones I use most. PalmDoc format can be read with almost any reader on PPC or Palm.

I hope you decide to give it a go as an ebook, and I'm sure you can find someone here to help you out. If you go with iSilo, I think I can help you through the process in general, but if you want to make it professional looking, you might need to get input from one of the experts around here that have more experience.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2005, 10:18 PM   #3
lasseelady
Banned
lasseelady began at the beginning.

Thanks Bob

So glad you answered me. so what you are saying is that the stories on his website now are formatted in MS Word. "They have to be reformatted to be read on a handheld?" And even a novel can be downloaded to a pc. It is not too large?

Thanks for your info. I will keep visiting around and I will let Mark know what you said. Thanks so much.

Lasseelady
lasseelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 10:34 PM   #4
Zire
Fanatic
Zire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zire 71
Talking

lasseelady,

You can also have the book converted in multiple formats on his site. If a person is wireless they can download from the site through a palm enabled web browser. You can find more info on formats and programs to convert documents into formats that the palm can read at the ebook primer on memoware's site. If you have any other questions browse the site or start a topic we will gladly help you.
Zire is offline   Reply With Quote