Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-06-2018, 07:31 PM   #1
geministarz6
geministarz6 began at the beginning.

Device: none
docx to epub - White rectangles around text?

Hi! I'm very new to using Calibre to convert books. I've had success converting webpages into epubs, but I'm having an issue with MS Word files.

Whenever I convert the book, it looks fine in Calibre's viewer. When I open the book on my e-reader app (Moon+ Reader), it puts white rectangles around the text, which stand out a lot against the off-white background.

Is there any way to remove this white background so the e-reader background color takes preference?

Thanks for the help!
geministarz6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:48 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have a look at the Page Colour set for the document in Word, on Word 2016 it's in the Design tab. Default setting is "No Colour". I'm not sure if/how calibre DOCX Conversion handles this setting - but that's where I'd start. Or, maybe there's a Page Border defined.

Try saving it as a PDF in Word and see what that looks like, if it has a similar border, find out why and fix it in Word. IMO it's always better to resolve problems in the manuscript copy rather than fixing them within conversion or by editing the epub code.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-06-2018 at 08:52 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2018, 03:58 PM   #3
geministarz6
geministarz6 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Have a look at the Page Colour set for the document in Word, on Word 2016 it's in the Design tab. Default setting is "No Colour". I'm not sure if/how calibre DOCX Conversion handles this setting - but that's where I'd start. Or, maybe there's a Page Border defined.

Try saving it as a PDF in Word and see what that looks like, if it has a similar border, find out why and fix it in Word. IMO it's always better to resolve problems in the manuscript copy rather than fixing them within conversion or by editing the epub code.

BR
Thanks for the reply! Checking the page color/background/hilighting was actually the first thing I tried. Your suggestion made my try changing it to something else, though, and it turns out it's definitely an issue in my formatting; the white boxes show up in Word, too.

THAT lead me to some new internet searches and eventually I found a macro someone made that fixes the problem! (https://forums.windowssecrets.com/sh...e-highlighting in case someone in the future has this issue.)

So you didn't really give me a solution, but you sure helped a lot! Thanks.
geministarz6 is offline   Reply With Quote