Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-06-2018, 07:39 PM   #1
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
Calibre on External Drive

Can I install Calibre on my external drive? Will it still work if I need to reinstall Windows?
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:58 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use calibre portable https://calibre-ebook.com/download_portable
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2018, 09:07 PM   #3
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Thanks but I don't like the portable. I would have to unplug something to open up a USB port.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:36 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can install portable anywhere including on an external or internal drive.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:37 PM   #5
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You can install portable anywhere including on an external or internal drive.
So I need to install the portable instead of the one I had installed on my computer and it will work?
Advert
Old 04-07-2018, 12:23 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Kybunnies - Why do you want to install calibre on an external drive ?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:38 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The Library can be on any LOCAL drive. Network/share drives are not supported (AKA reliable).
Are you using a Laptop? It is easy to add extra USB ports to most desktops. Some just need the card slot connector (or drive bay Card Reader assy) as the connections exist insideon the mobo.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:41 AM   #8
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBunnies View Post
So I need to install the portable instead of the one I had installed on my computer and it will work?
Yes. Just make sure you point to your external drive when it asks you where to install. Also once you get to the part of setting up the library put that on the external drive too.

Then all your Calibre-related stuff - the program, the library and the settings - will be on that drive. If you ever re-install Windows, or if you just unplug the external drive and plug it into another Windows PC, it'll work just as it did before. That's what makes it "portable".
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:17 AM   #9
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Kybunnies - Why do you want to install calibre on an external drive ?

BR
Because I am tired of having to reinstall/add everything when Windows gets corrupt and then have to reinstall Windows.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:18 AM   #10
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The Library can be on any LOCAL drive. Network/share drives are not supported (AKA reliable).
Are you using a Laptop? It is easy to add extra USB ports to most desktops. Some just need the card slot connector (or drive bay Card Reader assy) as the connections exist insideon the mobo.
I have a laptop and no way to add extra USB ports. I have tried USB hubs but they do not last long.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:18 AM   #11
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
Yes. Just make sure you point to your external drive when it asks you where to install. Also once you get to the part of setting up the library put that on the external drive too.

Then all your Calibre-related stuff - the program, the library and the settings - will be on that drive. If you ever re-install Windows, or if you just unplug the external drive and plug it into another Windows PC, it'll work just as it did before. That's what makes it "portable".
Okay I will do this. And I can add all the plugins I have on the main one correct?
Old 04-07-2018, 10:30 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Okay I will do this. And I can add all the plugins I have on the main one correct?
If you copy the preferences folder over the top of the Portables (default), you keep your PI settings as well.
All you need to do is re-link your libraries after doing this'
Old 04-07-2018, 10:46 AM   #13
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy

Quote:
If you copy the preferences folder over the top of the Portables (default), you keep your PI settings as well.
All you need to do is re-link your libraries after doing this'
My problem is when I try and relink the libraries I get the message that I can't link because the library is not empty. Reason why I want to install on external drive.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:50 AM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
My problem is when I try and relink the libraries I get the message that I can't link because the library is not empty. Reason why I want to install on external drive.
Keyword:
USE EXISTING

Creating a Library requires the folder to be empty
Old 04-07-2018, 10:56 AM   #15
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy

Quote:
Keyword:
USE EXISTING

Creating a Library requires the folder to be empty
Okay then I am an idiot because I have never found a was to USE EXISTING or a way to add my existing library to a new install of Calibre.