Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-02-2018, 06:34 PM   #1
drawson1
Connoisseur
drawson1 began at the beginning.

Device: Libra H20, Clara 2E
Changing the text file viewer globally?

I'd like to change the default text file viewer to be something other than the Desktop default (Leafpad on my openSUSE / XFCE system . . . .); I figured out how to open text files with the internal ePub viewer, and I know that I can use Alt-V, click on "Open with" and change it for a single instance.

How do I make this choice permanent?

Thanks!

Dan
drawson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 06:43 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by drawson1 View Post
I'd like to change the default text file viewer to be something other than the Desktop default (Leafpad on my openSUSE / XFCE system . . . .); I figured out how to open text files with the internal ePub viewer, and I know that I can use Alt-V, click on "Open with" and change it for a single instance.

Thanks!

Dan
Preferences:Behavior: (right column) Apply tick
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2018, 06:52 PM   #3
drawson1
Connoisseur

Hmmmm . . . . maybe I wasn't clear. I don't want to use the internal viewer for text files; I want to use another editor. When I look at Preferences -> Behaviour, I only see the choice to use (or not use) the internal viewer for different file types.

If "TXT" is un-checked, then when I double-click on a plain text file in calibre, it opens in my system default editor. I'd like to have it open in a different editor by default in calibre, WITHOUT changing the default for the remainder of the system.

Thanks!

Dan
Old 03-02-2018, 07:45 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hmmmm . . . . maybe I wasn't clear. I don't want to use the internal viewer for text files; I want to use another editor. When I look at Preferences -> Behaviour, I only see the choice to use (or not use) the internal viewer for different file types.

If "TXT" is un-checked, then when I double-click on a plain text file in calibre, it opens in my system default editor. I'd like to have it open in a different editor by default in calibre, WITHOUT changing the default for the remainder of the system.

Thanks!

Dan
Use the Open With plugin by Kiwidude.
Set up a new entry to open type TXT with your prog.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:04 PM   #5
drawson1
Connoisseur

Cool, thanks!
Advert
Old 03-02-2018, 09:28 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

AFAIK in the Windows version of calibre, doing what you did is permanent for all instances of the designated format, I'm surprised it would be any different for Linux.

Anyway, if you right-click a TXT link in any Book Details panel, you can add and edit Open With entries and they should stick. If not, there's a bug in the Linix edition of calibre.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:23 PM   #7
drawson1
Connoisseur

Well . . . I can change it once, but it doesn't stick. If I right-click the TXT link (didn't know that menu was there, thanks!) and change it to use gedit (for example), it does open the selected file in gedit.

But if I click on the TXT link for that file again OR I double-click on the file in the main library listing, it opens it in Leafpad.

So it seems to me like that setting isn't getting saved.

Dan
Old 03-03-2018, 11:52 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Well . . . I can change it once, but it doesn't stick. If I right-click the TXT link (didn't know that menu was there, thanks!) and change it to use gedit (for example), it does open the selected file in gedit.

But if I click on the TXT link for that file again OR I double-click on the file in the main library listing, it opens it in Leafpad.

Dan
Did you save ALL levels of the configure (Preferences)?
Is the file writable
C:\Users\,user.\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins\Open With.json
Old 03-04-2018, 12:24 AM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

Dan
What happens if you press 'V', that's the way I open books, I'm mouse averse so I don't click on things unless I'm forced to.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 02:14 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You cannot change the viewer used by clicking that will always use either the calibre viewer or the default OS viewer. You can define multiple programs to open file types with by right clicking the format in the book details pnael and choosing "Open TXT with...". Once you have added programs there, you can use them to open formats in the future by right clicking.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote