Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-29-2018, 01:38 PM   #1
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
Loading all your books onto a new Kindle

I am sure the answer to this question is somewhere, but I have done the search and get a lot of results that are not exactly what I want.

What is the easiest way to get a new Kindle to download all of your Kindle books without have to select each one individually?
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:56 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't believe you can. That's why I have my library stored in Calibre, which can send multiple books in a single operation.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2018, 02:14 PM   #3
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't believe you can. That's why I have my library stored in Calibre, which can send multiple books in a single operation.
I just calibre also. But I don't put that many on my Kindle. I like to keep my book count down. I will have a full series that I am reading on it and remove the book as soon as I finish reading it. And I also keep other books that I use for reference at times. At most I have 50 books at any one time on my Kindle, because I will have the series I am reading on and the next books I am going to read.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:23 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I currently have 9,145 books on my Oasis 2 .
Old 01-29-2018, 02:27 PM   #5
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

you brag! LOL,, just kidding. Anyway, not sure about the calibre thing as I assume you have to remove DRM to use it to move your amazon content around.
I seem to recall that if I had my books assigned to collections that I could long press on a collection and select it to download and it would download all the books in that collection to the device (then indexing stuff happens). Does that sound correct?
Advert
Old 01-29-2018, 02:36 PM   #6
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Good to know. Is that an 8GB model?

I three use Calibre to load books. But I like them categorized. So I download category by category, saving books to each category one by one.

I have a new Oasis, and just have the books I sent months before and the library books I have checked out since we went on vacation, 6 weeks ago. I have read 15 books in the last 6 weeks (I am on vacation, after all. And I believe I broke my collar bone and I have run out of yarn.). I do not have enough books on my Oasis. Although I have books to read, the books I have already read lead me to want to read older books I have in Calibre. So I definitely plan to download a large part of my library once we return home. I have 11k books, and have read about 500 and maybe 500 are free books I never want to read.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:10 PM   #7
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Ditto on the calibre to load books. Not all my books are from Amazon, some are project Gutenberg or MR's own library, or bought from other sources, so it makes it all easy to select several books in one go.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:30 AM   #8
jselby
Zealot
jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage | Samsug GT4
If you prefer to go through amazon, I believe you can push them to your kindle from the "Manage Your Content and Devices" page of your account. You still have to select each one, but it might be easier than selecting them from the kindle. One thing to note on this is that some (all?) bulk actions are limited to 10-20 at a time. So you may have to select them in batches.

After you have select some books a "Deliver" button is available. I haven't used this option, but I assume it allows you to chose which device to deliver to if you have multiple.
jselby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:34 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Good to know. Is that an 8GB model?
No, a 32GB. I have a little over 4GB free space on it. A fair number of my books are VERY large - eg I have all (close to 200) of the Delphi omnibus editions on it.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:36 AM   #10
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Sending a ton of books at the same time will chew up the battery, so be aware of that. It is possible to clog up the indexing process on a Kindle also. I had that happen once a few years back. I had to remove a bunch of books and start over. If books aren't indexed, you can't search in them.

Some books, like large reference books, can take hours to fully index. There are some study bibles that take the better part of a day to index. That process is also battery intensive.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:40 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Sending a ton of books at the same time will chew up the battery, so be aware of that. It is possible to clog up the indexing process on a Kindle also. I had that happen once a few years back. I had to remove a bunch of books and start over. If books aren't indexed, you can't search in them.

Some books, like large reference books, can take hours to fully index. There are some study bibles that take the better part of a day to index. That process is also battery intensive.
Very true. It's a very good idea to send books in relatively small batches (say 100 or so at a time) and leave the Kindle connected to a wall charger until it finishes indexing. It took me close to two weeks to load the 9000-odd books onto my Oasis - nearly all indexing time.

To check how indexing is going, go to the home page and search for a random string. When the results page comes up, if the "Text in Books" tab is enabled, tap it, and it'll show you how many books remain to be indexed. If "Text in Books" is not enabled, indexing is complete.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:59 AM   #12
TheSmitty
Addict

I got all my books onto the new device (little over 400 books). I did it on the device just touching each one to queue to download about 50 at a time. Not too bad but my number of books pretty small compared to several people here.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:30 PM   #13
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmitty View Post
I seem to recall that if I had my books assigned to collections that I could long press on a collection and select it to download and it would download all the books in that collection to the device (then indexing stuff happens). Does that sound correct?
I haven't heard of this - anyone else? I know you can select the collection to live on your kindle, rather than just in the cloud. But to my knowledge, you then have to select each book when you want it to be downloaded. It will land in the right collection, which is nice. But selecting a collection and getting all its contents to download??
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:54 PM   #14
Mick4545
Enthusiast
Mick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enough

Device: Oasis 2
Quote:
How on earth do you manage so many books on your device? I have no more than 30 a time on mine, and delete them when read so that I know where I am in a series and don't reload books I've already read.

My library resides on my computer and the next batch of books are transferred to the oa2 as required.
Mick4545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:56 PM   #15
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I haven't heard of this - anyone else? I know you can select the collection to live on your kindle, rather than just in the cloud. But to my knowledge, you then have to select each book when you want it to be downloaded. It will land in the right collection, which is nice. But selecting a collection and getting all its contents to download??
I'm almost certain you can't do this. It will indeed download the collection but you still need to download separately the books in that collection.

I have some 2,800 books on my Oasis 2 and still have over 22 GB of free space. Like Harry T I like the Delphi Classics editions, but these days I prefer to go for the parts editions direct from Delphi rather than the omnibus editions , so I could manage space better on the 4 GB Kindles and so I can see more clearly exactly what books I have.
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote