Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-19-2018, 09:24 AM   #1
Taxicletter
Taxicletter began at the beginning.

Device: Sony TRS505
Sony Reader PRS 505 seen by Calibre, unable to connect

Hello,
I try connecting to my "new" secondhand Sony PRS 505 and Calibre sees the thing, but can't connect.
I see in the errors a read-only problem, and programming lines I don't understand.
I restarted my computer, the reader and Calibre several times, but that didn't help.
In debug-mode, this is what I get for info: https://paste.ubuntu.com/26416679/

Any hints on how to solve this? Thanks already!

Jonathan
Taxicletter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:23 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
First thing to do is get rid of whatever plugin you have that's using QT4. Calibre no longer uses QT4.

Also, try plugging in the 505 without Calibre and check the disk and see if you find any errors. Also, there may be a firmware option to reformat. If so, do it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2018, 12:51 PM   #3
Taxicletter

Thank you JSWolf. I didn't install any extra plugins, I tried searching for QT4 one, but didn't see any.
I checked with Gparted and there was an error which could not be resolved by Gparted, so I formatted the internal memory again. Didn't help.
Firmware updating is impossible, I don't have a mac or windows computer and you need the sony software to do that...

But getting books on my reader (PRS600 it seems, not 505) is no problem, drag and drop works fine. I only wanted to use "Collections".
Old 01-19-2018, 01:19 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxicletter View Post
Thank you JSWolf. I didn't install any extra plugins, I tried searching for QT4 one, but didn't see any.
I checked with Gparted and there was an error which could not be resolved by Gparted, so I formatted the internal memory again. Didn't help.
Firmware updating is impossible, I don't have a mac or windows computer and you need the sony software to do that...

But getting books on my reader (PRS600 it seems, not 505) is no problem, drag and drop works fine. I only wanted to use "Collections".
QT4 is not a 'plugin'. It is the OLD, outdated under pinning's of modern Calibre and plugins.
Many plugin developers moved on. The plugins languished unless someone else stepped up to tweak the PI to be compatible with QT5, the current foundation of Calibre.
If you look at your debug log, you should see those that failed to load. Choices,: Install updated if available or Uninstall the stale ones.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:29 PM   #5
Taxicletter

Hi TheDucks, I know QT4 is not a plugin, I indeed meant: a plugin using QT4. I just downloaded Calibre from the synaptic packetmanager, I thought that would be the newest version. It's 3.7.
On the website, I see there is a 3.15, I'll try that one!
Thanks, hope it helps!
Advert
Old 01-19-2018, 02:18 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxicletter View Post
Hi TheDucks, I know QT4 is not a plugin, I indeed meant: a plugin using QT4. I just downloaded Calibre from the synaptic packetmanager, I thought that would be the newest version. It's 3.7.
On the website, I see there is a 3.15, I'll try that one!
Thanks, hope it helps!
Yep! Distros are mostly way old.
I wish Kovid could make them use a Wrapper that pulls his current commandline instead of passing off outdated cr*p
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:10 PM   #7
Taxicletter

Great, downloading the latest version did the trick.

Great!