Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 11-26-2017, 08:38 AM   #1
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
[...]I wouldn't care about it so much if I could run CC straight from my ereader. That would be the ultimate fantasy....keep up the great work guys!

Last edited by chaley; 11-26-2017 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Remove extraneous text
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:54 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Android e-ink reader recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza_Cant_Read View Post
I wouldn't care about it so much if I could run CC straight from my ereader. That would be the ultimate fantasy....keep up the great work guys!
This is why I use an Android e-ink device for my main ereader. We have both a Boyue T62 and a Onyx Afterglow II. I am considering replacing the Afterglow to get a better Carta screen.

Last edited by chaley; 11-26-2017 at 11:39 AM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2017, 11:19 AM   #3
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do they work well? I don't need a full Android distro with the bells and whistles. Just CC and the readers. What do you recommend? Should I start a new thread? I asked around the "which one should I buy" forum and haven't yet received any replies. Your feedback would be much appreciated! I have this 27 GB Kindle and I feel screwed until there is a way to *at least* use the Kindle Collections plugin...but CC running natively would offer so much more power and versatility!
Old 11-26-2017, 11:33 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You are in China, which is both a difficulty and an advantage. Most of the devices are made there and can be had at prices much lower than the rest of the world pays. However, what you get might be exactly the same as what is exported.

As for "full distro": I am not sure what that means. You need the ability to install apps. You probably want the ability to change the launcher. Both of these come with any version of Android I know of, but it is possible that the manufacturer has hidden the settings necessary to allow apps and to change the launcher. I like to have the Google Play store but it isn't absolutely necessary, and in any event can usually be added later.

There was a recent thread from DoctorOhh about e-ink readers: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=285791

As for "do they work": I am satisfied with the two I have. I run the Nova launcher and moon+ reader on both my devices. I don't do other apps such as calendar, email, or web browsing. I get around a 5 days of battery life, the screens are readable, and networking works. CC has a special option to change its animations and colors to be more suitable for e-ink devices.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:51 AM   #5
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce

By 'full bistro' I was imagining that as with linux there are 'distributions' that are more minimalist with UIs that utilize less resources and are maybe optimized for e-ink displays. If we find something great my next challenge is selling my new Kindle right after I just sold my last haha. Thanks for starting this thread!
Advert
Old 11-26-2017, 11:58 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Ahh, I understand. Every Android e-ink device I have seen comes with a modified version of Android (usually 4.2 Jellybean) changed to be suitable for e-ink (repaint when needed, almost no animation, etc) and that knows how to drive the hardware. I can install any app I want but the lack of color and animation makes most apps close to useless.