Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-21-2017, 05:18 AM   #1
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
no more ebay on fire tablets

ebay mailed me to say stop using the out of dateversion of their app it will stop working soon, you need v5 .
I contacted amazon re that, pointed out their app store version had not updated since 2014, asked what their proposed solution is, and did they really expect me to have to allow apps from unknown sources as a workaround)

( actually I have google store installed with the up do date version but that's by the by ).

i wanted to see what the amazon party line would be:

amazons response, (abbreviated) was we don't have contracts in place to allow us to update the ebay app. it will not be updated. it will be allowed to fail. go sideload it
stupid corporate spat ?? you'd think ebay would prefer to have folks install on amazon devices from a legit amazon app store and not to sideload possible dodgy versions, but apparently not
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 05:29 AM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

here is the full amazon response FYI

to me this is corporate insanity- phishing / hacking into ebay is high value target for fraudsters.

there is no way I would trust putting my ebay credentials into an "ebay app" from any of the 3rd party apk download sites

( I am almost tempted to write back to amazon and say thanks for the advice - which pirate site do you suggest I sideload from ? )

thankfully the how to install google play store on fire tablets methods still work so you can get a legit version that way.
Hello,

I understand that your query is regarding Ebay application and its situation on Fire Tablets in future.

It is true that Ebay application is not updated on Fire OS , this is because Amazon do not have licenses to update this app for its customers. As, you might already know that license approval depends on the Ebay.

I've checked my resources, I'm very sorry to say that, Ebay Application on Fire OS is being deprecated in 2018.

Hence, it's not going to be updated. If you wish to you can side download this application in .apk format from 3rd party.

Please accept my apologies in this regard.

Should you require any additional information or assistance, please feel free to contact us back and We'll be glad to assist you.

We look forward to seeing you soon again.

We'd appreciate your feedback. Please use the links below to tell us about your experience today.

Last edited by stumped; 11-21-2017 at 05:33 AM.
Advert
Old 11-21-2017, 12:29 PM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Can't you just go to ebay in the browser?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:34 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Can't you just go to ebay in the browser?
Not the same thing at all. The app gives you real-time alerts on bids, etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 05:52 PM   #5
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Isn't it ebay's responsibility to update the app for the Fire?
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2017, 07:36 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Isn't it ebay's responsibility to update the app for the Fire?
Yes and given that eBay last updated their Fire app in 2014 it seems like they've all but abandoned it.

The OP would probably have better luck installing the Google Play store on their Fire (assuming it's a newer model where that's pretty easy) so they can install the app from that source as opposed to getting eBay to update their Fire app.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 11-21-2017 at 07:43 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:24 PM   #7
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
My FaceBook app hasn't been update in forever either.... missing 25 updates. Crazy
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:00 AM   #8
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Yes and given that eBay last updated their Fire app in 2014 it seems like they've all but abandoned it.

The OP would probably have better luck installing the Google Play store on their Fire (assuming it's a newer model where that's pretty easy) so they can install the app from that source as opposed to getting eBay to update their Fire app.
That is what i did.
But i dont understand how it good for ebay to deny amazon an app licence. Zero gain, more risk of fraud via dodgy apps.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:13 AM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
That is what i did.
But i dont understand how it good for ebay to deny amazon an app licence. Zero gain, more risk of fraud via dodgy apps.
You might just as well ask why publishers make it hard for people to get their books in ebook versions. They are stuck in a 19th century business model and don't want to change even though it would be to their benefit in the long run. I can imagine that ebay is much the same way only in using regular (i.e. desktop or laptop) computers vs. a tablet to access their site.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:22 AM   #10
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
You might just as well ask why publishers make it hard for people to get their books in ebook versions. They are stuck in a 19th century business model and don't want to change even though it would be to their benefit in the long run. I can imagine that ebay is much the same way only in using regular (i.e. desktop or laptop) computers vs. a tablet to access their site.
yes but ebay promote the benefits of the ebay app, and the paypal apps very hard. they even go to the trouble of emailing me to advise me to update....

just maybe they are more interested in getting the app mostly onto smartphones where they can spam out the instant notifications, and amazon no longer have a fire phone - but surely it costs ebay nothing to give amazon an up to date app for their store. same for facebook et al. It does not benefit them in any obvious way to hurt amazon's app and device sales

if amazon actually closed the loophole that lets you install the google play store, they would lose me as a tablet buyer. if I could not have Chrome browser with synced bookmarks on my tablet then I would switch brands immediately
Old 11-23-2017, 10:49 PM   #11
Magic Matt
Magic Matt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle eReader 4
Just install Google Play Store then any apps you like that way. You can even have Google's keyboard. Amazon don't want eBay on Kindle because it competes with their Market Place, so they're not going to resolve it.
Magic Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 01:31 AM   #12
stumped
Wizard

please READ the thread's previous posts , I have twice already explained 1) I do that already 2) that is not the point of the thread- which it to question why ebay and amazon will not co-operate
you are the 2nd inattentive poster who has "advised" me to install google play , after i have twice written that I already did that
Old 11-24-2017, 02:16 AM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
please READ the thread's previous posts , I have twice already explained 1) I do that already 2) that is not the point of the thread- which it to question why ebay and amazon will not co-operate
you are the 2nd inattentive poster who has "advised" me to install google play , after i have twice written that I already did that
The same reason they will not allow PayPal, Google, other e-reader apps and so on. Ebay and Amazon are competitors. It would be foolish for them to do so.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 04:16 AM   #14
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
The same reason they will not allow PayPal, Google, other e-reader apps and so on. Ebay and Amazon are competitors. It would be foolish for them to do so.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Well, even microsoft has started to provide bits and pieces of support for linux here and there. Are they going foolish or starting to wise up?

Sent from my thinkpad.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:14 AM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Well, even microsoft has started to provide bits and pieces of support for linux here and there. Are they going foolish or starting to wise up?

Sent from my thinkpad.
Apples to Oranges. Amazon barely turns a profit selling their tablets. You can understand why they keep it walled. They hope by selling their devices cheap that the buyer will buy content to use with them. They want you to shop at their store not someone else's. It's just smart business.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote