Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-04-2017, 02:10 PM   #1
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
source for kobo glo hd board?

I just got back from a year long trip. Along the way my Glo HD stopped charging. I took it to a phone repair place and they managed to fix the USB port so that it would charge, but now that I'm back home I find that it wont connect to any computer (all it will do is charge).

Pretty sure I need a whole new board (the rest of the device is fine seems like a waste to throw it out). Unfortunately I'm not turning up anything on eBay. Anyone know if theres possibly another source, like direct from the factory, for a replacement board?
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:28 PM   #2
Blas
Ulica Guy
Blas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo H2O and Motorola XOOM 2(for comics)
Hey I don't know a lot about hardware stuff. But I think the USB that goes in the desktop entrance has 4 connectors 2 for energy and 2 for data. So probably the micro USB is the same. So can you check it they brazed all the 4 connectors on the board? Sorry if I'm saying something you probably already checked.
Blas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2017, 02:42 PM   #3
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Indeed it's probably the connector, he only fixed the power pins, but it's looking pretty mangled and I'm not at all capable of soldering something that tiny. Dunno if I'm likely to have luck at a phone repair place in the first world (Canada) having the necessary skill?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0671.JPG
Views:	618
Size:	624.7 KB
ID:	159294  
Old 10-04-2017, 02:52 PM   #4
stewacide
Groupie

BTW, I dug up an old Glo non-HD that had a broken screen. If I connect to HD's screen to it it sorta works. Neat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0672.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	304.0 KB
ID:	159295  
Old 10-04-2017, 03:51 PM   #5
Blas
Ulica Guy
Blas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo H2O and Motorola XOOM 2(for comics)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewacide View Post
Indeed it's probably the connector, he only fixed the power pins, but it's looking pretty mangled and I'm not at all capable of soldering something that tiny. Dunno if I'm likely to have luck at a phone repair place in the first world (Canada) having the necessary skill?
To sold the top tiny ones you can use those hot air guns, you can find some tutorials on YouTube.

Last edited by Blas; 10-04-2017 at 06:09 PM.
Blas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2017, 05:30 PM   #6
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
maybe you can find a device with broken screen that's fine otherwise and use that board

or just leave it like that. you can download books via the web browser. you can delete books on the device itself. you can get by somehow...
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:20 AM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewacide View Post
I just got back from a year long trip. Along the way my Glo HD stopped charging. I took it to a phone repair place and they managed to fix the USB port so that it would charge, but now that I'm back home I find that it wont connect to any computer (all it will do is charge).

Pretty sure I need a whole new board (the rest of the device is fine seems like a waste to throw it out). Unfortunately I'm not turning up anything on eBay. Anyone know if theres possibly another source, like direct from the factory, for a replacement board?
Could Calibre companion be used as a work around to get books on the device?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:51 AM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Nope. Calibre companion runs in iOS or Android

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 01:02 PM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Nope. Calibre companion runs in iOS or Android

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Oops, sorry about that.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:35 PM   #10
stewacide
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
A wifi syncing solution would be nice, but I don't think there is one.

I suppose I could remove the internal SD to add books, but that's a pretty big PITA.

Trying to justify an H2O Edition 2 to myself: waterproof and 'f.lux' night mode sound really really nice... but the Glo HD didn't last me much more than a year (although my original Glo went for a good 5 years and took endless abuse), and I find myself listening to audiobooks more and more, and ebooks only at the beach...
Old 10-08-2017, 01:51 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You could try eBay to see if there a Glo HD for sale that has a broken screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 03:52 PM   #12
stewacide
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You could try eBay to see if there a Glo HD for sale that has a broken screen.
Have been looking for about two weeks (also on Kijiji). None. Seems they're more likely to die these days from bad USB ports (so no help to me!)

Anyway I broke down and ordered an H2O v2. The lack of whitebalance shifting has always kept me from using my ereaders at night (except when I've resorted to using a red headlamp); instead I've been using my iPhone with f.lux. The new "comfortlight pro" + nightmode (hope that works on the H2O-2) should finally make eink viable in bed for me.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:18 PM   #13
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
MobileReadForm Flea Market for selling old ereaders working or broken.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=124
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote