Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 12-20-2004, 12:46 AM   #1
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
Gadget and Cable Management Nightmares

(This picture is not me, thanks Alexander =)

As many know, I have a lot of mobile, embedded, and other handheld, powered, and battery-laden gear. I just picked up another pair of 16-outlet TrippLite adapters just to try to keep the office desk and floor cleaner to try to alleviate the headaches of all of the power bricks and adapters.

All of these gadgets means I have a lot of cables, cradles, adapters, parts, pieces, and other things that are all very device-specific. A year from now, when I'm looking at two unlabeled power adapters, I won't remember if they go with my Cybiko units, or the JTAG I was using at the time to reflash my iPAQ devices.

This leads to a cable-management nightmare. I've tried keeping them separated in boxes. I've tried labels. I've tried putting them in "industrial" ZipLock bags with the built-in labelling. I've tried the little plastic drawer sorting solutions, and these don't work well either with all kinds of shapes, sizes, and parts to fit in identically-shaped drawers.

None of these solutions are ideal.

Here's what I'm looking for:

1. A cable/cradle/adapter management system that allows me to label, sort, and re-label my gadgets as necessary.
  2. Some sort of case, block, foam standup portfolio that lets me hold about 25 PCMCIA cards and adapters inside. Ideally, this should include holding other media as well, for my CF, SM, and SD/MMC cards, but that isn't really a hard-requirement.
  3. Some way to keep the system clean and out of the way, which can be easily relocated or moved around (i.e. semi-portable, not bolted to the floor or wall).
Has anyone found something like this that they've used, or seen used before? Its really reaching the boiling point now, I have an entire 6x8 table covered with sorted wires, cradles, adapters, and other devices.

Note: Ok, I've identified the numbered list bug here. If you have a numbered list, and preview your post several times in a row, while changing nothing, the spacing above the numbered list will continue to grow by one line for every preview you make. Alexander, a small fix?

Last edited by hacker; 12-20-2004 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:06 AM   #2
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Update: This is NOT what I'm looking for! <big grin>
Advert
Old 12-20-2004, 06:26 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker
Note: Ok, I've identified the numbered list bug here. If you have a numbered list, and preview your post several times in a row, while changing nothing, the spacing above the numbered list will continue to grow by one line for every preview you make. Alexander, a small fix?
This is a known bug related to the WYSIWYG engine (I assume you have WYSIWYG enabled in your user options). A fix would include some changes in the javascript engine that is responsible for displaying WYSIWYG; unfortunately there is no fix available yet. Thanks for informing me though!

Back to your original topic: I know how you feel! Last time I travelled from Chicago to Frankfurt, I was afraid that customs would stop and ask me some unkind questions because of all the device-specific converters, cables, and addons I had in my bags.

My favorite solution would be a standard bus system which any device could use for communication and battery charging.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:03 AM   #4
johnsoax
Connoisseur
johnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it is

Device: TT3(Home)&Dell x50(Work)
Quote:
Here's what I'm looking for:

1. Some sort of case, block, foam standup portfolio that lets me hold about 25 PCMCIA cards and adapters inside. Ideally, this should include holding other media as well, for my CF, SM, and SD/MMC cards, but that isn't really a hard-requirement.
  2. Some way to keep the system clean and out of the way, which can be easily relocated or moved around (i.e. semi-portable, not bolted to the floor or wall).
Has anyone found something like this that they've used, or seen used before? Its really reaching the boiling point now, I have an entire 6x8 table covered with sorted wires, cradles, adapters, and other devices.
Have you looked at pelican cases for the pcmcia needs? Pelican They come in all sizes.

As for the other adapters and such, I guess I just don't understand what you need. A picture of your mess may help .
Old 12-20-2004, 10:42 AM   #5
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
One of these days, we'll be able to recharge wirelessly..
http://economist.com/displayStory.cfm?Story_id=2724508
http://www.splashpower.com/solution/overview.html
Advert
Old 12-20-2004, 11:22 AM   #6
johnsoax
Connoisseur
johnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it is

Device: TT3(Home)&Dell x50(Work)
For most cables that I don't use very often, I put them back in the box that they came in and put the box in the closet. That way, they are organized and labeled pretty well. I also know where the cable/adapter is when I need it.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:35 AM   #7
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Update: This is NOT what I'm looking for! <big grin>
Why not? Ok, it is perhaps somewhat oversized. But at least nobody could claim that you are not a geek
Old 12-20-2004, 05:02 PM   #8
hacker
Technology Mercenary

What I really want, is telemetric power. Forget the charging bricks and cables, just give me proper telemetric power, full-time, and full-voltage. Not batteries, but real AC power.