Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-15-2017, 02:02 PM   #1
Colc
Enthusiast
Colc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Unwanted changes to my Paperwhite

I have had my PW for a couple of years; it is used extensively, I had my books sorted into collections; author and books read, unread books would be left on the home screen.
When I finished a book I would move it to “books read’ it would be deleted from the home screen.
I assume that there has been an update, my current version is 5.8.9.2, a few days ago everything changed; I am able to move to books read, but remains on the home page as well, if I remove it, it removes from the device also.
Now I have pages and pages of books read on the home screen, instead of a page or two of unread books. Am I able to correct this?
Colc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 02:20 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colc View Post
I have had my PW for a couple of years; it is used extensively, I had my books sorted into collections; author and books read, unread books would be left on the home screen.
When I finished a book I would move it to “books read’ it would be deleted from the home screen.
I assume that there has been an update, my current version is 5.8.9.2, a few days ago everything changed; I am able to move to books read, but remains on the home page as well, if I remove it, it removes from the device also.
Now I have pages and pages of books read on the home screen, instead of a page or two of unread books. Am I able to correct this?
You don't say which paperwhite, but the PW1 does not run 5.8.9.2 so you must have a PW2 or PW3.

First thing -
Go to your device's Amazon page, download and install the current firmware (5.8.10).
Now all of the changes can be fixed at the same time.

For your own control of OTA updates -
Connect Kindle to PC with USB cable.
At the top of visible USB storage, create a directory (folder) named:
update.bin.tmp.partial
That spelling, all lower case, no additional extension.

If the system ever deletes that directory, just put it back on the device.
So far, if it does, it will give you a pop-up warning menu that a OTA download failed (most firmware versions don't even try).

Since you have had the device "for years" and only now received an update, you must not let it connect to the Internet, or at least not very often.

With that directory name added, it should be alright to let it connect to the Internet.

= = = =

Now, onto your problem -
Amazon has made some changes in collection management fairly recently.
The changes include being able to manage the device collections from your Amazon account page.

Exactly what you have to do to sort out the mess - - -
Sorry I don't know what you have to do (it in part depends on the book type and if you purchased them from Amazon).

Someone else can continue with the HowTo on cleaning up the mess.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2017, 02:54 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What view do you have the library set to? In "Collection" view, if a book is in a collection, it won't also be shown separately; in "Author" or "Title" view it will be.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:58 PM   #4
Colc
Enthusiast
Colc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks for prompt replies; will try the suggestions.
Colc is offline   Reply With Quote