Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 08-06-2017, 09:49 PM   #1
ChipAHoy
Thistle Sifter
ChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question Kindle Fire and Macbook issue

The Kindle Fire does not show up as a device when plugged in to my laptop. I have tried both ports on my Mac. The Kindle Fire shows up when plugged in to another laptop.

My Kindle Voyage shows up intermittantly when plugged in to my computer, and shows up fine when plugged in to my husband's computer.

I am trying to figure out if there is a problem with my USB ports, the charging chord, or the device.
ChipAHoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:29 PM   #2
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAHoy View Post
The Kindle Fire does not show up as a device when plugged in to my laptop. I have tried both ports on my Mac. The Kindle Fire shows up when plugged in to another laptop.

My Kindle Voyage shows up intermittantly when plugged in to my computer, and shows up fine when plugged in to my husband's computer.

I am trying to figure out if there is a problem with my USB ports, the charging chord, or the device.
If the Kindle works consistently with the same cable on a different computer, then I would say that, logically, the cable and the port on the Kindle are fine. It seems unlikely that BOTH ports on your Mac would go bad at the same time, but you never know, I guess. Do the ports work with other devices?

Is this a new situation, or is this a new computer (to your kindle, that is)?

As a PC guy, I don't know much about Macs. But to me, it sounds like it might also be a software issue. Does your husband's computer use the same operating system? Is it set up differently in some way?

To me, this sounds like a computer specific issue. A call to tech support is not out of the question, I think. (To both Apple and Amazon - don't tell them you have called the other, they'll just point to the other company as being their fault. make them go through their checklist, at least!)
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2017, 11:09 PM   #3
ChipAHoy
Thistle Sifter
ChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notes

Thank you for the reply.
My husband's computer is a Windows computer.
My tech support with Apple is past its warranty, so I think I will just have to take the computer to the Apple store.
The USB ports sometime seem to work intermittently, so that could be the issue. When I run OnyX, I get the message that my computer needs to be repaired, but a help forum said OnyX shows this sometimes when it is not the case, and I have no other issues with the Mac.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:55 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAHoy View Post
Thank you for the reply.
My husband's computer is a Windows computer.
My tech support with Apple is past its warranty, so I think I will just have to take the computer to the Apple store.
The USB ports sometime seem to work intermittently, so that could be the issue. When I run OnyX, I get the message that my computer needs to be repaired, but a help forum said OnyX shows this sometimes when it is not the case, and I have no other issues with the Mac.
Let me guess - you have a Mac with only USB-3 ports.

There was a bad run of the USB-3 controller chip used in the Mac computers.
Only a few ten million or so.
They where recalled by the chip manufacturer but there where a few million that got lose before the recall.
(It was a big news story in the world of chip manufacturing.)

Those chips behave just as you describe.
They are just fine with USB-3 devices, flaky with USB-2 devices.
Your Kindle only has a USB-2 port.

If you need to connect a USB-2 device to one of these flaky USB-3 ports, you need to use an external (USB-3) hub that does not contain one of these flaky chips.
It will serve as a USB-2 to USB-3 converter in addition to being a multi-port hub.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:24 AM   #5
ChipAHoy
Thistle Sifter

I actually only have two USB ports on my Macbook Air, but I wonder if the same solution might work? Maybe I will pickup an external USB-3 hub and try it out. Thanks again for the info

Advert
Old 08-07-2017, 10:41 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the Kindle Fire forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:19 PM   #7
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Hmmm -- I've never had a problem, but I have a MacBook Air too. I'll have to mentally file this tip.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote