Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-10-2017, 01:41 PM   #1
Nanez
Nanez began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura
Which readers have "warm light"?

I am looking for a new ereader and i can't make up my mind
My ideal reader would have a 6 inch screen and the option to read with a warm/reddish light, and everything else functioning as it should. I would also buy a reader with ONLY the warm reddish light because the only time i used the light at all on my Kobo Aura was when reading in bed, but i figure they don't exist.
Readers that i know of that come close to my wishes are the Tolino vision 4 HD - but i read in the reviews that the light does not really get as warm or reddish as you might wish. In which case i am not so very willing to pay the 60 extra euros for it.
The Kobo Aura H2O has a nice reddish light, i checked it out today in a store. But i would really prefer to have a smaller reader, 6 inch instead of 6.8.

Are there other readers which have this nice reddish light without getting huge or very expensive?

Because if this is it, then i might just drop the whole red-light idea and buy one of the refurbished Kobo Glo HD's that they also had in this store (if they actually where the HD version because the boxes didn't say so).
Nanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:50 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Trust m, once you read with a 6.8" screen, a 6" screen will seem small. I really think you might like the 6.8" screen if you gave it a chance.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2017, 12:29 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanez View Post
The Kobo Aura H2O has a nice reddish light, i checked it out today in a store. But i would really prefer to have a smaller reader, 6 inch instead of 6.8.
When buying, just be aware that only the Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 has the adjustable light temperature - the original H2O (which is what I think of when you say "Kobo Aura H2O") doesn't.

It's a lovely device, and despite the size (which I adjusted to extremely quickly with my H2O) the Edition 2 weighs only 207 grams - about the same as the Kindle Paperwhite (which only has a six inch display).
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:50 AM   #4
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Trust m, once you read with a 6.8" screen, a 6" screen will seem small. I really think you might like the 6.8" screen if you gave it a chance.
Or, perhaps not. My Kobo H2O, though an excellent unit, is little used by me because I find it too big and unpleasant to hold for a decent reading session.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:33 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by church mouse View Post
Or, perhaps not. My Kobo H2O, though an excellent unit, is little used by me because I find it too big and unpleasant to hold for a decent reading session.
But, the new H2O Edition 2 is lighter and the bezel is smaller. So you might find it easier to hold.
Advert
Old 07-11-2017, 07:08 AM   #6
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
The H2O is 129 x 179 x8.8 mm and weighs 233g.

The new H2O is 129 x 172 x 8.8 mm and weighs 207g. (So a nice weight saving, but not much change in size).

My Tolino 3 is 114 × 163 × 8.1 mm and weighs just 174g

My Energy Sistem is 118 x 159 x 8 mm and weighs 179 g

The Kobo Glo HD was 115 x 157 x 9.2mm and weighed 180g. (How I wish I had swapped my H2O for that).

I just like a dinky, lightweight reader and, for all we know, the OP may do too.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:27 AM   #7
Nanez

Hi guys,
Thanks for the replies, Yes i really like to keep it small. Of course i don't know how easily i could get used to sth. bigger until i try, but it just really doesn't appeal to me.

And i meant the second version of the H2O, havent even checked the previous version as they go for the same price.

So no other small readers with reddish light? I will try to find a place where i can check out the Tolino vision 4 then, and maybe check out options for filtering blue light or something.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:59 AM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Trust m, ...
Selling any used cars today?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:06 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by church mouse View Post
The H2O is 129 x 179 x8.8 mm and weighs 233g.

The new H2O is 129 x 172 x 8.8 mm and weighs 207g. (So a nice weight saving, but not much change in size).

My Tolino 3 is 114 × 163 × 8.1 mm and weighs just 174g

My Energy Sistem is 118 x 159 x 8 mm and weighs 179 g

The Kobo Glo HD was 115 x 157 x 9.2mm and weighed 180g. (How I wish I had swapped my H2O for that).

I just like a dinky, lightweight reader and, for all we know, the OP may do too.
Amazon's best selling Reader is the PW3. It weights in at 205g for WiFi and 217g for WiFi+3G. The size is 169mm x 117mm x 9.1mm which is not really all that much different than the H2O2. So if many people can use a PW3 without complaining of it's size or weight, then I see no reason to complain about the size/weight of the H2O2.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:11 AM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Amazon's best selling Reader is the PW3. It weights in at 205g for WiFi and 217g for WiFi+3G. The size is 169mm x 117mm x 9.1mm which is not really all that much different than the H2O2. So if many people can use a PW3 without complaining of it's size or weight, then I see no reason to complain about the size/weight of the H2O2.
Jon,
Did you get those measurements correct?
I see the PW is 40 mm longer but 55 mm narrower.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:30 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The Tolino Vision 4 HD has a 6" Carta 300 dpi screen. It allows the screen temperature to be adjusted to filter out the blue light. But, I'm not sure if it can be bought in the US. So if you are in the US, you may possibly not be able to get one.

You really NEED to put in where you live so when you ask for help, help can be given properly as some answers could be based on where you live.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:32 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Jon,
Did you get those measurements correct?
I see the PW is 40 mm longer but 55 mm narrower.
Remember, the H2O2 has a 6.8" screen. so yes, it will be wider than the PW3 with a 6" screen. .8" = 20.32mm
Old 07-11-2017, 09:59 AM   #13
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Remember, the H2O2 has a 6.8" screen. so yes, it will be wider than the PW3 with a 6" screen. .8" = 20.32mm
Thanks for the clarification.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:27 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
That is a diagonal measurement so the width isn't nearly that much. The screen sizes as shown in our wiki are:

120 x 89mm for the voyage (other 6" devices are 91mm wide) and 137 x 104 mm for the Aura HD.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:24 AM   #15
Nanez

A lot of posts, but no answer to my questions. I guess this means no one knows of other readers with warm light?

@JSWolf, i had mentioned the Tolino vision 4 HD, and was not 100% explicit about that but i live in Europe and it is available in my country. It is not available in electronic stores but only in a couple of bookstores, got to make some phone calls to see if i can check it out somewhere without buying to see if the light is warm enough to pay for (see also my first post).