Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-03-2017, 12:37 PM   #1
RandomGiraffe
Connoisseur
RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle PW4
PW1 not jailbroken following firmware update

Hello from this noob

I wonder if someone could help me with a little issue. I wanted custom screensavers on my PW1 running firmware 5.6.1.1 so looked here and followed the advice to successfully downgrade to 5.3.3. I was then able to jailbreak and installed the screensaver package. All good. However I then foolishly updated back to 5.6.1.1 and the custom screensavers no longer worked.

The situation now is that if I drop any .bin files into my Kindle root, they seem to be automatically deleted as soon as I eject it. I tried installing the hotfix as per this, but still no joy - screensaver customisation gone, all .bin are still deleted when I eject my PW1. Any thoughts on what to try next please?
RandomGiraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 12:46 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
You have to reinstall Mrpi and any hacks you have put on there.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2017, 12:46 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomGiraffe View Post
Hello from this noob

I wonder if someone could help me with a little issue. I wanted custom screensavers on my PW1 running firmware 5.6.1.1 so looked here and followed the advice to successfully downgrade to 5.3.3. I was then able to jailbreak and installed the screensaver package. All good. However I then foolishly updated back to 5.6.1.1 and the custom screensavers no longer worked.

The situation now is that if I drop any .bin files into my Kindle root, they seem to be automatically deleted as soon as I eject it. I tried installing the hotfix as per this, but still no joy - screensaver customisation gone, all .bin are still deleted when I eject my PW1. Any thoughts on what to try next please?
Re-install the screen saver add-in.
You MUST always re-install all add-ins after a a firmware update, always.

For firmware versions more recent than 5.6.0 (this means YOU), you must use MrPI to install any of our update_*.bin name format packages.
That means the ss add-in.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:55 PM   #4
RandomGiraffe
Connoisseur
RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

OK thanks for the speedy response. So to be clear, I have to install KUAL then install MrPI?

Big thanks to you lot for all your hard work btw, much appreciated
Old 07-03-2017, 03:06 PM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
OK thanks for the speedy response. So to be clear, I have to install KUAL then install MrPI?

Big thanks to you lot for all your hard work btw, much appreciated
Quick Answer YES.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2017, 03:47 PM   #6
RandomGiraffe
Connoisseur

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Quick Answer YES.
Quick Response THANKS! That has done the trick.

I've got files and folders all over the place on my PW1 now following FW downgrade, install of Python & screensaver hacks, re-upgrade, etc etc. Should I worry about that or best to tidy it up? Should/can I uninstall the Python & screensaver hacks I installed while downgraded, prior to re-upgrading etc?
Old 07-03-2017, 04:07 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quick Response THANKS! That has done the trick.

I've got files and folders all over the place on my PW1 now following FW downgrade, install of Python & screensaver hacks, re-upgrade, etc etc. Should I worry about that or best to tidy it up? Should/can I uninstall the Python & screensaver hacks I installed while downgraded, prior to re-upgrading etc?
It should not be like that.
The re-installation should have been in exactly the same places.

Including special system extensions (esys), kTerm, Rescue Pack and USB networking, which you have not mentioned, the top two directory levels (less any files) should look similar to this:

Warning: You will have Python and Screensaver stuff that I do not have on this device!

There should not be any files at the Kindle/* level, only directories.
Code:
Kindle
├── documents
│   ├── dictionaries
│   └── My Clippings.sdr
├── esys
│   ├── bin
│   ├── java
│   └── lib
├── extensions
│   ├── kterm
│   ├── MRInstaller
│   └── usbnet
├── mkk
├── mrpackages
├── rp
├── system
│   ├── acw
│   ├── CloudIndices
│   ├── fonts
│   ├── freetime
│   ├── grok_thumbnails
│   ├── kf8
│   ├── kll
│   ├── readingstreams
│   ├── recommendation
│   ├── release_notes
│   ├── Search Indexes
│   ├── startactions
│   ├── thumbnails
│   └── vocabulary
├── UPDATE~.BIN
├── update.bin.tmp.partial
├── usbnet
│   ├── bin
│   ├── empty
│   ├── etc
│   ├── lib
│   ├── libexec
│   ├── run
│   ├── sbin
│   └── share
└── voice
And of course, you don't have 'voice' on your PW-1 (the above is a KT3).

Last edited by knc1; 07-03-2017 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:33 AM   #8
RandomGiraffe
Connoisseur

Thanks knc1, mine looks mostly like that now, with the addition of the linkss and python folders like you say. However I also have Kindle\.active_content_sandbox and Kindle\developer. Should I worry about those?
Old 07-04-2017, 02:40 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Thanks knc1, mine looks mostly like that now, with the addition of the linkss and python folders like you say. However I also have Kindle\.active_content_sandbox and Kindle\developer. Should I worry about those?
Nope.
Those are also normal.

There have been a few changes over the years (from: 5.6.x -> 5.8.y).
I just didn't have a PW-1 handy to collect the file tree.