Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-02-2017, 01:01 AM   #1
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Cleaning Paperwhite screen

I have a Paperwhite 3.
I've cleaned the screen a few times with a microfibre cloth damped with 50% isopropyl alcohol and distilled water (an LCD screen cleaning kit).

Is this OK? I don't want to strip off any essential coatings. I've been using this on my monitor and TV for a while and they seem OK.

I did search for this, but found either hundreds of posts, or four, depending if I used quotes, but none that seemed to be about physically cleaning the screen.
Though I'm sure it's not a new question.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 01:03 AM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
NO! Any Alcohol will destroy the screen!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2017, 01:08 AM   #3
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
NO! Any Alcohol will destroy the screen!
Not doubting you, but how do you know this?
Old 06-02-2017, 01:24 AM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Because it took 6 months of using Alcohol to distroy my PW screen... Amazon almost didn't replace it either. Tech said Only Damp soft cloth.... cold water... Very damp
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 01:52 AM   #5
AlanHK
Guru

Quote:
Because it took 6 months of using Alcohol to distroy my PW screen... Amazon almost didn't replace it either. Tech said Only Damp soft cloth.... cold water... Very damp
OK, thanks.
Have only used alcohol twice, so should be OK from now on if I just use water.
Advert
Old 06-02-2017, 06:16 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Don't use water unless there is gunk on the screen that the dry microfibre cloth will not get rid of.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:33 AM   #7
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I have eyeglass cleaner made with one drop of dish soap and clean water. It's in a spray bottle that originally had expensive eyeglass cleaner. I use that and clean my screen every two weeks or so unless I splash lunch on it.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:14 PM   #8
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
How often were you cleaning the screen?
Once a day would be 180 times.
Twice a week would be 90 times.
Once a week would be 24 times.
Once every 2 weeks is 12 times.
Once a month is 6 times.
Very different scenarios.

Oh and to the OP, I have used alcohol at least once on all my devices to remove sticky labels. Otherwise, just a damp cloth (not wringing wet) or nothing as those screens really don't get that dirty.

Though Katie1 is correct, if you use alcohol too often on almost any surface you can damage it. Glass is the exception so your TV will be fine.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:18 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I just breathe on the screen and then clean it with a microfibre cloth - the same cloth I clean my glasses with. Works absolutely fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:26 PM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I just breathe on the screen and then clean it with a microfibre cloth - the same cloth I clean my glasses with. Works absolutely fine.
Trivia question.
Are they actual glass like my husband's glasses or a type of scratch resistant plastic?
Before you ask, his glasses are very heavy.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:49 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Given it's a Paperwhite, the light layer is plastic.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:55 PM   #12
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Given it's a Paperwhite, the light layer is plastic.
In which case, excessive use of alcohol will eventually damage the screen.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:07 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

When I clean the screen of an eInk Reader, I use a microfiber cloth dry. If there is something on the screen that doesn't come off, then I use a little water. But most time dry works no problem.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:48 PM   #14
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have two methods for cleaning screens and none of them ever involve any kinds of cleaners other than water.

As HarryT said, I breathe on mine and wipe it using either a microfiber cloth or toilet paper. I do this fairly regularly.

If it gets something on it this won't remove, which doesn't happen often, I use a damp sponge to scrub it. The sponge is damped and then wrung out with all the strength I can manage at 76. It won't leave drops of water anywhere except where I scrub and I only scrub where it needs cleaning. I use no cleaners of any kind and I rinse the sponge first to make sure there isn't any leftover cleaner.

By the way, my mention of toilet paper panics some people. Paper has pumice in it. Without it a pencil wouldn't leave a mark. Some papers, such as Kleenex and other tissues have extra pumice and we whittlers sometimes use it after sandpaper, which it really is.

The only paper you can be sure doesn't contain pumice is toilet paper, and then only if it isn't made from recycled paper. I learned this in a papermaking class decades ago and I've argued with many an opthamologist about it and all who have researched it (most did) have decided I was right and some even recommend it to their patients. As a diabetic I've known a lot of ophthalmologists so this is for real.

I also use toilet paper to clean my glasses and have for about 40 years and none has ever been harmed. Just be sure you know the source of the toilet paper if you do this. If it's made with recycled paper, which some are now, all bets are off. Those are always labeled as made from recycled paper.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:41 PM   #15
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I have two methods for cleaning screens and none of them ever involve any kinds of cleaners other than water.

As HarryT said, I breathe on mine and wipe it using either a microfiber cloth or toilet paper. I do this fairly regularly.

If it gets something on it this won't remove, which doesn't happen often, I use a damp sponge to scrub it. The sponge is damped and then wrung out with all the strength I can manage at 76. It won't leave drops of water anywhere except where I scrub and I only scrub where it needs cleaning. I use no cleaners of any kind and I rinse the sponge first to make sure there isn't any leftover cleaner.

By the way, my mention of toilet paper panics some people. Paper has pumice in it. Without it a pencil wouldn't leave a mark. Some papers, such as Kleenex and other tissues have extra pumice and we whittlers sometimes use it after sandpaper, which it really is.

The only paper you can be sure doesn't contain pumice is toilet paper, and then only if it isn't made from recycled paper. I learned this in a papermaking class decades ago and I've argued with many an opthamologist about it and all who have researched it (most did) have decided I was right and some even recommend it to their patients. As a diabetic I've known a lot of ophthalmologists so this is for real.

I also use toilet paper to clean my glasses and have for about 40 years and none has ever been harmed. Just be sure you know the source of the toilet paper if you do this. If it's made with recycled paper, which some are now, all bets are off. Those are always labeled as made from recycled paper.

Barry
Can you change the wording just a bit?
Paragraph 2 followed by paragraph 3 gave a bad visual.
You use TP, then if something gets on the reader you use water.
Very bad visual.