Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 12-14-2004, 03:38 PM   #1
Zire
Fanatic
Zire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zire 71
Review: Trooper (Now Low Heap Version!)

Features:
* Turn-based, aim and fire type of game
* Full 3D environment (FASTEST VOXEL GRAPHICS ON PALM OS TO DATE)
* Destructable 3D terrain
* Fully configurable sound, graphics and controls (Including Zodiac controls!)
* Stylus or configurable key controls
* Play against a friend or CPU, with 3 difficulty levels
* Camera follow mode so that you don't miss the action
* Alpha-blended smoke and explosion effects
* Weapon shop with adjustable money reserves, from cheap rocket wars to expensive nuclear wars
* Number of Troopers from 1 to 5
* Wind setting
* 30 Maps to choose from including Earth, Volcano and Space themes
* Game saving/loading to/from external memory cards
* Sounds include explosions, screams and a full music track
* Map technology to save more than 60% storage space per map (Quality 260k maps generated from only 8k of storage data)
* Hires and Hires+ support in both Landscape and Portrait modes
* Zodiac and Tungsten C vibration effects
* Mobile map editor coming soon!

Requirements:
* Palm OS 5.0 or higher with the following:
o 8.6mb of free storage (Before installation, 6.6MB thereafter)
o Minimum 950kb of dynamic heap space (320x320 & 160x160 version)
o Minimum 1.2mb of dynamic heap space (320x480 & 480x320 version)
o Mimimum 700kb of dynamic heap space (Tungsten T & T2 version)
o Color display, 320x320 mimimum recommended
o Optional: External storage card with 1mb free for saving games
o Support for standard palm streaming audio (Sony Clie(tm) without this support will run without sound)
o Optional: Vibration alert

Review:
I have to hand it to the developer. Henco and his team made the low heap version of this game have the same game play as the original, the only difference is that the graphics are a bit pixelated to accomodate for low heap devices. With this version Henco also reduced the price of the game to $9.95 and when you buy the game you buy both versions so that you can register the original when you upgrade to a palm with higher heap memory allocation. I am simply in awe of the graphics and sound. What is surprising is that palm has come so far to support the graphics that this game has. I also give the developer five stars for accomodating us palmers with low heap devices. Frankly other developers should do as cronotech did and reduce the requirements of their high heap games and make low heap versions as well. If you like the game buy it. Its cheap but not cheaply made.

If audio doesn't work for you clie try this http://www.aibohack.com/clie/modclieaud.htm . I tried it on my sister's NX80 and it works fine.

Try it for free or buy it for $9.95!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trooper8.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	450  
Old 12-16-2004, 04:42 AM   #2
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by zire71man
With this version Henco also reduced the price of the game to $9.95 and when you buy the game you buy both versions so that you can register the original when you upgrade to a palm with higher heap memory allocation.
That is fair! I wish other vendors would also offer free cross-device and/or cross-platform upgrades of their products.

I had a look at more of those stunning screenshots. Looks really amazing what is possible with a small Palm OS device. Zire71man, you mention that this game has the "fastest voxel grahpics on palm on". Are there any other Palm games available that have also have voxel graphics technology?

And thanks for the review.
Advert
Old 12-16-2004, 11:39 AM   #3
Zire
Fanatic
Zire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zire 71
Actually the only other voxel program that I could find for the palm is called Voxel find it at http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...=&prodID=60684

By the way your screenshot link is broken. Also you should really try this game it rocks!