Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-01-2017, 12:54 PM   #1
genoasalami
Connoisseur
genoasalami began at the beginning.

Device: KK3G, PW, Voyage, Oasis, Aura One, Forma
Exclamation epub -> azw3 conversion resulting in blank spaces where text belongs

Hi folks- very longtime lurker. I love the software. Kudos to Kovid Goyal for keeping it going for this long, and for keeping it free. It's thanks to him I get to use the best ereader hardware out there without any of the compromises or sacrifices amazon would otherwise force on us. So, I'm very grateful.

My issue:

Recently, using version 2.82 on OS X, I have been converting ePubs into AZW3 format to be used on my Oasis. Every so often, the bottom half of a page will be blank. If I advance the page, a whole paragraph or more of text will have been skipped. However, if I then go backwards one page, the missing text appears, and in the correct place.

Sort of a strange problem, but I can't figure it out. Appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks all

Edit: I found the below discussion of this issue, but no solution. (Note, I am running Running 5.8.7.0.1 and still have the issue described below.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
After updating to 5.8.5.0.2, my Oasis has starting missing paragraphs. A screen will show the top half of the page, with the bottom half blank. Going forward one screen then back again will restore the full page. This happens sporadically.

At first I thought it was a problem with the ebook (epub converted to azw3 using KindleGen), but then it happened with two more ebooks. Looking at the html in each book reveals nothing unusual.

Restarting my Oasis will temporarily fix it, but then it will start happening again with greater and greater frequency until I restart again.

I have just reset my Oasis and will see if that helps, but wondering if anyone else is experiencing this. This has never happened to me before on my Oasis or Voyage. Just started with this latest update.

Thanks for any insights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
I see the same thing. It's clearly a bug. (For me, it happens intermittently and is always refreshed by switching pages, with no increasing frequency over time.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by septentrion View Post
It happens with my Voyage, not often enough to bother me. I hadn't realised ti might be caused by the latest software update.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
I never saw it before 5.8.5.*, so I'd bet it's a regression somewhere in there, indeed.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=22

Last edited by genoasalami; 04-03-2017 at 08:29 PM.
genoasalami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 01:32 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Crazy text that gets interpreted as (coding ) a HTML comment??

Except I would not expect that in a 'conversion' . Find the code (in the EPUB) where things go bad , then open the AZW3 in the editor and locate the same spot. Anything odd (I would expect the same code)?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2017, 08:22 PM   #3
genoasalami
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Crazy text that gets interpreted as (coding ) a HTML comment??

Except I would not expect that in a 'conversion' . Find the code (in the EPUB) where things go bad , then open the AZW3 in the editor and locate the same spot. Anything odd (I would expect the same code)?
Here are some examples. Copyrighted text removed.

See post 5

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-03-2017 at 10:20 PM. Reason: images deleted
Old 04-03-2017, 09:02 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There appear that there are Un balanced (curly quotes) in the Paragraph " "

That must be what is driving the parser off the end

BTW I don't think you need to obscure text in that small of a snippets (2 or 3 lines)
Old 04-03-2017, 09:08 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by genoasalami View Post
Here are some examples . . .
Moderator Notice
Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines may be deleted.

It is every member's responsibility to read our Posting Guidelines and follow them.

© Dr. Drib

If you use the boards attachment facility (use the paper click icon in Advanced mode, to upload and insert in-line) it will post thumbnails. See my attachment.

Rather than posting code fragments you could install and use the ScrambleEbook plugin, and attach its output epub.

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	155993  

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-03-2017 at 09:11 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2017, 09:24 PM   #6
genoasalami
Connoisseur

Quote:
There appear that there are Un balanced (curly quotes) in the Paragraph " "

That must be what is driving the parser off the end

BTW I don't think you need to obscure text in that small of a snippets (2 or 3 lines)
Thinking, then, to just remove all smart punctuation when converting?
Old 04-03-2017, 09:35 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by genoasalami View Post
Thinking, then, to just remove all smart punctuation when converting?
IIRC Removing Smart punctuation, will still leave the unbalanced problem.
Remove only converts to straight

Why not fix 1 or 3 by hand and see if the appear where they were bad before
Old 04-03-2017, 10:07 PM   #8
genoasalami
Connoisseur

Quote:
IIRC Removing Smart punctuation, will still leave the unbalanced problem.
Remove only converts to straight

Why not fix 1 or 3 by hand and see if the appear where they were bad before
I'll give it a go. However, I am thinking (based on the edited information in my first post) that this may be a Kindle firmware bug. (sigh...) Thanks for taking the time to help out
Old 04-04-2017, 11:40 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Does this only happen on Calibre generated AZW3's or also with ones generated with KindleGen/Kindle Previewer?

EDIT: Nevermind. I see odamizu is having the same problem with KindleGen generated files.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 04-04-2017 at 11:43 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:16 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This is a long standing issue with kindle firmware. Basically, under some circumstances parts of the text fail to render and you have to go back a page and forward again to work around it.

IIRC this usually happens when an anchor (the destination for a link) is close to/spans an internal text boundary in the MOBI/AZW3 file. MOBI files have the text/markup split up internally into fixed size chunks and the Kindle renderer basically renders one chunk at a time. THere can be issues if yo follow a link/TOC entry that goes to alocation close to the boundary of one of those chunks.

I dont think it is anything in the HTML markup itself that causes this -- however there is no way to be sure of that since we cant see the source code of the kindle renderer
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:32 PM   #11
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
That's interesting. I used ;dm to download error logs and it seems the problem lies with this error message:

framework: [41m[PRE_RENDER] fillUpCache(533): ERROR: NO page cache list or current page is a special page that shouldn't use cache[0m

Any insights into what "No page cache list" might mean? (There's nothing special about the page, just plain straight text, so I don't think the second half of the error message applies.)

More details here

Thanks!
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:47 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Probably it means that the renderer has not pre-rendered one of the chunks that are displayed on the current page, which is presumably why it shows up as blank.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:54 PM   #13
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, that makes sense. Given this error message, do you think there's anything in my HTML that might be causing this or that I should look for? Or do you still think it's related to the anchors in relation to internal text boundaries, as you say above?

(I've scrutinized the HTML and there doesn't seem to be anything unusual about it. Also, the source EPUB validates.)

Thank you!
Old 04-10-2017, 12:02 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quoting myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I dont think it is anything in the HTML markup itself that causes this -- however there is no way to be sure of that since we cant see the source code of the kindle renderer
Old 04-10-2017, 01:50 PM   #15
odamizu
just an egg

Okay, thank you.

I was hoping the error message ("No page cache list") would suggest an HTML fix, but it appears no such luck <sigh>