Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 01-27-2017, 07:31 AM   #1
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum
chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.

Device: Tolino Vision 3HD
How to insert automatically valid id's in ToC headings?

A few hundred of headings I want to make clickable to chapters and back. This (unusual in such a book) possibility of reverting to the ToC is intended to serve a comprehensive understanding of the chapters. Anyway, further explanations why this seems necessary would go too far.

The manual (boring) way to insert id's I know: I look for the smart way.

To insert fix id's with S&R to headings leads to Check book/ Error: Dublicate id: The id xyz is present on more than one element in Inhalt.html. This is not allowed.
chaot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:43 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaot View Post
The manual (boring) way to insert id's I know: I look for the smart way.
The smart way is to use a word processor instead of an EPUB editor for this.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2017, 12:01 PM   #3
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum
chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.

OK. To follow your advice means to me a delay to complete the books (6 items, 6000 regular pages) for days or weeks. But that's not the problem.

Since I allow myself the question: Does a text editor generate the ID numbers? That's the work of a random generator (calibre got one, but isn't usable here, or?).
Since LibreOffice and Word are similar, even in case you use latter, please explain the procedure (in few words).
Old 01-27-2017, 12:16 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
In most ePub, you don't need an ID for ToC headers because most ToC headers are th start of a new file. You only need an ID if your ToC entry is jumping somplace other than the start of a file.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 02:20 PM   #5
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum

Click image for larger version

Name:	II. Bar.png
Views:	254
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	154544
Click on II. Bar opens the chapter concerned.

Name:	II. Bar (ToC).png
Views:	263
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	154545
II. Bar (ToC)

Click on Click image for larger version

Name:	TOC.png
Views:	622
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	154547 brings me back, due to the ID 'qwerty' (a single case for illustration).

How I insert in the list Inhalt (means Content or ToC) for hundreds of items (headings) different ID's? Inserting identical ID's with S&R is easy, but no possibility (produce error message Dublicate id).

By the way: How is to manage the size of images (in mobileread forum)?

Last edited by chaot; 01-27-2017 at 02:30 PM.
Advert
Old 01-27-2017, 02:33 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
IIRC the TOC tool will generate additional anchors (if needed) when using H# tags as markers. (I prefer the per file method, so the filename is sufficient)

Now if you are desiring an active jump to HTML TOC, you will need to code that

by using existing content as the key, you can calculate targets with REGEX

You can always pad numeric only (42) values with an alpha prefix (LUE42) to keep things valid
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 02:49 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know some Readers, pulling up the ToC is slower bcause of the ID tags. So if you don't 100% need any ID tag in the ToC, do not put it in. Only put in the ID tags you 100% need.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:20 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
IIRC the TOC tool will generate additional anchors (if needed) when using H# tags as markers. (I prefer the per file method, so the filename is sufficient)

Now if you are desiring an active jump to HTML TOC, you will need to code that

by using existing content as the key, you can calculate targets with REGEX

You can always pad numeric only (42) values with an alpha prefix (LUE42) to keep things valid
Well, if he wants in inline ToC, he should actually state that. I could only guess that is what he wants. And if an inline ToC is what he wants, he probably should just use the built in tool to generate it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 07:19 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I find when chapter headers are made into links, it looks to me like whoever made the eBook has no clue how to make a good looking eBook. It's awful.

Kindles have an easy way to get to the ToC and ePub have an eay way to get to the NCX ToC. So really, there is no need for the cchapter headers to be links.

You don't need chapter headers to be links and if you are jumping to the beginning of the file, you don't need or want an ID. ID's can slow the ToC down if you have IDs you do not need. Please post that you understand this.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:48 PM   #10
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum

I still sort out what I know and what I have to ask. It is the sheer amount of headlines (about 1500 or more, and they are all HEADLINES) that makes me despair. You lose control very quickly.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:14 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I still sort out what I know and what I have to ask. It is the sheer amount of headlines (about 1500 or more, and they are all HEADLINES) that makes me despair. You lose control very quickly.
Are these all places you can start a new flow (XML file)? If so, you won't need any IDs. If they are not, used IDs where you need to and do not use an ID where you don't (the start of a new flow).
Old 01-31-2017, 07:12 AM   #12
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Well, if he wants in inline ToC, he should actually state that. I could only guess that is what he wants. And if an inline ToC is what he wants, he probably should just use the built in tool to generate it.
Proper nomination of a matter seems to me particularly important here. So, the built in tool to generate a table of contents is the ToC, and there is a entry list in the File Browser, and there is a directory in the File Preview.

That would be my suggestion!

In these books the ToC is of less help, because of the sheer amount of headlines. The ToC, shown in my Tolino ereader includes about 80 pages, 8 entries per page. For navigation in the book (in the ereader) I need other instruments. I got an idea. You too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I practiced to generate anchor (ID's), a little detour, but works fine. Per file method with filename, do you mean so:
Code:
Instead of
<a href="xyz.html#uCZEvuprkBTfz9FrYC7Blz5">Title</a> 
to use
<a href="xyz.html#Title">Title</a>
Quote:
Now if you are desiring an active jump to HTML TOC, you will need to code that by using existing content as the key, you can calculate targets with REGEX
I think, I understand quite well what you mean. I thought yesterday about such a regex. Complicated thing! Once later, I will be able to formulate such one. (Just for fun, I mean!)
Quote:
??? LUE42??? (I googeled, found nothing.)

Last edited by chaot; 01-31-2017 at 07:17 AM.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:14 AM   #13
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum

Hi Jon! The book (together 6 books (Werke 1-6)) contains the entire work of a former journalist (Joseph Roth).

Name:	Inhalt_Book 2.png
Views:	293
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	154656
Inhalt Book 2

File Preview shows clickable titles of individual reports (each a few pages long). E.g. entries 1924 & Politische Lyrik are supra-titles (for ordering the stuff).
In File Browser the entries are arranged according to certain ordering characteristics (e.g., time units (years), political or geographic reference (and max 260 KB)(partly for my orientation while editing the book).

My initial idea, making also the titles of the individual chapters clickable back to the table of contents (Inhalt), I gave (partly) up. Because of the slowed down system if too many ID's, you mentioned, then also, because at the moment the implementation would still stress my skills.
Quote:
Are these all places you can start a new flow (XML file)? If so, you won't need any IDs.
I think, the image shows the answer.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I find when chapter headers are made into links, it looks to me like whoever made the eBook has no clue how to make a good looking eBook. It's awful.
It's possible to do that in a way unpossible to see it's a link (black, not underscored), you know!?

Last edited by chaot; 01-31-2017 at 07:36 AM.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:24 AM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
Quote:
??? LUE42??? (I googeled, found nothing.)
I believe the LUE was just an example of adding an alphabetic prefix to the number 42.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:42 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
EDIT: It's possible to do that in a way unpossible to see it's a link (black, not underscored), you know!?
Given that this is an ePub, there is a better solution than making headers into links. What you can do is put in a link for the internal ToC in the NCX. Then all you do is go to the external ToC and select the contents link and you'll be at the internal ToC. That is what would work best.