Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-06-2017, 05:29 PM   #1
Tlew
Tlew began at the beginning.

Device: Basic Kindle Touch
How to use Calibre to put books in collections

I would like to be able to add docs and books to collections in my unregistered, unjailbroken basic Kindle Touch. Before I deregistered the Kindle, I was able to long press a book or doc and choose "add to collections" or something similar, and then check the box for the collection I wanted. I only had about 5 collections. Now the collections options is greyed-out or doesn't appear (I forget which). I'd just like to be able to do in Calibre what I used to do on the Kindle, if possible.

I have used Calibre for as long as I've had the Kindle but only for converting formats and for reading on the PC (view option). I have spent about an hour using Calibre for Windows and reading this forum and Googling the subject without finding out how to do this. I have installed the "Kindle Collections" plugin.

I know the answer must be here somewhere, but I couldn't find it. I did find extremely complex directions that I couldn't follow. On Calibre I got stumped at every turn. For example, when I click "device," it shows a list of the current contents of the Kindle. When I right click a book in the list, and select "Kindle Collections," then "Create collections on the Kindle from Calibre," I get a popup message:

"No Calibre columns have been selected in Customization.Please set the Action to "Create" for the column(s) you want to use when automatically creating collections."

I can't find where to "set the action to Create."

Is there a *simple* way to do what I would like to do that I've missed? TIA.

To those of a suspicious nature:

I've read this forum for a long time, and I know a few people like to pounce on posters for doing something unusual that could be (but is not necessarily) illegal. I bought the Kindle at a major retailer. I didn't steal it. I do not read subversive tracts or obscene material. I have several reasons for de-registering. One is I no longer get "special offers." I sideload all content. The only feature I miss with the unregistered device is the ability to add a collection to a new item, and I don't really miss it all that much.
Tlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:36 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Without jailbreaking your Kindle, you cannot have Calibre manage your collections. You have to do it manually on the Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2017, 03:12 PM   #3
wakkaday
Groupie
wakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Oasis
on the oasis i have jb but colleciton dont work
wakkaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 05:12 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakkaday View Post
on the oasis i have jb but colleciton dont work
Do you have the collections manager plugin installed? I cannot say what to do on the Kindle side if you have to install something for this plugin to work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:35 PM   #5
wakkaday
Groupie
wakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Oasis
yeh i followed instructions . nevermind

all installed on calibre and jb on my kindle
wakkaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2017, 02:31 PM   #6
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Or, if kindle advertisments are the only complaint (and perhaps they are NOT the only problem), it only costs $20 to get them removed. Then you can re-register and use the built in collections from Amazon.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote