Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 12-09-2004, 04:48 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Sexy Xda II mini PPC Smartphone

UK-based O2 has unveiled its XDA II mini PDA phone, described as the world's smallest (with a size of a deck of playing cards). Powered by Microsoft Windows Mobile 2003 PocketPC Phone Edition Second Edition with a 416MHz Intel XScale PXA272 processor, the phone integrates tri-band GSM/GPRS, Bluetooth and a 1.3 megapixel camera. Wi-Fi is optionally available through a SDIO card slot.

Unlike most other smartphones, which run Microsoft Windows Mobile for Smartphones, the XDA II mini is a fully-functional Pocket PC with an integrated touchscreen, i.e. it functions as a fully working Pocket PC with mobile phone functionality.

In Europe, the same phone is sold rebranded as the T-Mobile MDA Compact.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:28 AM   #2
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
They must mean second smallest smartphone, right behind the Motorola V3 "Razor". The Razor has to be seen and held to believe. Its REALLY thin!

A deck of cards is larger than the Razor.. and not something I'd want in a phone anyway. I abhor flipphones.
Advert
Old 12-09-2004, 08:33 AM   #3
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Note that they intentionally referred to smallest "PDA phone", meaning a smartphone which at the same time runs a true PDA OS (Windows Mobile 2003 SE).
Old 12-09-2004, 08:46 AM   #4
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
Note that they intentionally referred to smallest "PDA phone", meaning a smartphone which at the same time runs a true PDA OS (Windows Mobile 2003 SE).
True true... it is this same "logic" that you see and hear in automotobile advertisements exclaiming:
"Voted #1 best in its class!"
When in fact, its the ONLY one in its class, because of some quirk that stops it from being included in any other class.

Interesting phone though, but not something I'd use, even if it were a non-flipphone.

I don't see any functional use in the Microsoft Windows that is included in many phones these days. Symbian blows Microsoft's version out of the water in both speed, functionality, and driver support for integrating with many external devices, than the current Microsoft version shipping on current "SmartPhone" devices.

To be a truly useful device, you should never know, or care, what OS the device is running, as long as it works. Do I care that my microwave is running an embedded version of Linux? (it does!) No. It does the jobs required of it. The same goes for my embedded routers and switches (also Linux).

I don't interact with the OS, unless something goes wrong and I have to fix it. If it just works, the OS should be completely transparent and anonymous.

The real reason people seem to care, is when it can't interface with their other devices and systems. It is at that point, that you realize certain protocols, file formats, or other layers are proprietary to one vendor or another's environment, and you have to "open the hood" to figure out how to make it work right.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:36 AM   #5
cheshire
Fence Sitter
cheshire began at the beginning.

Device: Asus P525
The XDA II Mini is slated to be released sometime mid December here... I can't wait to see how it feels in my hand.
Advert
Old 12-19-2004, 11:38 PM   #6
cheshire
Fence Sitter
cheshire began at the beginning.

Device: Asus P525
Wow, I got myself an early Christmas present and got the Mini.

I am currently still in a daze.