Notices

Old 12-25-2016, 03:16 PM   #1
KindleMeAndrey
Enthusiast
KindleMeAndrey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard
Connecting an external keyboard to Kindle 3

Greetings,

I have a Kindle Keyboard and would like to connect an external keyboard to it, replacing the build-in one. The idea is to have terminal running vim (or another text editor), so I can comfortably write on it.

The keyboard connector (on the bottom right of the picture below) seems like other netbook keyboard connectors I've seen and I was wondering if it would be possible to simply connect it in place of the build-in one.

[Image violates Posting Guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

Has anyone tried this?

Will kindle give enough juice?

Any thoughts and reflections?

Many thanks,
Andrey

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-25-2016 at 05:37 PM.
KindleMeAndrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 05:37 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moved to the Kindle Forum, where posts on the Kindle.....belong.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2016, 05:39 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines may be deleted.

It is every member's responsibility to read our Posting Guidelines and follow them.

Thanks.

[COLOR="Green"]
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 06:02 PM   #4
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleMeAndrey View Post
The keyboard connector (on the bottom right of the picture below) seems like other netbook keyboard connectors I've seen and I was wondering if it would be possible to simply connect it in place of the build-in one.
Welcome to Mobileread.

Re what Dr. Drib wrote, he is of course correct. Violating the image limit is a mistake even experienced posters here make, so don't feel bad about it

Regarding your question, the answer is no. There is more to it than just plugging in a micro USB keyboard. I myself do not have the needed expertise.

I still use my Kindle Keyboard a lot, but I'm an exception, so you may not get as much help with your question as you would have a few years ago.

I did find, on Google, this relevant older thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=162240

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 12-25-2016 at 06:27 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 02:38 PM   #5
KindleMeAndrey
Enthusiast

Thanks, Steve. Sorry for the extra large image. I'll repost a version less than 600x600 below.

What I meant about the keyboard was something different than a micro USB. In the picture below, you'll see there's the default kindle keyboard port on the bottom right. It's a 20-pin 0.5mm pitch adapter that can be connected into using this cable: https://www.amazon.com/0-5mm-Pitch-F.../dp/B016CVXWHS

What if instead of the standard kindle mini-keyboard we could plug in a keyboard commonly found in netbooks, bypassing kindle's own keyboard?

Dell Mini keyboard connector:

We would just need an adapter from whatever the netbook keyboard uses (24-pin 1mm pitch I believe) to the 20-pin 0.5mm:

The mapping of keys would probably be different, but with having root access on linux, the keys can be indentified with "xev" and remapped with "xmodmap".

What do you think?

Last edited by KindleMeAndrey; 12-26-2016 at 04:32 PM.
Advert
Old 12-26-2016, 07:18 PM   #6
KindleMeAndrey
Enthusiast

Frankenkindle uses this approach, albeit for a different purpose:

https://hackaday.com/2011/07/28/fran...ndle-keyboard/

Last edited by KindleMeAndrey; 12-27-2016 at 01:53 AM.