Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-22-2016, 11:21 AM   #1
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Looking for help with Dynamic DNS

Hello guys,

I'm looking for help completing the implementation of DDNS for my home computer. This is primarily to allow me access to my Calibre system when I'm away from home.

I've signed up with No-IP, created a host name, and all of that seems to be working. I can ping the host name and I get back the correct IP address. I set up port forwarding in my DSL router and it *appears* to be correct, but I'm still getting timeouts when I try to access Calibre using the host name -- it works just fine when I access it from a PC on my local LAN using the host address.

So, I'm looking for someone with a bit more knowledge of home networking, and in particular, setting up the right permissions in the network to allow external access.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:43 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The port forwarding needs to be forwarding port 8080 (I believe) to your internal calibre machine's IP. That's if you're connectng to calibre's built-in server. If you're trying to connect to calibre's wireless device service (like with the calibre companion app) then that's a different port.

Another process needs to occassionally test and update your No-IP hostname address (unless you have a static IP that never changes).

The No-IP hostname might not work from behind your own router. The public IP could be sending traffic through your router instead of directly to your local machine.

Try accessing it from outside your own network to determine for sure if it's "working," or not. If it is, then you may need to add your local calibre machine's IP to the hosts file of the machines that need to access it from your own network.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-22-2016 at 04:00 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2016, 03:57 PM   #3
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

> Try accessing it from outside your own network

Oh my gosh! That was it. I put my laptop onto the cellular network and got right into the Calibre Content Server. So it looks like I did everything just right. I do appreciate your help so much.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:06 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
> Try accessing it from outside your own network

Oh my gosh! That was it. I put my laptop onto the cellular network and got right into the Calibre Content Server. So it looks like I did everything just right. I do appreciate your help so much.
No problem. Good work!

If you need to connect to the content server from your own network, I recommend just using the internal ip address of the machine rather than the No-IP name or public ip.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:11 PM   #5
Hampshire Nanny
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
If you need to connect to the content server from your own network, I recommend just using the internal ip address of the machine rather than the No-IP name or public ip.
I've been using the IP address for ages within the house. Actually, I'm setting up VNC remote desktop, but testing with Calibre's Content Server was much easier.
Advert