Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-14-2016, 11:43 PM   #1
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
iOS 10.2 is released

iOS 10.2 introduces new features including the TV app (US Only), a new and unified experience for accessing your TV shows and movies across multiple video apps. Emoji have been beautifully redesigned to reveal even more detail and over 100 new emoji have been added including new faces, food, animals, sports, and professions. This update also includes stability improvements and bug fixes.
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1893?...S&locale=en_US

TV
  • Use Up Next to see the movies and shows you’re currently watching and pick up where you left off
  • Get recommendations for new movies and TV shows in Watch Now
  • Discover new apps and the latest iTunes releases in the Store
  • Access the Library for your iTunes purchases and rentals

Emoji
  • Beautifully redesigned emoji that reveal even more detail
  • Over 100 new emoji including new faces, food, animals, sports, and professions

Photos
  • Improves stabilization and delivers faster frame rate for Live Photos
  • Improves accuracy of groupings of similar photos of the same person in the People album
  • Fixes an issue where Memories might generate a memory from photos of screenshots, whiteboards or receipts
  • Fixes an issue where the camera would stay zoomed in after switching back from the Camera Roll on iPhone 7 Plus
  • Additional support for RAW digital cameras

• Adds new love and celebration full screen effects in Messages
  • Fixes an issue that sometimes prevented the keyboard from displaying in Messages

Music
  • Swipe up the Now Playing screen to more easily access Shuffle, Repeat and Up Next
  • Choose how to sort Playlists, Albums, and Songs in Library

News
  • Stories you’ve saved for later now appear in the new Saved section
  • The best paid stories from channels you subscribe to will now appear in a dedicated section in For You
  • It’s now easier than ever to get to the next story, just swipe left or tap Next Story while reading

Mail
  • Fixes an issue that caused the Move sheet to persist after filing a Mail message
  • Addresses an issue with long press activating copy and paste in Mail
  • Fixes an issue in which the wrong message would be selected after deleting a Mail conversation

Accessibility
  • Adds BraillePen14 support to VoiceOver
  • Fixes an issue where the braille table could switch unexpectedly with VoiceOver
  • Fixes an issue where sometimes Siri enhanced voices were unavailable to VoiceOver
  • Fixes an issue where VoiceOver users could not re-order items in lists
  • Fixes an issue where Switch Control was sometimes unable to delete Voicemails

Other improvements and fixes
  • Adds notification support for HomeKit accessories including window coverings, occupancy, motion, door/window, smoke, carbon monoxide, and water leak sensors
  • Adds notification support for HomeKit accessories when software updates are available to HomeKit accessories
  • Improves Bluetooth performance and connectivity with 3rd party accessories
  • Fixes an issue that could cause FaceTime participants to appear out of focus
  • Fixes an issue that could cause FaceTime calls to appear with incorrect aspect ratio and orientation
  • Fixes an issue that prevented some Visual Voicemail from completing playback
  • Fixes a Safari Reader issue that could cause articles to open as empty pages
  • Fixes an issue that could cause Safari to quit unexpectedly after marking an item as read in Reading List

For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website:
https://support.apple.com/HT201222

Last edited by AnemicOak; 12-14-2016 at 11:45 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:30 AM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
still waiting for Apple to rationalize iBooks on the mac and iBooks on iOS (i.e. how audiobooks are handled). Oh well.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2016, 09:59 AM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Improves Bluetooth performance and connectivity with 3rd party accessories
I sure hope this is true. BT has been fairly stable in most cases, but for some reason my iPhone has not been able to properly connect to my audio system in my 2015 Toyota RAV4. It connects as soon as I turn on the RAV4, but it places the phone off the hook and I cannot hang up. So I've had to deactivate the BT connection between the RAV4 and my iPhone 6 Plus. So no hands free use while driving. I'm not totally sure if this is an iOS 10 issue or something else, but it did start happening about the time I updated from iOS 9.x.x. However, I also got a Garmin vivosmart HR fitness watch about that time too and it stays connected to my iPhone as well. I know the vivosmart HR does mess up the connection with a BT headset I have, so it could be the vivosmart HR causing the issue. I tried disconnecting it though, and the issue with the RAV4 persists.

Last edited by jswinden; 12-15-2016 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:35 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I just hope it fixes the issue I've been having with my iPhone 6 where all of the sudden calls, texts & alarms are silent/vibrate only despite everything else having sound (no it's not on DND and yes the side switch is correctly set) and the only way to temporarily fix it is to reboot the phone (of course you usually don't know it's doing it until you miss a call).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:55 AM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I just hope it fixes the issue I've been having with my iPhone 6 where all of the sudden calls, texts & alarms are silent/vibrate only despite everything else having sound (no it's not on DND and yes the side switch is correctly set) and the only way to temporarily fix it is to reboot the phone (of course you usually don't know it's doing it until you miss a call).
I haven't experienced that issue, but I do have some sporadic email connection issues that recently started. I think some of the wide variety of calls/texts/email issues people are experiencing might be related to the various providers they use for phone and email services. Perhaps the providers are not quickly verifying their services work with the newest OS release. I know T-Mobile sent me a text telling me to hold off installing iOS 10 when it was first released because they had some issues with it. It took them a day or so to clear it up and then give the all clear to install it. And my email is through GoDaddy, and well, they just suck. My GoDaddy IMAP email is flaky in different ways on different devices and OSes! A friend told me yesterday that her iPhone 7 stopped sending notifications for texts and emails about a week ago, but her husbands is working fine. They have the same iPhone models and service providers.
Advert
Old 12-15-2016, 11:31 AM   #6
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
I'm a runner, I run 4 times a week, and BT connections work just bad on Garmin. I have tried a Vivosmart HR+, a Vivoactive HR a FR 230 and it's just hopeless whether with my iPad or my Android phone. I went back to my Polar M400 because of that. Less options, but solid data, solid FW and no connection problems. Just sayin' it could be Garmin's fault, not Apple's.....
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 02:45 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Well I had my iPhone forget the Garmin vivosmart HR BT connection. Then I installed iOS 10.2. Then I had to run some errands, so I reconnected the iPhone with my Toyota RAV4 audio system. That worked well. Then later I reconnected my vivosmart HR to my iPhone as well. The iPhone still connected to the RAV4 audio system without any issues. I had to run several errands, so the car got started and stopped a few more times, and each time the iPhone and RAV4 connected properly without issues, and the iPhone and Garmin are also connecting without issues. No clue as to what was the issue, but it does seem to be gone with iOS 10.2, though that could just be pure coincidence. I too had convinced myself this was a Garmin BT issue, but it just might be that iOS 10.2 is able to adjust and correct for that issue.

Last edited by jswinden; 12-15-2016 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:36 AM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Well I don't see how the TV app unifies anything. You still have to have all the other apps you already have and all it does is launch those apps. It does push iTunes movies but they were also available before.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 12:16 PM   #9
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Ahh! One of the joys of being an old-timer with a first generation iPad Mini: no updates available beyond 9.3.5!

My iPad Mini is my Marvin3 eReader, email reader (not email writer), and "Googler". It meets those needs 100%. For the heavy-duty stuff, I prefer using my desktop with a real keyboard, mouse and 21-inch monitor.

I've already warned my wife that her iPhone will start another round of pestering her to update.
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 12:42 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Well I don't see how the TV app unifies anything. You still have to have all the other apps you already have and all it does is launch those apps. It does push iTunes movies but they were also available before.

Dale
I have the previous model of AppleTV. It just sits collecting dust. I never saw much use for it unless you have a lot of Apple purchased movies. The apps were mostly BS with just a few shows available for free, and many of those were little more than 5 minute ads. Yuk. To be fair though, my FireTV would collect dust too if it wasn't for the Prime Video and Music content. Perhaps if Apple would figure out the content part of the equation they would have a better product. The only reason I would have to dust off the last gen AppleTV and plug it in would be to see my iPad screen on my TV screen, and I simply don't have a need to do that. On both the AppleTV and the FireTV there are apps available to allow you to watch TV shows you might have missed, but nearly every one of those apps requires a cable TV or satellite TV subscription. So what is the point in that?!? I just set my cable DVR to record them, or use On Demand. No need for another box to do that!
Old 12-16-2016, 12:46 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Well I had my iPhone forget the Garmin vivosmart HR BT connection. Then I installed iOS 10.2. Then I had to run some errands, so I reconnected the iPhone with my Toyota RAV4 audio system. That worked well. Then later I reconnected my vivosmart HR to my iPhone as well. The iPhone still connected to the RAV4 audio system without any issues. I had to run several errands, so the car got started and stopped a few more times, and each time the iPhone and RAV4 connected properly without issues, and the iPhone and Garmin are also connecting without issues. No clue as to what was the issue, but it does seem to be gone with iOS 10.2, though that could just be pure coincidence. I too had convinced myself this was a Garmin BT issue, but it just might be that iOS 10.2 is able to adjust and correct for that issue.
Ran more errands today and both the Garmin vivosmart HR fitness watch and the RAV4 audio/smartphone integration worked flawlessly without interfering with one another. Both connected to/with my iPhone 6 Plus running iOS 10.2. So it looks like Apple did squash some bugs and/or gremlins.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:25 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I have the previous model of AppleTV. It just sits collecting dust. I never saw much use for it unless you have a lot of Apple purchased movies. The apps were mostly BS with just a few shows available for free, and many of those were little more than 5 minute ads. Yuk. To be fair though, my FireTV would collect dust too if it wasn't for the Prime Video and Music content. Perhaps if Apple would figure out the content part of the equation they would have a better product. The only reason I would have to dust off the last gen AppleTV and plug it in would be to see my iPad screen on my TV screen, and I simply don't have a need to do that. On both the AppleTV and the FireTV there are apps available to allow you to watch TV shows you might have missed, but nearly every one of those apps requires a cable TV or satellite TV subscription. So what is the point in that?!? I just set my cable DVR to record them, or use On Demand. No need for another box to do that!
I too have an early Apple TV but this TV app is nothing like Apple TV.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:11 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I too have an early Apple TV but this TV app is nothing like Apple TV.

Dale
Same thing in my opinion, no decent content without cable TV subscription equals epic fail. It doesn't matter if it is an app or a device.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:31 AM   #14
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question: if for some reasons your apps don't work anymore after installing the update, can you go back to the previous OS without having any issues?
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:12 AM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
Question: if for some reasons your apps don't work anymore after installing the update, can you go back to the previous OS without having any issues?
Nope. The only exception is when the release is still brand new and has not yet been signed, or whatever they call it. For a brief time period I think Apple allows a new release to be removed and the old one restored via backup, but that window of opportunity usually doesn't last long. Once that window closes you are stuck with the new one, unless perhaps if you jailbreak, not sure about the jailbreaking. I not sure if that is just for major releases like iOS 9.x.x to 10.0.0 or whether they allow the window of restoration for 10.x to 10.y. Either way, you needed to have backed up prior to installing the new release and you needed to install the new release very soon after it was released. Personally I never install the new major releases for at least a month after they are released. That way I can follow the forums and identify potential issues. If there are too many issues, I wait even longer.