Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-14-2016, 10:02 PM   #1
Trane
Groupie
Trane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: android tablet
Page Break vs Chapter Split

I understand about inserting a split marker before h1 then executing the command in Sigil to split the chapters... and it generates separate HTML pages for each split marker.

If, after I do that, I want a page break at certain points can I insert a split marker to achieve that, then just not issue the Split at Markers command anymore? IOW, I don't want more HTML pages generated... I just want page breaks at certain points for reading ease, to create a little break and white space so the reader has to turn the page to get to the next section.

Thanks!
Trane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:19 AM   #2
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane View Post
IOW, I don't want more HTML pages generated... I just want page breaks at certain points for reading ease, to create a little break and white space so the reader has to turn the page to get to the next section.
All you would have to do is create a class and give it the "page-break-before: always" property.

Something like this:

Code:
<p class="newsection">Joey walked off into the jungle.</p>
and this CSS:

Code:
p.newsection {
	page-break-before: always;
}
But keep in mind that not all ereaders respect this property, so it might not work on all reading devices.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2016, 04:54 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
All you would have to do is create a class and give it the "page-break-before: always" property.
The OP could also simply assign this property to the default Sigil page-break hr tag:

Code:
hr.sigil_split_marker {
    visibility: hidden;
    page-break-before: always !important;
}
This'll work with ADE 1.7.2 and higher, but many free apps won't honor this style. (I couldn't use display: none, because it doesn't work with the hr tag in ADE.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:12 PM   #4
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
IOW, I don't want more HTML pages generated...
Yes you do! The method for reliably getting a page break on all reading devices is to start a new HTML file. This doesn't imply a new chapter heading or anything. Just a page break.

This may not be a good idea though. You'll be surprised how often it will result in an ugly orphaned line or couple of lines as your text flows in to various screen sizes, in the user's choice of font size. White Space is not as useful a tool in an eBook as on the printed page.

Last edited by exaltedwombat; 12-15-2016 at 01:17 PM.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:12 PM   #5
Trane
Groupie
Trane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Thank you both for your answers. They were both very helpful.
Advert
Old 12-15-2016, 01:15 PM   #6
Trane
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
Yes you do! The method for reliably getting a page break on all reading devices is to start a new HTML file. This doesn't imply a new chapter heading or anything. Just a page break.
The reason I don't want more HTML pages is b/c it's a long book and already have over 64 HTML pages when split at Chapter h1 headings. Plus it's consistent to place them at h1 and rename all the files after the chapters so I can navigate through later if I need to to look for something. I prefer not to also have subchapter HTML files. Just a personal preference for my own process.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:19 PM   #7
Trane
Groupie

Speaking of the HTML files, when I rename them in Sigil to the chapter titles, will Sigil still keep them in order and not alphabetize them... and/or do I need to keep the number designation at the end of the filename for Sigil?

(I am not splitting until the very end as it's easier to work with a single file at this point, but I do have the split markers in.)

Last edited by Trane; 12-15-2016 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:29 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Renaming html files won't cause them to be reordered in Sigil's Book Browser. And as long as the html flename is absolutely unique for the epub, there doesn't have to be a number suffix (at the end) at all if you don't want one.

A lot of people rename en masse and Sigil will automatically advance the number pattern (right-click on multiple selected files and select Rename. You can then choose a "starting point" for the mass rename), but there's no compelling reason that you HAVE to use numbers. "chapter_one.xhtml" works as well as "Chap0001.xhtml".

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-15-2016 at 01:34 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:34 PM   #9
Trane
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Renaming html files won't cause them to be reordered in Sigil's Book Browser. And as long as the html flename is absolutely unique for the epub, there doesn't have to be a number suffix (at the end) at all if you don't want one. A lot of people rename en masse and Sigil will automatically advance the number pattern (right-click on multiple selected files and select Rename. You can then choose a "starting point" for the mass rename), but there's no compelling reason that you HAVE to use numbers. "chapter_one.xhtml" works as well as "Chap0001.xhtml".
WONDERFUL! Thanks so much!
Old 12-15-2016, 01:41 PM   #10
Trane
Groupie

Referring to my wanting to put a page break in certain places:

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
This may not be a good idea though. You'll be surprised how often it will result in an ugly orphaned line or couple of lines as your text flows in to various screen sizes, in the user's choice of font size. White Space is not as useful a tool in an eBook as on the printed page.
Understood. The page breaks I would put in would be at a few sub-chapter headings, not randomly within text. The book is technical and there are one or two longer chapters. A page break at a sub-chapter would create a small break for the reader. A sort of mental period to take a breath and absorb while turning the page to see the next section.

In the end I may resort to just letting the book split there and end up with a few sub-chapter HTML files, but it's my nature to be consistent as in most cases that serves better in the long run for various and sometimes unforeseen or unanticipated reasons. Streamline is good.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:44 PM   #11
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15/11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
(I am not splitting until the very end as it's easier to work with a single file at this point, but I do have the split markers in.)
I have found that working with a single large file in Sigil significantly slows down it's processes... especially when switching between pages or performing regex functions. I'm not sure what causes it to slow down...perhaps the requirement to keep so much in it's 'active' memory but it is quite significant. I find the search/replace/regex functionally works much better just by selecting "all html files" on several, smaller, files instead of "current file" on a single, large, file.

Cheers,
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:49 PM   #12
Trane
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
A lot of people rename en masse and Sigil will automatically advance the number pattern (right-click on multiple selected files and select Rename. You can then choose a "starting point" for the mass rename), but there's no compelling reason that you HAVE to use numbers. "chapter_one.xhtml" works as well as "Chap0001.xhtml".
Good to know! BTW, when I did split the book (as a trial) it renamed them all .html not .xhtml ? Of course the original file is .html. I was considering perhaps putting HTML5 content in. Can I just have Sigil convert to .xhtml or ...?
Old 12-15-2016, 01:54 PM   #13
Trane
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I have found that working with a single large file in Sigil significantly slows down it's processes... especially when switching between pages or performing regex functions. I'm not sure what causes it to slow down...perhaps the requirement to keep so much in it's 'active' memory but it is quite significant. I find the search/replace/regex functionally works much better just by selecting "all html files" on several, smaller, files instead of "current file" on a single, large, file.

Cheers,
Mhm. That's interesting. What I love about Sigil is that it's so fast. The changes (at least so far what I've been doing) are instant, and I'm working on a mid-class 8yr old laptop. I am also doing most of the work in Book mode.

I first tried Dreamweaver and hated it. The UI is so small you can't see where or what any of the tools are, and the Preview mode (equal to Book mode in Sigil) is unbearably slow. Plus it crashed frequently. After fooling with it for a day, I gave it up along with the headache it gave me.

I had installed Sigil a few yrs back but hadn't used it yet. When I tried it I was so impressed! So responsive, easy to navigate and can even edit in Preview without any lag.

But that's a great tip about using the Find command to get where you need to go when the files are split. I wouldn't have thought of that. Sharp as a bunny, quick as a tack.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:56 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You are better to split the HTML files because some popular Reading software (such as Marvin) do not respect pagebreak but you have no issues with split HTML.

I did report the issue with Marvin (both version 2.x and 3.x have this bug) and it's not been fixed in either version.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-15-2016 at 01:59 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:58 PM   #15
Trane
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You are better to split the HTML files because some popular Reading software (such as Marvin) do not respect pagebreak but you have no issues with split HTML.
Thanks much. Yes, that's the impression I got from the previous replies as well. Looks like the only sure bet for all readers is a split and separate HTML file.