Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-04-2016, 02:10 PM   #1
Crayak
Crayak began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is it possible to change the progress indicator on a current gen Kindle?

Is it possible to change the progress indicator on a jailbroken current gen Kindle?

Instead of the time remaining indicator I'd like to have a FBReader-style bar with chapter marks.

Is this possible (it worked on the KT), and if so how?

Edit:
>Which model?
Don't most of the current gen Kindles run the same firmware?
Let's say the Voyage or Oasis for sake of example.

Last edited by Crayak; 11-04-2016 at 04:49 PM.
Crayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 02:32 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Which model?
There are five 'current' Kindle models, six if you are in Japan.

PS: Fix your information box please, none of the Kindle models have the nickname: "none" here.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2016, 05:49 PM   #3
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1
@knc1: "let's say the Voyage or Oasis for sake of example." signals to me that OP currently doesn't own a Kindle and is considering possibility of buying one but first he's inquiring if jailbroken Kindles can have something that he wants (bottom progress bar with chapter marks, like Kindles had up until Kindle Touch [so Kindle 2, 3 & 4] & Touch could have it added on early firmware (5.1 ??) via JBPatch hack).
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:52 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crayak View Post
Is it possible to change the progress indicator on a jailbroken current gen Kindle?

Instead of the time remaining indicator I'd like to have a FBReader-style bar with chapter marks.

Is this possible (it worked on the KT), and if so how?

Edit:
>Which model?
Don't most of the current gen Kindles run the same firmware?
Let's say the Voyage or Oasis for sake of example.
Yes and no.
There is a release of firmware 5.8.5 for these devices, all with the same version number, but different build numbers.

And with each build, the internal obfuscation changes.

Which in turn means that anything which touches the internal firmware is specific for all of Device, Version, and Build.

The only answer I can give you is:
Maybe.

Even if you told me now which model you intend to purchase, the best I can do is: Maybe.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:20 AM   #5
elbioleg
elbioleg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I have the same question/request, but I am going to provide more info: is it possible to add some kind of "chapter progress" (dots, bars, whatever, like the old kindles) in a jailbroken paperwhite 2?

I bet there is a lot of people who miss the old bar with dots while reading.
elbioleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2017, 06:04 PM   #6
elbioleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbioleg View Post
I have the same question/request, but I am going to provide more info: is it possible to add some kind of "chapter progress" (dots, bars, whatever, like the old kindles) in a jailbroken paperwhite 2?

I bet there is a lot of people who miss the old bar with dots while reading.
Bumping this after some months​, maybe someone knows if it is possible to install the old fashioned dotted reading progress bar in a KP2, instead (or plus) the remaining time.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:52 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Bumping this after some months​, maybe someone knows if it is possible to install the old fashioned dotted reading progress bar in a KP2, instead (or plus) the remaining time.
My answer remains the same -
Even if someone can do it, it will be terrible maintenance headache at a time when there is no one available to do the already required maintenance.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:54 AM   #8
elbioleg

Thank you for answering again
Old 04-04-2017, 09:31 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Thank you for answering again
Recently someone asked here about having a "blank" choice for the left side of the bottom bar (it is a separate area from the general display area).
We told that person to just cover up that area of the screen and pretend nothing was shown under the tape.

This would add another choice to that left side of the bottom panel, chapter dots.

Let see, it is now (in kt3-5.8.5):
*) time in book
*) blank
*) location
*) page
*) time in chapter

In PW3-5.6.1.1:
*) time in chapter
*) time in book
*) blank
*) location
*) blank

Hmm...
Looks like I should have just told the person who wanted "blank" to install an earlier firmware version.

- - - -

Maintain things here?
I can't even keep up with what changed version to version.

Last edited by knc1; 04-04-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:56 AM   #10
elbioleg

Thank you again.

I understand it would be a tough and maybe ungrateful work to do (and to maintain!). As for me, I just hope Amazon will someday allow us to have this feature again... my Kingdom for a review of the old buttoned Kindle 4 but just with more resolution and light!