Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-04-2016, 12:18 PM   #1
Oldgeeza
Oldgeeza began at the beginning.

Device: kindle PaperWhite, Ipad, Iphone
Reading progress

I have a Kindle Oasis and the reading progress is set on page number out of the blue it will change to time left in chapter of it's own accord. Can go for weeks between it happening and never the same point in the chapter.
Oldgeeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:23 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Are you sure you aren't accidentally bumping it?
That is easy to do.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2016, 02:40 PM   #3
Bob B
Connoisseur
Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I have had the same thing happen on a Paperwhite. Not often, but it happens.

My finger isn't really on that area of the screen so doubtful I am accidentally hitting it. With how I hold my Kindle, only my thumbs touch the screen and are located at mid height for turning pages.
Bob B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 05:04 PM   #4
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have 3 Paperwhites and a Voyage and they all do that now and then. Not often, but it happens. I've never been sure if I did it accidentally or if it's just messing with me.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 05:57 PM   #5
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Since you don't select what you want to have displayed there, but instead merely click to cycle through the choices ... it is quite easy to bump the field.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2016, 07:18 PM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I've had it happen while holding my kindle in my left hand. I've never had it happen while holding it in my right hand. So it must be an accidental touch, even though I was not aware of touching the screen at all.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 10:26 AM   #7
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
I think my Oasis is possessed.

From the beginning I’ve had the problems of it changing the reading progress setting randomly while I’m reading and displaying error messages about the cover being incorrectly attached, unauthorized, or missing. Both of those could possibly be user error so I just reset the reading progress and reseat the cover as needed and carry on.

Lately though, it’s been turning pages and/or rapidly and repeatedly refreshing the screen by itself. It seems to only happen when I’ve been reading for quite a while so I’ve wondered if it might be heat related somehow. When it starts acting up I can set it down and it will sometimes continue flashing for a while even if I don’t touch it. I can also sometimes cause it to do the same thing if I press on part of the bezel (being careful to not touch the screen); looking at it with the wide bezel on the right it’s the lower third of the wide side of the bezel that has the problem. It doesn’t happen often, so far at least, so I’ll just keep it for now. It has the best screen of any ereader I’ve had so I’d rather not take a chance on a replacement unless it gets really bad.

ETA: I also get occasional screen freezes requiring a restart. I've almost never had that happen with any of my other ereaders.

Last edited by disconnected; 11-13-2016 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Add last paragraph
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 05:56 PM   #8
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I'd probably take that whole description to Amazon Customer Support. That doesn't sound good.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 07:38 PM   #9
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Agreed. The only one of those possessed symptoms which is routine is the messing-up of reading progress: usually it either repeatedly halves itself into uselessness or suddenly snaps down to "oh yes of course you can read these 400 pages in three minutes". I find myself having to do a ;ReadingTimeReset every hundred pages or so.

The rest of those symptoms sound like actual device faults rather than just a known crappiness in the software.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 04:07 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
Agreed. The only one of those possessed symptoms which is routine is the messing-up of reading progress: usually it either repeatedly halves itself into uselessness or suddenly snaps down to "oh yes of course you can read these 400 pages in three minutes". I find myself having to do a ;ReadingTimeReset every hundred pages or so.
That's odd. Reading time works absolutely fine for me. I can't recall it ever giving a figure I wouldn't regard as reasonable.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:09 AM   #11
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's odd. Reading time works absolutely fine for me. I can't recall it ever giving a figure I wouldn't regard as reasonable.
What's oddest is that it happens completely without warning. I could understand it, a bit, if it went mad only after I'd paged frantically back in the book or something, but I can be sitting there reading a page and *not even changing pages*, 200 pages into a 500-page book, and suddenly flick! 3m to finish this book. I don't think so.

;ReadingTimeReset is more or less permanently in my search history as a result. If they can't fix this bug (and apparently they can't, since it's been there for as long as the reading-time feature has existed), they should at least make ;ReadingTimeReset into a menu option or something.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:06 AM   #12
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It is this way for me also. I wonder if the problem NullNix is having is related to the books themselves.

The books on my kindle are almost all Amazon purchases and library loans fulfilled by Amazon. I occasionally have a personal document, created using kindlegen and delivered via Amazon's cloud. I wonder whether books created or sideloaded in other ways might be more prone to problems of this sort.

Another possibility is something messing with the clock on the kindle.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:46 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
It is this way for me also. I wonder if the problem NullNix is having is related to the books themselves.

The books on my kindle are almost all Amazon purchases and library loans fulfilled by Amazon. I occasionally have a personal document, created using kindlegen and delivered via Amazon's cloud. I wonder whether books created or sideloaded in other ways might be more prone to problems of this sort.
Every one of the books on my Kindles is sideloaded, so I don't think that can be the problem.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:07 AM   #14
NullNix
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post

Another possibility is something messing with the clock on the kindle.
I've seen it with a wide variety of Amazon-purchased KFX, KF8, locally-generated kindlegenned joint mobis and calibre-created books, so I don't think the books can be at fault.

(And if the clock is being messed with while I'm offline and not connected to anything resembling NTP, I don't see how. The visible time in the status line at the top does not change.)

It reeks of a simple bug to me, but if not everyone is seeing it I do have an explanation for why Amazon hasn't crushed it yet. Perhaps it's related to subtleties of my page-turning reading habits or something...
Old 11-18-2016, 07:42 AM   #15
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1
I had exactly the same experience with both PW1 and PW3. Having to do / type reset thing (IIRC none of those "switches" beginning with ; go into search history?) multiple times per book was annoying so I'm not using. Reading Time feature anymore. Number of pages (Calibre generated, number of characters based) is much more reliable.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote