Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-01-2016, 07:36 AM   #1
Airnoth
Airnoth began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Importing text with many quotes

Hi,
I'm sorry for the level of my English. I'm using this forum because since some months I'm trying to create optimal ebooks (*.epub and *.mobi) using Sigil.

The results are very good (no errors, perfect visualization in all the previews and also on my Kindle) but the process is very (too) long because I'm working on a word file (*.docx) with a lot of italic words (it's a magazine with so many quotes!). I have to paste un-formatted text on Sigil and format every single word/phrase with ctrl+i. The result is perfect, the epub file is very clean and I have no problem. But...

Is there a way to do the same thing without spending hours and hours on each article? Is there a way to mantain the "pre-formatted text" (only italic!) and do not corrupt the code?

Thank you so much for your help!

Airnoth
Airnoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:05 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Look into the various docx to html/epub exporters/importers.

Toxaris has his Word add in (among other valuable tools).

Doitsu has an OpenOffice import plugin

And I've got my own docx import plugin.

All have a learning curve, but something there should get you going.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2016, 08:59 AM   #3
Airnoth
Airnoth began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Look into the various docx to html/epub exporters/importers.

Toxaris has his Word add in (among other valuable tools).

Doitsu has an OpenOffice import plugin

And I've got my own docx import plugin.

All have a learning curve, but something there should get you going.
Thank you so much!
I'm trying your plugin and it's working fine!
Airnoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:33 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Keep in mind that my docx plugin will only retain italics and bolding around words that are specified directly as italicized words. It should suffice for very simplistic docx documents. But if italics or bolding are being applied via Word (or OpenOffice) styles, then those italics will be lost without a style map to guide the plugin.

If 100% accuracy and crystal-clean html are important to you, you really should give Toxaris's Word add in a look.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:01 AM   #5
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Or you can drop the docx into Calibre and use its EPUB conversion. The code it produces isn't as minimalist as from some other methods, but give it clean input and it won't be annoyingly bloated.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2016, 10:00 PM   #6
Leverpullr
Leverpullr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle/generic android tablet
I work extensively in LibreOffice, and apply styles or italics as needed then ->use OPENOffice extension "Writer2xhtml" to export to EPUB -> Open epub in Sigil for final clean-up+metadata additions, etc. I find that it allows me to retain all special formatting with no problems at all.

Last edited by Leverpullr; 09-12-2016 at 10:02 PM.
Leverpullr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:01 PM   #7
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leverpullr View Post
I work extensively in LibreOffice, and apply styles or italics as needed then ->use OPENOffice extension "Writer2xhtml" to export to EPUB -> Open epub in Sigil for final clean-up+metadata additions, etc. I find that it allows me to retain all special formatting with no problems at all.
So do I. You might want to look into Doitsu's sigil plugin (mentioned in post #2 above) for importing .odt files using the stand-alone writer2latex.jar java app that comes with the Writer2latex package, instead of the libreoffice extension. You can supply customized configuration files and custom CSS file, and you don't have to worry that an update of LO will break the writer2xhtml extension.

Albert
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:20 AM   #8
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airnoth View Post
Hi,
I have to paste un-formatted text on Sigil and format every single word/phrase with ctrl+i.
Airnoth
You can paste the doc or docx file into Word2CleanHtml dot com online. It does indeed clean the Word formatting while retaining my formatting.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote