Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 08-27-2016, 04:23 AM   #1
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Calibre Companion keeps disconnecting from Calibre when trying to sync

Hi

I have loaded the Calibre Companion app on a basic Amazon Fire. I am trying to load all my books as TXT files for the metadata, to keep as a reference when away from home. I have over 4500 files to transfer. I was able to get around 2500 transferred yesterday.

Today Calibre Companion is connecting as a wireless device but then disconnecting the moment I try to sync. The error message is 'Calibre Cannot Write The Book File'. In details it says:-

On Windows 7 PC

Device closed the network connection

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 87, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 584, in _upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\smart_device_app\driver.p y", line 50, in _synchronizer
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\smart_device_app\driver.p y", line 1452, in upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\smart_device_app\driver.p y", line 675, in _put_file
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\smart_device_app\driver.p y", line 50, in _synchronizer
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\smart_device_app\driver.p y", line 621, in _call_client
ControlError: Device closed the network connection

On a MAC

Device closed the network connection

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 87, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 584, in _upload_books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/smart_device_app/driver.py", line 50, in _synchronizer
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/smart_device_app/driver.py", line 1452, in upload_books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/smart_device_app/driver.py", line 675, in _put_file
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/smart_device_app/driver.py", line 50, in _synchronizer
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/smart_device_app/driver.py", line 613, in _call_client
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/smart_device_app/driver.py", line 649, in _receive_from_client
ControlError: Device closed the network connection

Can anyone shed any light or what is going on please?

Calibre is in Dropbox and both the PC and MAC are running version 2.65.1

Last edited by Josieb1; 08-27-2016 at 04:35 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:05 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
My guess is that there is a problem writing on the device. Does CC say anything when it disconnects? Make sure that the fire is not out of "disk" space.

If you send me a CC debug log (instructions are here, please erase the multipie.co.uk address) I might be able to say more about what is going on.

Are you sure that the mac and pc are running the same version of calibre? I would expect the line numbers in the error message to be the same.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2016, 07:42 AM   #3
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
My guess is that there is a problem writing on the device. Does CC say anything when it disconnects? Make sure that the fire is not out of "disk" space.

If you send me a CC debug log (instructions are here, please erase the multipie.co.uk address) I might be able to say more about what is going on.

Are you sure that the mac and pc are running the same version of calibre? I would expect the line numbers in the error message to be the same.
Hi Chaley, thanks for your reply. The SD card is a 64GB and it's almost empty. Also sorry I think one of the PC/Mac may have been on 2.64, not 2.65.1. I'm out now so will try the debug when I get home.

I did google the problem and found another mobileread thread where the person getting the issue rebooted the SD card and that fixed the problem. I might try that first, along with deleting the CC app and redownloading. I have to move all the apps to the main storage first as I have set the fire up to download direct to the SD card so it might be a day before I send the log. If I get it working I'll post here. The Fire is a basic device so if I can't get CC to work properly it's not a big deal.

Last edited by Josieb1; 08-27-2016 at 07:45 AM.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:02 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Another possibility, since you are using an SD card. SD cards have a limit to the number of files that can be stored in one directory. When you hit the limit depends on the length of the file names. I would be surprised if you hit the limit with only 2500 files, but it could happen.

Also, SD cards get *very very* slow when a lot of files are in a directory. See the FAQ I have added a lot of books on an SD card and now downloading books takes forever. What do I do? for more information.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:14 PM   #5
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks again Chaley for your help and the info.

On my Fire I moved all the apps back to the internal memory, then uninstalled calibre companion and unmounted the SD card. I then redownloaded calibre companion and connected the app to my MAC. This time i moved all the 4500 txt files in small batches and it all worked smoothly only taking about half an hour. Hopefully i won't hit the problem again as going forwards its just adding new purchases.

I'll do the same thing again if i get issues in the future. Thanks again for your help.
Advert