Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-11-2016, 09:22 PM   #1
enigma2k
enigma2k began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Kindle Preview mobi doesn't show cover if sent via email

Hi,

If I convert an epub to mobi using Kindle Preview and then email the mobi to my Kindle, it won't show up the cover. If I don't email the mobi to my Kindle and instead transfer it using USB it will also show the cover, but then Whispersync won't work.

If I use Calibre it will show the cover even if I send it via email.

The problem with Calibre (using "both" mobi option), however, is that the converted mobi isn't as nicely formatted as it is the case with Kindle Preview.

Is it possible to convert with Kindle Preview and still have the cover and Whispersync available?
enigma2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:54 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The problem is that there is a longstanding bug in Amazon's Personal Documents Service.

Cover thumbnails for books that have a valid ASIN (which includes the special Personal Documents ASINs) will not try to extract cover thumbnails from inside the book. Only books that are both cdetype=PDOC and sideloaded will get their cover thumbnails extracted from the book.

calibre works around this problem when transferring via USB by copying over the thumbnail as well, when necessary.

Amazon's Personal Documents Service will respond with the cover thumbnail of books you emailed to your Kindle... but only for the MOBI format.
When sending dual-MOBI (KindleGen/Kindle Previewer always creates dual-MOBI, and calibre has an option to do so using the "both" mobi option), Amazon will send the AZW3 component to supported devices and use the MOBI component for legacy devices (K1/K2/DXG/non-updated-K3).

Solution: decide which is more important, getting AZW3 (by sending dual-MOBI instead of old MOBI) or getting cover thumbnails.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2016, 03:06 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Or do what I do, which is to set your library to list view.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:30 AM   #4
oblox
Zealot
oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (7th Gen)
Or there is a tool on this forum somewhere someone made called

ExtractCoverThumbs_0.7.2-win

Run this with your kindle connected and itll add in the covers for your send-to-email Pdocs.
oblox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:36 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by oblox View Post
Or there is a tool on this forum somewhere someone made called

ExtractCoverThumbs_0.7.2-win

Run this with your kindle connected and itll add in the covers for your send-to-email Pdocs.
Since the Kindle is having to be plugged in anyway, the best solution is to use Calibre to side load KF8 (AZW3) to the Kindle and forget about Mobi. Convert the ePub to KF8, send to the Kindle and problem solved and a better conversion as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2016, 06:14 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Since the Kindle is having to be plugged in anyway, the best solution is to use Calibre to side load KF8 (AZW3) to the Kindle and forget about Mobi. Convert the ePub to KF8, send to the Kindle and problem solved and a better conversion as well.
But doesn't get you synchronisation, which is the big advantage of sending the book to Amazon.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:51 AM   #7
enigma2k

Quote:
Is there a difference between selecting AZW3 in Calibre and selecting
Mobi-new/both ?

For me the output formatting is still better with Kindle Preview than it is with Calibre AZW3 output.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:50 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Both gives you a much larger file and thus, take more space on your Kindle.

I've converted ePub to KF8 and it works no problem. Plus, I can embed the font wanted very easily that way. I also use the Calibre eBook editor to set negative margins to reduce the wide left/right margins.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:04 PM   #9
enigma2k

Quote:

I've converted ePub to KF8 and it works no problem. Plus, I can embed the font wanted very easily that way. I also use the Calibre eBook editor to set negative margins to reduce the wide left/right margins.
But "mobi new" and AZW3 as output is the same, isn't it?

I don't find KF8 as output in calibre so I assume by KF8 you also mean AZW3 as output, correct?
Old 08-12-2016, 02:24 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma2k View Post
But "mobi new" and AZW3 as output is the same, isn't it?

I don't find KF8 as output in calibre so I assume by KF8 you also mean AZW3 as output, correct?
Yes, "Mobi New" is the same as AZW3.

KF8 is the correct name of the file format ("Kindle Format 8"). AZW3 is simply the file extension.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:33 PM   #11
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:

(emphasis mine)

Hmmm...I'm pretty sure that when you send a dual mobi file to the Kindle cloud, ONLY the format that fits the device is sent to the device, so it takes up no more space on the Kindle than if you had just created a KF8 and loaded it using a USB cable.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:42 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
(emphasis mine)

Hmmm...I'm pretty sure that when you send a dual mobi file to the Kindle cloud, ONLY the format that fits the device is sent to the device, so it takes up no more space on the Kindle than if you had just created a KF8 and loaded it using a USB cable.

Shari
Absolutely correct.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:10 PM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Or do what I do, which is to set your library to list view.
Answering that one should stop desiring a requested feature, is not a valid workaround or solution. It is evading the question.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:27 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Answering that one should stop desiring a requested feature, is not a valid workaround or solution. It is evading the question.
No, it's evading the problem, which of course may or may not appear desirable to the OP.