Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-28-2016, 06:32 AM   #1
marp68
Addict
marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
save also translation together with highlighted word?

I know the different methods of how to save/fetch/backup/export markups/annotations from device. For example the method getting a file with different columns for the markup and annotations.

I mainly use the annotations when reading Spanish books and I like to mark words (with context) that I don't understand and look up in the included dictionary. Both in the Sp-Sp and the Sp-En. The problem is that after finishing the book I don't remember the translation when looking at the saved markup.

Wouldn't it be a nice possibility to, in the exported file with the markued word/phrase, be able to include the translation information about a specific word that was looked up while reading the book. In this way it would be easy to, after finishing the book, repeat and learn from the list of both source word within context and the related translation of the specifc word.

One solution could be that when looking up a word, one can also choose to add the translation as a annotation to looked up and highlighted word. And that it also stores the whole phrase in which the lookuped word exists.

What do you think? Would it be possible to write a code for this kind of feature for the device?

Last edited by marp68; 05-28-2016 at 06:34 AM.
marp68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:52 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Sorry, there is no way to do that.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2016, 08:23 AM   #3
marp68
Addict
marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

OKej, thanks.

Another thought, is the translation from the dictionary that is showed automatically in the book page when marking a word stored temporarily by the kobo software in some sort of table? If so, wouldn't it be possible to fetch that text and copy it to annotation field?

Forgive me my questions. Several years ago I worked at a company that develops a business system. So even though I'm not a programmer and know the hows exactly, I know now much more how it works and that a lot of things may be done. I worked with translation/localization management and had to plan for good extraction and implementation routines, since all visible end user text in in the software is written within the technical developing environment. Even made some easy tasks with SQL Query Analyzer. Very interesting time for me, who more come from general language and localization area.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:31 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
No, the dictionary lookups are not remembered anywhere. Or at least nowhere that you can get at.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:42 AM   #5
marp68
Addict

okej, then I have explored this idea

When starting with something new like this, there always a lot of ideas coming up
Advert
Old 05-29-2016, 02:21 PM   #6
taos
Connoisseur
taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo HD
I think the only thing you can get from the KoboReader.sqlite database is a list of words you looked up. In the "AnalyticsEvents" table you can search for entries with type "DictionaryLookup". Apart from the date in the "Timestamp" column, the word you were looking for is stored in the "Attributes" column, e.g. {"Dictionary": "en", "Word": "zoo"}. However, I couldn't find the corresponding translations anywhere in the database. So, you would have to get those from somewhere else.
Since I deactivated analytics before I updated the firmware, I can't tell if this still works with the latest firmware - my entries are limited to the first week after I purchased my Kobo Glo HD.

Another place to search for words you have looked up in the dictionary before might be the Kobo eReader.conf file. In the [General] section there is a "DictionaryRecentSearches=..." entry. It seems to only list the words from the dictionary search (not the words you looked up using a long press on a word in an e-book) - regardless if a definition was found or not.
taos is offline   Reply With Quote