Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-21-2016, 06:42 PM   #1
stardest
Enthusiast
stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: None
Onyx N96ML - FBreader unable to update on Google Play???

Does anyone have this issue like I do? FBReader is unable to update. When I go to GooglePlay it shows I have to update FBReader and when I do, it downloads, finishes and then I get an error. So I'm unable to use FBreader at all even though I have the lower version on it.

The only thing I've done to the reader was to update it using the file from Ereader.de's website. I dont know if this is a bug. Anyone or Booxter, help please!
stardest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:19 PM   #2
increduloussus
Enthusiast
increduloussus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!increduloussus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!increduloussus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!increduloussus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!increduloussus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!increduloussus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!increduloussus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!increduloussus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!increduloussus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!increduloussus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!increduloussus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Onyx Boox N96
That's weird,

Out of curiosity I tried this, since I haven't tried FBReader yet.

The play store only gave me the option to "update", not "install"--even though I don't actually have it installed. When I press "update", it downloads successfully, but fails upon install with error code "-104".

Wonder what this is all about.
increduloussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2016, 02:21 PM   #3
increduloussus
Enthusiast
increduloussus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!increduloussus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!increduloussus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!increduloussus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!increduloussus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!increduloussus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!increduloussus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!increduloussus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!increduloussus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!increduloussus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!increduloussus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Interestingly, it does let me install "FBReader PDF plugin", though that doesn't show up in the app list. I was able to uninstall the plugin in the "manage apps" section of settings.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:25 PM   #4
increduloussus
Enthusiast

Oh! FBReader is installed after all! Just like Onyx Neo Reader, it shows up in the list when I go to "manage apps", but it doesn't show up in the list of apps (from the main UI of "ContentBrowser" or "Nova Launcher"). I wonder why this is the case? I have no option to uninstall either app in the "manage apps" section either, so these must be stored in some other hidden directory or something.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:05 PM   #5
stardest
Enthusiast
stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by increduloussus View Post
That's weird,

Out of curiosity I tried this, since I haven't tried FBReader yet.

The play store only gave me the option to "update", not "install"--even though I don't actually have it installed. When I press "update", it downloads successfully, but fails upon install with error code "-104".

Wonder what this is all about.
That's the same thing that happens to mine. (I also installed and uninstalled the FBreader pdf app) I was also able to see FBReader when I open a certain filetype of book and it is listed as one of the choices. At first it was annoying because I definitely would want to uninstall if I can't update but I got over it. Im thinking maybe because we don't have an updated Android 4.0??
stardest is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2016, 02:18 AM   #6
gdornick
Eager reader
gdornick began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle K3, PW1 & PW2, Nexus 5, iPad 2, Onyx Boox i86ML Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardest View Post
That's the same thing that happens to mine. (I also installed and uninstalled the FBreader pdf app) I was also able to see FBReader when I open a certain filetype of book and it is listed as one of the choices. At first it was annoying because I definitely would want to uninstall if I can't update but I got over it. Im thinking maybe because we don't have an updated Android 4.0??
Onyx has a pre-installed version of FBreader which conflicts with the Google Play Store version. It can't be uninstalled (although I think I read somewhere that you could "freeze" FBreader when rooted with Titanium Backup and then install the Google Play Store version, but I am not sure).
In another thread MDP has posted an older version of FBreader which can be installed alongside the Onyx version.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=593

The program name is changed to "FBreader M" so there is no conflict on the e-reader.
It doesn't seem that the PDF-plugin will work with this "FBreader M", but I am not sure.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by gdornick; 06-01-2016 at 02:21 AM.
gdornick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:43 AM   #7
afainber
Connoisseur
afainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the rough

Device: Boyue Likebook Plus, Inkbook Explore
If you root your device, you can uninstall the pre-installed FBReader and install the version from Google Play.
afainber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:00 PM   #8
increduloussus
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by afainber View Post
If you root your device, you can uninstall the pre-installed FBReader and install the version from Google Play.
Interesting. Would this mean that one could conceivably root the device, uninstall Onyx Neo Reader, and then reinstall in a way that makes it visible in the apps list?
Old 06-03-2016, 02:01 PM   #9
nivieru
Enthusiast
nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.

Device: Onyx Nova Air, Onyx boox i86ml plus, nook simple touch
Whether and how an app appears in the apps list is determined by its androidManifest.xml file, which is found inside the apk.
You can use apktool to decompile the apk, than edit the manifest file (see the answer here), and finally recompile and sign it.
nivieru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:19 PM   #10
increduloussus
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivieru View Post
Whether and how an app appears in the apps list is determined by its androidManifest.xml file, which is found inside the apk.
You can use apktool to decompile the apk, than edit the manifest file (see the answer here), and finally recompile and sign it.
Thanks! If I manage to get the courage to root my device I will try to do this. At the moment I'm not wanting to risk bricking the thing.