Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-21-2016, 10:09 AM   #1
zengxg14
zengxg14 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite1
kindle paperwhite1 bricked, HELP!

I use an usb-ttl device connected with my kindle. It shows below text:

Board: Unknown
Boot Reason: [POR]
Boot Device: MMC
Board id:
S/N:
Invalid board id! Can't determine system type for RAM init.. bailing!
DRAM: 0KB
Using default environment.

I searched in google and this forum.
I try an uboot which can boot in fastboot mode directly. It not wok.
I download the uboot source code, add some code to run the idme cmd: write the serial and pcbsn。I got an u-boot.bin after compiled.

I try imx_usb_loader, mfg_tool and sb_loader to load u-boot.bin, all not working.
I checked the imx_usb_loader source code. It first run the plugin code, then load all the u-boot.bin. The second step always fail. Then how about skip the first step.? I change the u-boot.lds (comment the flash_header.o, so it don't load) and run:
sb_loader -trans 0xF8007000 -f u-boot.bin
sb_loader -exec 0xF8007000

The sb_loader tell me "-trans is ok" and "-exec is ok", but nothing happens on serial port.

I want to know how to make the imx_usb_loader or sb_loader work properly?

Some confuse with the usb download mode. Is it transfer the u-boot.bin in RAM?
If it is, why address is 0xF8007000? The RAM size is 256MB. If not, where exactly it transferred?

Really sorry for my poor English.
zengxg14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:27 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Be specific please, not just: "did not work".

In the thread you posted in before:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...93&postcount=1

Which of the steps did you follow (other than installing a new eMMC) and what was the result of each.

When you re-built u-boot, did you follow the directions in that first post about modifying the code?

Do you have your modified u-boot code posted in a public repository?
Where?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2016, 11:47 AM   #3
zengxg14

I read that link before.
I follow https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...on.27s_Sources to build u-boot.
I haven't change imx60_wario.h or imx50_yoshi.h like he did.
I can't understand the 'step 5: fix environment", How did he run the "idme mac XXX" command?

The modify of u-boot code is simple.
cpu/arm_cortexa8/mx50/generic.c:974: printf("CPU: haha Freescale i.MX50 family %d.%dV at %d MHz\n",
I just add "haha" in there. If the u-boot.bin loaded OK, I will see it output.
I never see this output, so i figure the imx_usb_loader not working.

I also add idme code. I don't sure this can work, since the u-boot.bin load failed.

int setup_board_info(void)
{
idme_update_var("pcbsn", "00A1XXXXXXXX");
idme_update_var("serial", "B024XXXXXXXXXX");
idme_update_var("mac", "00:26:xx:xx:xx:xx");
}

I got imx_usb_loader from https://github.com/aditya3098/imx_usb_loader.git
The imx_usb_loader output is below:
parse mx50_usb_work.conf
15a2:0052(KindleTouch) bConfigurationValue =1
Interface 0 claimed
report 1, wrote 16 bytes, err=0
report 3, read 4 bytes, err=0
read=56 78 78 56
u-boot.bin
No dcd table, barker=402000d1
dcd_ptr=0x00000000

loading binary file(u-boot.bin) to f8006000, skip=0, fsize=800 type=aa

<<<2048, 2048 bytes>>>
jumping to 0xf8006400
report 1, wrote 16 bytes, err=0
report 3, read 4 bytes, err=0
read=56 78 78 56
jump_mode 2 plug=1 err=0
u-boot.bin
header_max=1000

loading binary file(u-boot.bin) to f8007000, skip=0, fsize=fc58 type=aa

<<<64600, 64600 bytes>>>
jumping to 0xf800742c

Last edited by zengxg14; 05-21-2016 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:52 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by zengxg14 View Post
I read that link before.
- - - -
Now try following it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 12:26 PM   #5
zengxg14

Trying to follow "Step 3: Prepare U-boot image", after add all those defines. Compile failed.
Maybe the board type different has some effects. PW1 is imx50_yoshi.
I'll try to fix compile error tomorrow. ....
Advert
Old 05-21-2016, 12:50 PM   #6
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
int setup_board_info(void)
{
idme_update_var("pcbsn", "00A1xxxxxxxxxxxx");
idme_update_var("serial", "B02416xxxxxxxxxx");
idme_update_var("mac", "00:26:xx:xx:xx:xx");
}
Yes, that looks like what I did after I accidentally killed my K4 idme vars, back before we had any realistic debricking methods. I used MfgTool to upload and run my custom u-boot image.

Notice how I replaced significant portions of your identifying info with 'xx'? That is to prevent somebody else from using your identifying info, and buying stuff using your kindle account, or eventually getting your kindle blacklisted (like what happened to twobob's wife's DXG when he published too much information).

You should edit your post like I did (assuming your info was not fictitious to begin with)...

And just for educational purposes, a kindle cannot boot with corrupt idme info, because it needs that to determine HOW to initialize internal SD-RAM before it can continue. You can see that in the u-boot source code. However, it is nice to know that the u-boot images I prepared to temporarily set the idme bootmode var (still used in kubrick) worked on all the kindles with a "magic key", specifically BECAUSE of using the idme PCBSN to decide how to init SD-RAM...

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-21-2016 at 12:53 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 01:10 PM   #7
zengxg14

Thanks a lot, geekmaster. I have change the post.

"the u-boot images I prepared to temporarily set the idme bootmode var (still used in kubrick) worked on all the kindles with a "magic key""
Does this mean it can not work on PW1? I will try it anyway.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:46 PM   #8
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Thanks a lot, geekmaster. I have change the post.

"the u-boot images I prepared to temporarily set the idme bootmode var (still used in kubrick) worked on all the kindles with a "magic key""
Does this mean it can not work on PW1? I will try it anyway.
A PW1 does not have a "magic key" (The HOME key on a K5/Touch). I never opened my PW1 and prodded around looking for a magic key -- the existing K5 jailbreak just worked on it out of the box:
http://hackaday.com/2012/10/05/jailb...le-paperwhite/

And my PW1 grew legs and went walkabout during a trip to California, so I no longer HAVE a PW1. I left it registered to my amazon account, but I changed its name to "Reward if returned: xxx-xxx-xxxx" (my phone number). It seems to have had no activity though, so perhaps it was just factory reset and never registered to another amazon account.

So who knows? Perhaps there is a "magic key" testpoint inside the PW1 somewhere, but no buttons on the outside...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote