Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-26-2016, 02:55 PM   #1
DropDeadAlex
DropDeadAlex began at the beginning.

Device: PW1, PW3
PW1 with AmazonACC disabled

Hello guys, my PW1 has some dead pixels. I call Amazon and them offers me a new PW. Fortunately, the old one will stay with me, since they don't offer collect service in my country.

I already know that the old one will be incapable to login in Amazon Account and lost the cloud services. I wanna know what exactly features will stop to work and if theres a way to prevent most lost of features
DropDeadAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 03:56 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropDeadAlex View Post
Hello guys, my PW1 has some dead pixels. I call Amazon and them offers me a new PW. Fortunately, the old one will stay with me, since they don't offer collect service in my country.

I already know that the old one will be incapable to login in Amazon Account and lost the cloud services. I wanna know what exactly features will stop to work and if theres a way to prevent most lost of features
Which firmware version? 5.6.1.1?

Is it jailbroken? Will you be using a 'fake registration'?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2016, 05:53 PM   #3
DropDeadAlex

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Which firmware version? 5.6.1.1?

Is it jailbroken? Will you be using a 'fake registration'?
Yeah, unfortunately it's the 5.6.1.1, but I made a JailBreak (root) before this upgrade. THis upgrade runs automatically and I lost partially the JB.

I Don't even know the Fake Registration
Old 03-26-2016, 06:05 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropDeadAlex View Post
Yeah, unfortunately it's the 5.6.1.1, but I made a JailBreak (root) before this upgrade. THis upgrade runs automatically and I lost partially the JB.

I Don't even know the Fake Registration
5.6.1.1 on the PW-1 is an exception for the 5.6.x series, it can be downgraded.
There is a thread here on the subject.

Unless the JB is too old, a simple restart **should** re-install it.

If that fails, try the 'hotfix' package on it.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1597

and if both of the above fail, then you will have to downgrade it to re-install the jailbreak.

The 'fake registration' has its own thread, but it allows the Kindle to use some of the features otherwise disabled (such as collections).

You tell us what firmware version you will decide to run on it and if you will be using a "fake" or "real" registration - -

Then, we might be able to tell you what features you will lose.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:28 PM   #5
DropDeadAlex

I will have to downgrade. Do you recommend an specific firmware version? and is it better to use a real registration? what's the difference compared to a fake one?
Advert
Old 03-26-2016, 06:31 PM   #6
DropDeadAlex

and is it possible? I didn't think I could have a real registration under those circumstances.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:37 PM   #7
DropDeadAlex

I guess I made a kindle-jailbreak-1.10.N in the past
Old 03-27-2016, 12:06 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Amazon will blacklist the old device to disable signing into your Amazon account.

The only things you cannot do with a blacklisted device:
  1. Shop/download from the Kindle Store.
  2. Use collections.
    The Fake Registration hack will enable this, but you could also manage collections using LibrarianSync or Collections Manager.
  3. Wikipedia lookup. Maybe any ACX (what about Bing Translate)?
    This is proxied through Amazon's servers (translated from Wiki page to something the Kindle ACX can use) so there isn't a good solution or workaround -- maybe you could write your own ACX and set up an alternative endpoint.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pw1