Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-21-2016, 04:38 PM   #1
NSILMike
Guru
NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Lenovo Android Tablet
Calibre-parallel.exe glitch?

Occasionally this process which normally seems to consume about 15 to 90MB of memory in each of the 2 or 3 parallel processes that run jumps to consume huge amounts of memory in one or more thread (up to 850MB.) When it does so, my windows 7 (core I3 with 4GB's of DRAM, running 64-bit windows 7) system becomes virtually non-responsive.
This issue has been repetitive but doesn't happen so often that it becomes a problem, until recently.
It has survived thru many many calibre updates. My system is otherwise fine, and no other processes suffer this issue. Anyone have any ideas? Or has anyone else seen the same issue...?
NSILMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:51 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You just gave it a big task to digest

W/only 4G RAM, have loads of VM space avail

Preferences: Behavior: job priority: Low

Preferences: Miscellaneous: Limit the max jobs to CPU cores
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2016, 06:18 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Pretty sure I only see more than one parallel.exe when calibre is doing jobs (conversions, word counts etc)

I have Prefs->Misc->Max simultaneous... jobs set to 1. I did some tests, and satisfied myself that doing what I do, on my rig, it is significantly faster to do 4 jobs serially that it is to do the same 4 jobs in parallel - and while they're chugging along I can do something else.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 06:29 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I personally prefer to set it to one less than the number of CPU cores. Leaving one "free" core makes the system a lot more responsive when doing lengthy conversions. Obviously, though, this is very much a matter of personal preference.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:34 AM   #5
NSILMike
Guru
NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Pretty sure I only see more than one parallel.exe when calibre is doing jobs (conversions, word counts etc)

I have Prefs->Misc->Max simultaneous... jobs set to 1. I did some tests, and satisfied myself that doing what I do, on my rig, it is significantly faster to do 4 jobs serially that it is to do the same 4 jobs in parallel - and while they're chugging along I can do something else.

BR
I have the downloads scheduled in Calibre such that no more than 2 are simultaneous. (Calibre starts up automatically as a scheduled task, and then the news sources download per the schedule.) My suspicion is that there may be a memory leak or some other glitch in Calibre. This has been going on thru several updates but not longer than a 'few' months. Also, the issue is inconsistent. It may happen 2 or 3 times a week on random days.
Advert
Old 03-22-2016, 07:35 AM   #6
NSILMike
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You just gave it a big task to digest

W/only 4G RAM, have loads of VM space avail

Preferences: Behavior: job priority: Low

Perhaps, but I doubt it. See my other post from today.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:51 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSILMike View Post
I have the downloads scheduled in Calibre such that no more than 2 are simultaneous. (Calibre starts up automatically as a scheduled task, and then the news sources download per the schedule.) My suspicion is that there may be a memory leak or some other glitch in Calibre. This has been going on thru several updates but not longer than a 'few' months. Also, the issue is inconsistent. It may happen 2 or 3 times a week on random days.
@NSILMike - Is the 'fat' parallel.exe present after your news downloads have finished, and is there a news source that doesn't down load daily - e.g. if you had a newsfeed that downloaded the 'After Deadline' column from NYT, you wouldn't get that every day.

In other words is there a direct correlation between intermittent 'fat' parallels and one or more irregular news downloads.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:04 PM   #8
NSILMike
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@NSILMike - Is the 'fat' parallel.exe present after your news downloads have finished, and is there a news source that doesn't down load daily - e.g. if you had a newsfeed that downloaded the 'After Deadline' column from NYT, you wouldn't get that every day.

In other words is there a direct correlation between intermittent 'fat' parallels and one or more irregular news downloads.

BR
1) I don't know. I kill Calibre via the task manager, and start over to fix this.
2) Yes, but this occurrence doesn't correlate to any specific download schedule as far as I can tell... and per my 'corrective action' in point one it doesn't reoccur so doesn't seem to be repetitive per specific news feeds...
Thanks though.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:45 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre-parallel.exe is a short lived worker process. A couple of them are kept idling around and when a new job starts it si assigned to one. If you are seeing excessive memory consumption, it means one of the news downlaod jobs (or conversion) is causing it. Just let it run, once the job completes, the process will be killed automatically.

And if you want to find out which one it is, download all your scheduled news one by one manually.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:07 AM   #10
NSILMike
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
[snipped]

And if you want to find out which one it is, download all your scheduled news one by one manually.
Not worth that effort... and it might not reveal it anyway, as when it happens, it is not consistently at the same stage in my download schedule (which is why I suspected a memory leak or similar.) Plus as I think I mentioned I kill Calibre via the task manager when it happens, and wait until all Calibre processes have stopped before restarting it. So far it has not yet reoccurred when I've done that... which again suggests to me that it is a glitch and not a power-hungry download since that download would restart. So far, I have not had to kill the process twice.