Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-21-2016, 01:18 PM   #1
Eisfreak7
Eisfreak7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW 3
Change the path of a device

Hi,
I'm trying to make managing my kindle with calibre as seemless as possible. For that I'm now mounting my Kindle via sshfs. However, the mounted kindle is not detected by calibre by default. Even when I symlink /mnt/us (from the kindle) to /media/Kindle (where the kindle is normally mounted when plugged in via usb) calibre doesn't detect it.
When I manually select the folder via the "Connect/Share" button, it works, but Calibre apparently doesn't recognize it as the same device it does when accessing over USB.
This is most apparent, because the Kindle Collections plugin isn't configured for this "new" device.

How do I get calibre to recognize the kindle (preferably automatically) as the same device as over usb?

As an additional question: Is it possible to automatically regenerate the Collections with the Kindle Collections plugin after every book pushed to the kindle or possibly when closing calibre? Apparently Kindle Collections has no command-line interface.
I'd also like to be able to run a command after Kindle Collections has run (`ssh kindle /mnt/us/extensions/librariansync/generate_collections.py --update-calibre`, to update the collections on the kindle).
Is that possible?
Eisfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:44 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You cannot. devices are recognized based on USB ids not filesystem contents.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2016, 12:28 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You could of course create your own device driver subclassing the KINDLE2 driver and make it replace the folder device driver -- it would then act like the Kindle driver etc.

Your additional questions are best asked in the Kindle Collections plugin support thread.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:35 AM   #4
Eisfreak7
Eisfreak7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW 3
Thank you, that's unfortunate.
I'll do that.
Eisfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote