Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 11-22-2004, 10:30 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
From Palm to PPC: my new Axim x50v

I am holding a new x50v in my hands and all I can say so far: it is a totally NEW experience! I am not sure about the Pros and Contras, since I haven't had much of a chance to play with it yet.

Rest assured I will post more about my new journey into the PPC realm in a couple of days!
Old 11-22-2004, 10:34 AM   #2
clicclic
clicclic began at the beginning.

Device: Zire 72
does it fit in your pocket?

the Zire 72 does...
Advert
Old 11-22-2004, 10:39 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Heh, it always depends on the size of the pocket

Seriously I don't think it would fit. In my case this doesn't make a difference because I always carry my PDAs in a backpack; but I see that at least for some people form factor and size are important factors as well.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:07 AM   #4
clicclic
clicclic began at the beginning.

Device: Zire 72
to be honest the only time i ever put my Z72 in my pocket is when I need a little private time on the "throne." I carry mine in my backpack with my NX70 too.

If you always carried your pda in your pocket, the best one would probably be the M515. I wish they'd update that model with 320x320!!
Old 11-22-2004, 11:16 AM   #5
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
Maybe I just have big pockets, but I carry my T|E in its Rhinoskin case in my pocket all the time. And I've been carrying a x30 around in my pocket lately too (though not at the same time!). It's never caused me much problem...
Advert
Old 11-22-2004, 12:50 PM   #6
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
Alex, I'm totally looking forward to your thoughts on your new Axim. I'm still debating the mid-range X30. Maybe 'debating' is the wrong term. Lusting? Yea, that's it. Though the suped up vga model of the X50 is out of my league (and price range) completely, I'm interested to hear what a battle weary hardcore PalmOS'er like your fine self has to say about the 'transition', particularly going from a Clie to a PPC.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:32 PM   #7
Brad
Zealot
Brad doesn't litterBrad doesn't litterBrad doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3 / EB1150 /iPhone
Congrats on the new PPC.

Quote:
Rest assured I will post more about my new journey into the PPC realm in a couple of days!
I am interested in you observations too.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:34 PM   #8
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Alex, to make it somewhat easier on you I recommend you visit Rich Hall's wonderful resource about maximizing the use and enjoyment of your Pocket PC.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:36 PM   #9
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
Gah, I would not trust Microsoft with my PDA EVER.

I'm swapping to an older Clié from my Zaurus for my main work - I need it to sync with my Mac, and to *just work* well. The Zaurus PIMs are... lacking.

But my Zaurus goes to become my network tool. Cracking, packet sniffing, everything.

But back on topic: I would never buy a Pocket PC. Microsoft is evil. And really cannot be trusted. Of course, that's really my opinion....
Old 11-22-2004, 02:40 PM   #10
Zire
Fanatic
Zire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zire 71
The gaming is better too...

Emulators galore here http://www.pdarcade.com/modules.php?...icle&artid=102
Old 11-22-2004, 02:47 PM   #11
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

I don't know that any of us is really hot and heavy on going into a Windo$e based platform, but as has been discussed ad nauseum, PalmOne is leaving users little choice.

They are losing market share, and the product offerings are not only outrageously expensive, but they haven't perfected the big RAM-fast processor-wifi-and-bluetooth solution that many PPC manu's have gotten together. Let's face facts: Sony dropped out of the game completely because they couldn't make any money and PO is going into the smartphone arena (unsuccessfully if you read my post on the Treo 650's problems).

So, again, what choices does that leave us with?
Old 11-22-2004, 04:53 PM   #12
brahamt
Groupie
brahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Palm Tungsten T3
Sony still makes Clies, just not in the United States. I understand they just came out with a really cool one called (NZ-90something or other).

In any case, Alex, tell me all the really cool things you can do with that thing (watch movies, play MP3s, etc).

I've been contemplating a move to PPC and this might be the push.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:32 PM   #13
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Welcome to the club at last, Alex!!!

I'm keen to see your observations of the switchover as well.

Hey Thierry, check out some of the other threads in the PPC forum, we've made a couple about things you can do, what to install, good software, etc

Craig (currently watching Phantom Menace with Betaplayer on his h1930 in perfect 320x240 resolution.... sigh ).
Old 11-24-2004, 02:25 PM   #14
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Here's a lead for a new program that might be of use to help with VGA support. (But I haven't heard anything about it yet, so you might want to do a backup first!)
http://www.freewareppc.com/utilities/ozvga.shtml
The lone comment says it's better than seVGA, so maybe it's worth trying.

Edit: It now shows up also at http://www.pocketpcfreewares.com/en/index.php?soft=1227
with some more description.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:35 PM   #15
sUnShInE
Drama Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by brahamt
Sony still makes Clies, just not in the United States. I understand they just came out with a really cool one called (NZ-90something or other).
You're referring to the VZ90, which is actually available to the US market for import, but it's hardly a Clie. It's more like a product that has the Clie name and is kinda sorta but not really a handheld either...more like a handtop or mini-Vaio. My friend checked it out in Japan, and she said that it's pretty and kinda cool, but it's clearly not worth the retail they're asking: about $800.

Sony completely closed the Clie developers site (see my post here at MR elsewehere), which is the final nail in the coffin. It's pretty safe to assume that they won't be making any more handhelds.